Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep

No sap here. -6C currently

Ran last on Wednesday.

I have 350L of sap.
Your killing me on collections. I’m at 160 from 3 trees. Should have that first batch boiled down and finished by tomorrow.

I bought a cheapie induction hot plate, might a well be using a BIC lighter. Bad idea, can’t keep the temp up.

Your killing me on collections. I’m at 160 from 3 trees. Should have that first batch boiled down and finished by tomorrow.

I bought a cheapie induction hot plate, might a well be using a BIC lighter. Bad idea, can’t keep the temp up.
You need to make sure you've got lots of iron in your pot, or the induction won't do anything. An old cast iron cauldron would be the bomb, except for the round bottom.

You need to make sure you've got lots of iron in your pot, or the induction won't do anything. An old cast iron cauldron would be the bomb, except for the round bottom.
1875 watts isnt much if you are putting it into a huge pot. You could measure the power draw and see if it is working as hard as possible but I suspect it just doesnt have enough power.

Edit:
Induction burner is ~6000 btu. Propane turkey burner is ~200,000 btu.

1875 watts isnt much if you are putting it into a huge pot. You could measure the power draw and see if it is working as hard as possible but I suspect it just doesnt have enough power.

Edit:
Induction burner is ~6000 btu. Propane turkey burner is ~200,000 btu.
The pot has a steel bottom, it’s professional cookware. Just not enough juice when operating outside.

Back the the gas burner.

Another trick for the impatient is to pull off the frozen sap early in the season. The frozen sap has less sugar content, so boiling off the unfrozen speeds up the process.

save the frozen stuff, it makes equally good syrup, just takes longer to boil down.
Let me get this right, you are throwing away your frozen sap because you think it contains less sugar :/ Try eating some of it.
If you want to optimize the sugar content of your sap, you should get a refractometer and only tap the sweetest trees ;)

How much do you make trials? Gifts for friends? Maple sugar in all your baking.
Depends on the year, I have too much left over from last year to boil off this season, I tap about 100 trees normally, yields 8 or so gallons typically but I make it far thicker then legal so it's actually called maple candy. It's awesome in home made buttertarts

Let me get this right, you are throwing away your frozen sap because you think it contains less sugar :/ Try eating some of it.
If you want to optimize the sugar content of your sap, you should get a refractometer and only tap the sweetest trees ;)
No I don’t toss anything. I pull off the frozen stuff and save it for later. The unfrozen boils down faster - I’m just impatient.

I don’t really have a choice, I have 6 maples in my yard. One is a girthy monster, it’s a silver and will take 6 taps.
4C385D92-E82A-432B-AB30-D547085ED706.jpeg
F371595F-2C43-4E7D-96D4-BA46F1A57040.jpeg

Last edited:
No I don’t toss anything. I pull off the frozen stuff and save it for later. The unfrozen boils down faster - I’m just impatient.

I don’t really have a choice, I have 6 maples in my yard. One is a girthy monster, it’s a silver and will take 6 taps.
View attachment 47396
View attachment 47397
That looks like you might have a Norway Maple there, check the leaves out later in the year.

That looks like you might have a Norway Maple there, check the leaves out later in the year.
She’s a silver, very soft and messy. Silvers are bad foe snapping off, this one has crashed the house a few times.
C806A149-734B-49AC-A6DC-D8650BB1FD50.jpeg

I have a couple of Norway’s too, nasty weed trees all of them. I cut one of the Norway’s down 15 years ago, the stump still sends up a hundred 6’ suckers every year.

I got 40l today. A bit disappointing, 2 trees pumping strong, 1 tree is still not running.

As of last night mine still hadn't started. Must not be enough sun at the bottom of the hill.

Back
Top Bottom