Lucrative "Unskilled" Job Opportunities Worldwide | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lucrative "Unskilled" Job Opportunities Worldwide

knowledge

Site Supporter
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you guys knew of anything. All that I really know of is mining in Alberta or Canada. Or trimming weed farms in California;

I want to spend the next little bit of my life alternating between working & traveling...so I don't mind grinding it out for 4-6 months at a time if it means that I can travel for 6-8.

The current plan's to end up in Australia trying for a mining, marketing, or bartending job (in that order)...but the plan's open to change if I manage to find something else. Toronto doesn't really feel like home anymore, so I figured I might as well move around until I can leave again.

If you've got a degree (and possibly even if you don't) you can teach English in any number of countries. I've not done that in going on 7 years now, but last I heard one of the best places for take home pay after expenses is Taiwan. Japan has high salaries but an equally high cost of living. Korea is up there. Thailand, Indonesia, etc are low paying, but the cost of living can be low too.

How much are you looking to earn? I know of a company looking for a warehouse manager. They want someone hard working with good work ethic.

GTAM Moderator

I'd say head to Alberta for seed money.
Work 8mths - make 6 figures then head your way to Australia. Should have enough seed money to carry you a while. A friend of mine works out there. I've thought about it.
Very tough work. Not for the timid. But if you can suck it up the pay out is huge. That and you can bank it and not spend it on hookers and booze. :)

A friend of mine has his Master's degree in geology and is currently working in Australia. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with him.
Thanks, Wobblycat...that would actually help so much as I've almost exhausted all of my contacts in Western Australia. I'm hoping to touch down in Australia for December or January. From what everyone tells me, it's getting harder and harder as it isn't exactly a secret how much money can be made and now there's a more strict preference for Australians. I was actually going to call every week when I got there. I read of an Irish guy who did that and was willing to fly west in a moment's notice; he got his foot in the door that way.

If you've got a degree (and possibly even if you don't) you can teach English in any number of countries. I've not done that in going on 7 years now, but last I heard one of the best places for take home pay after expenses is Taiwan. Japan has high salaries but an equally high cost of living. Korea is up there. Thailand, Indonesia, etc are low paying, but the cost of living can be low too.
I'm sure it would be pretty culturally enriching, but I'm not sure the TEFL route's for me at this point. Where did you teach? China actually pays surprisingly well, too. The only thing is that you tend to live in really disgusting cities sometimes (which isn't necessarily a negative experience, either). The problem with low-paying/low cost is that I'd have a lot of disposable income, but only for the country that I'm in. I could live like a king while I was there, but a plane ticket anywhere would be all of my savings. :(

How much are you looking to earn? I know of a company looking for a warehouse manager. They want someone hard working with good work ethic.
Now? You know I'm good for it!:D I'll PM you.
& open your bar already!

Work 8mths - make 6 figures then head your way to Australia. Should have enough seed money to carry you a while. A friend of mine works out there. I've thought about it.
Very tough work. Not for the timid. But if you can suck it up the pay out is huge. That and you can bank it and not spend it on hookers and booze. :)
The only reason I'm shying away from it is because I'd like to save Alberta for a backup plan. The Australian dollar's higher and the salary itself is a lot higher for the same work. Do they do 3 weeks on 1 week off in Alberta, as well? Metalworkers are also making a killing in all the prairie provinces, last I heard. It's all trade/skilled work and out of the question for me, unfortunately. But if it's just money you're after and don't mind being tied down, it's a booming industry right now.

Last edited:
dishwashing, housekeeping, valet, prep cook, bellman, most hotel jobs require a presentable appearance and good attitude and are lucrative and available in every country in the world

Now? You know I'm good for it!:D I'll PM you.
& open your bar already!

Alright, letme talk to the owners of the place whenever you're ready (I'll vouch for you so don't let me down). I was talking to them about foreign worker program and what I heard from others about it. I'm not sure if they are going to go that route or not. I'm actually considering the program myself for certain positions.

man whore

/thread

Vietnam is considered one of the best places to teach English compared to standard of living. You'd make about $1500/mth while the locals average wage is about $100/mth. Teaching cert and degree would be helpful but not important. All they care about is that you look white and can entertain the kids so schools can make money of the parents. Beer is about $0.20 and a full meal is less than $1. I was looking at a place with swimming pool, security guards, full maid service, discounted meals, a/c 24/7 and lots of foreigners in the area all for $150/mth. It's in a quiet upper class area. Last time I was there street was pretty empty so I raced up and down it.

I'm heading to Vietnam this January and possibly staying there for years. I know a guy that works 4 weeks in and 2 weeks out on the off-shore oil rigs in Vietnam. If you're interested for future job considerations I'll ask him.

Isnt getting a work visa in Australia harder than for the usa?

You can get a "working holiday visa" which allows you to live and work for one year, pretty sure it can be extended for another year easily.

OP, I can't really give you suggestions on how to do it, only not to delay and do it. I've been putting off something similar for five years now, the possibility is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Thanks, Wobblycat...that would actually help so much as I've almost exhausted all of my contacts in Western Australia. I'm hoping to touch down in Australia for December or January. From what everyone tells me, it's getting harder and harder as it isn't exactly a secret how much money can be made and now there's a more strict preference for Australians. I was actually going to call every week when I got there. I read of an Irish guy who did that and was willing to fly west in a moment's notice; he got his foot in the door that way..

Sending email or calling wont get the real responses. The mining companies are ALWAYS hiring, however there is a lot of people that waste their time claiming they want to work for them etc and then never turn up so they tend to take emails and phone calls with a grain of salt.

