Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep | GTAMotorcycle.com

Maple sap buckets hung but the snow is deep

When do you figure it’s going to be warm enough to flow

Love taking my grandkids on the St Jacobs tour. Big enclosed horse drawn wagon. The kids sit right up front and jump up and down when the horses take a dump. Almost as good as the maple taffy.

Warm days cold nights with the frost starting to go out of the ground, low wind.
and no rain with open buckets.

Now he just needs about 200 more gallons of sap and he's good to start boiling.

Already flowing here,

As soon as maple syrup ends, riding season starts ? thus has it always been

We sled through a bush that's piped for sap. Miles of tubing strung from tree to tree. Apparently squirrels like the taste of the tubing....

I remember seeing tons of that Maple Syrup tubing when riding trails in Quebec years ago!
Put mine in last week, not a drop till today. 6 trees, got 40l today.F570637C-4D4B-4DC4-850B-78167C2A39ED.jpeg

My neighbour just had a maple tree taken down. It was about 24" in diameter but the hole inside was almost as big. I just found out that it was sugar maple. How much syrup do you get per tree? I could have run a tube for all these years.

He now has $3,000 worth of firewood.

Another friend tapped trees at his cottage and learned the hard way not to boil it down in the kitchen unless you like painting ceilings.

In honour of this thread I shall make some crumpets and anoint them with some dark syrup.

The farm just north of me has kept records of their annual harvest for i think the last 60 years. Dates, quantities of sap, syrup, times and temps.
They run a horse drawn wagon from the St Jacobs farmers market to the farm for a tour. Great for kids with farm animals etc.

Back
Top Bottom