Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep

480 litres in the boil

Which is faster to boil water off?

Kettle or the pan?

View attachment 47467
Sweet kettle setup !
For the pan, it's best to use 4 inch solid concrete blocks laid flat ways, they will last a few years, and keep the blocks close to the edge of the pan so they don't draw away heat or reduce the area in contact with fire. Even a short length of chimney helps immensely because it gives the fire a draft and direction to go.
Must be running like crazy this year, weather has been perfect.

Sweet kettle setup !
For the pan, it's best to use 4 inch solid concrete blocks laid flat ways, they will last a few years, and keep the blocks close to the edge of the pan so they don't draw away heat or reduce the area in contact with fire. Even a short length of chimney helps immensely because it gives the fire a draft and direction to go.
Must be running like crazy this year, weather has been perfect.

10 gals today from 85 spigots

Mine are barely running still. Same with the neighbours. Amazing what a few minutes of latitude can do.

You did it the best way (y) first run and have fun.
Trees are plugged and that's a sign that riding season is here every year :cool:
Time to get your spring rides in before the black flies arrive.

You did it the best way (y) first run and have fun.
Trees are plugged and that's a sign that riding season is here every year :cool:
Time to get your spring rides in before the black flies arrive.

I need to get the ice tires off....

I need to get the ice tires off....
You need 2 motorcycles right now ;) one with and one without studs
actually my studs are just sheet metal screws on trashed tires, so it makes no difference.
Bought a brand new Michelin lite front tire and tube at Woody's awesome motorcycle shop near Perth today, soon as the frost goes out of the ground I'll change the tires for brand new.

She’s a silver, very soft and messy. Silvers are bad foe snapping off, this one has crashed the house a few times.
View attachment 47398

I have a couple of Norway’s too, nasty weed trees all of them. I cut one of the Norway’s down 15 years ago, the stump still sends up a hundred 6’ suckers every year.
What does the syrup from a Norway taste like? Is it the same but the Sugar maple produces more? To late for this year but????
My Norway is a decent size and I'd only tap it as a lark but I have to be careful not to do anything to it that would cause damage. City laws, big fine.

What does the syrup from a Norway taste like? Is it the same but the Sugar maple produces more? To late for this year but????
My Norway is a decent size and I'd only tap it as a lark but I have to be careful not to do anything to it that would cause damage. City laws, big fine.
Norway Maple produces less sugar, lower yield. Tapping trees kills them but they are still great for firewood afterwards. The ones you might not want to tap in the city are the ones that you are going to need to pay to have professionally removed some day.

... did you know you can tap birch trees? also low sugar producing but people sell it.

Norway Maple produces less sugar, lower yield. Tapping trees kills them but they are still great for firewood afterwards. The ones you might not want to tap in the city are the ones that you are going to need to pay to have professionally removed some day.

... did you know you can tap birch trees? also low sugar producing but people sell it.

I've tasted birch syrup. It tastes like molasses but many times the price. I think the ratio is 80:1

I see one of the wood suppliers is selling tap hole maple as a specialty wood, tap holes with interesting staining. OK for artsy projects but I wouldn't want room full of it.

Have lots of tree burls too if you want artsy wood grain projects :cool:

44.35 versus your 44.40 if you are in Sydenham.

Very close to the same latitude.

But this season has been early
Yeah, I was half joking. I'm actually around 44.44, but I'm sure a big part of it is the shade in the area, and my neighbour's trees are on a North facing slope.

Back
Top Bottom