If you want a job there, just rock up on their door step, resume in hand and safety boots on foot..

The unemployment rate is much lower in Aus and there is still tons of work to be had.

Good thing about mining is you get LOTS of time off (most guys I know work either 2 weeks on 2 weeks off or 3 weeks on 1 week off) so you will have the cash and time to travel around the country and see the sights.

Vietnam is considered one of the best places to teach English compared to standard of living. You'd make about $1500/mth while the locals average wage is about $100/mth. Teaching cert and degree would be helpful but not important. All they care about is that you look white and can entertain the kids so schools can make money of the parents. Beer is about $0.20 and a full meal is less than $1. I was looking at a place with swimming pool, security guards, full maid service, discounted meals, a/c 24/7 and lots of foreigners in the area all for $150/mth. It's in a quiet upper class area. Last time I was there street was pretty empty so I raced up and down it.

I'm heading to Vietnam this January and possibly staying there for years. I know a guy that works 4 weeks in and 2 weeks out on the off-shore oil rigs in Vietnam. If you're interested for future job considerations I'll ask him.
That's nuts! Thailand's around 900/month with roughly the same living costs. on days where I didn't do anything, it would cost me 4 dollars a day. The only thing is that Vietnam might have less recreation activities when you're off work...but it sounds like you're cool with relaxing, anyway.

I'm seriously interested. 4 weeks on/2 weeks off would be perfect! But at this point, I don't really care what the splits are, as long as I find something. Please let me know :D

Isnt getting a work visa in Australia harder than for the usa?
It's easy for the first world countries, but especially easy for the British Commonwealth. Only thing is that after 30, your chances of getting approved are a lot lower because it's the youth working holiday visa. You can actually get 2 consecutive visas, but to stay for the 2nd year, you have to pick fruits for 3 months.

Sending email or calling wont get the real responses. The mining companies are ALWAYS hiring, however there is a lot of people that waste their time claiming they want to work for them etc and then never turn up so they tend to take emails and phone calls with a grain of salt.
Thanks - that's actually a really good point. I'm pretty excited to get out there, to be honest. I'm really hoping some of these leads come through. Either way, I appreciate the sentiment.

I'm sure it would be pretty culturally enriching, but I'm not sure the TEFL route's for me at this point. Where did you teach? China actually pays surprisingly well, too. The only thing is that you tend to live in really disgusting cities sometimes (which isn't necessarily a negative experience, either). The problem with low-paying/low cost is that I'd have a lot of disposable income, but only for the country that I'm in. I could live like a king while I was there, but a plane ticket anywhere would be all of my savings. :(

I taught in Jakarta. 7 years ago when I left I was making around $1500USD per month, and Indonesia is pretty cheap, but I didn't save a penny. It is easy to live like a king down there -- 5 star restaurants and hotels, weekend trips to Bali, Sumatra, or wherever, and drinking and partying every night eats up all of your income.

I only made that much because of my contacts though... the cheap schools like EF only paid about $800 to $1000 a month, but I spent years down there and had lots of good contacts to help find the good jobs. In the end I had to leave to save myself. 6 years on and off partying and living it up in Jakarta, riding motorcycles through those mad streets and I felt like I was tempting fate. I was the only Westerner I knew down there that rode bike and didn't crash it -- lost a couple buddies that way. I got out just before I turned 30.

Alberta is not a walk in the park anymore and has not been for a while. Yes, the jobs there are MUCH easier to get.. but the cost of living (rent) is extremely high. It's almost not worth the move.

Check Kijiji for rentals and you will see. Then compare it with the 20% higher pay you receive.

Bottom line - you are not going to go from unemployed here to $100k anywhere unless you have the skills and experience to do so.

In the end I had to leave to save myself. 6 years on and off partying and living it up in Jakarta, riding motorcycles through those mad streets and I felt like I was tempting fate. I was the only Westerner I knew down there that rode bike and didn't crash it -- lost a couple buddies that way. I got out just before I turned 30.
I hear 'ya, man. I've pretty much been detoxing since I got back from traveling. I imagine you'd have some wild stories to tell! Luckily, I got tired of the partying towards the end of my trip. Do you ever miss that kind of lifestyle, or have you sort of grown out of it? And what do you do now, if you don't mind me asking? I ask 'cause a lot of the teachers that I've met who have gotten out of it never seem to really get over it.

Alberta is not a walk in the park anymore and has not been for a while. Yes, the jobs there are MUCH easier to get.. but the cost of living (rent) is extremely high. It's almost not worth the move.

Check Kijiji for rentals and you will see. Then compare it with the 20% higher pay you receive.

Bottom line - you are not going to go from unemployed here to $100k anywhere unless you have the skills and experience to do so.
Do employers not offer room any more? Last I heard, the ones in the middle of bum**** nowhere had lodging covered.

The caveat is Australia (even 18 year olds are making 50k a year minimum). If you adjust for the higher cost of living and factor in that their dollar is worth slightly more, you still end up ahead. And I made this thread to see if there might be any more.

You might have misunderstood what I'm asking for: I'm not looking for a shortcut or an easy way out. I've been working 6-7 days a week for the past 3 years, between 3-5 jobs...so I'm willing to put the work in. But I'd rather get paid more at the end of it all. The only difference is that I'd be working slightly less, making more, and I would actually get a week off once a month (to me, that week off is just an added bonus that I never expected, anyway).

And instead of working my way up the corporate ladder again and getting promoted to have more responsibilities and work more hours for a marginal increase in pay, I'd rather just make more to begin with. Besides, I'm not at a point in my life where I care about the prestige or title of my work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom