lubing my clutch cable | GTAMotorcycle.com

lubing my clutch cable

toastywaffles

Site Supporter
So I'm planning on lubing my clutch cable tomorrow using the gravity plastic bag method... anyways I'm trying to figure out what lube / oil is best.

I've got three choices of lubes/oils on hand:

1. Rotella T synthetic
  2. Dupont Teflon multi-use
  3. 3-in-1 White Lithium Grease

Anyone have recommendations? And no, my bike is too cool to have a teflon-cable or anything fancy... just good old braided cable.

Cable luber and use chain lube.

i have one, feel free to borrow it. just PM

i have one, feel free to borrow it. just PM
I was gonna offer to loan him mine, but they're so cheap that it's not worth the gas money.

damn i love this forum! Thanks everyone for the help, it turns out I'm not working today, so it's off to Princess Auto I go!

nice! I got useful info from this thread too

Gonna do the same thing and grab a cable luber! :)

3 seconds of spraying vs leaving a bag filled with dripping oil hanging over your bike = no-brainer :cool: Just make sure to clamp it down right and when you do, the lube will be coming out the other end of the cable almost as soon as you start spraying.

Definitely worth the 10 bucks or so... just make sure you use a rag at each end for your spills :)

I kid you not, the bike feels brand spanking new. Thanks again FiReSTaRT for pointing out where to get the cable luber from.

Got up to Princess Auto and the staff were just amazing. For those hesitant about the distance, it's a rather quick ride, and very very worth it.

Ended up using Dupont multi-purpose which is the same stuff I've been using for my chain, kickstands, levers, choke adjuster, etc.. that stuff is magic in a can!

Anyways, if you're reading this, it's because you just realized how important your clutch cable really is... so go on and grab yourself one dammit! (or PM me and I'll gladly let you use mine)

I'm glad it did the trick. I paid a couple of extra bucks for the same thing off fleabay because I didn't even know they had it at PA.

I kid you not, the bike feels brand spanking new. Thanks again FiReSTaRT for pointing out where to get the cable luber from.

Got up to Princess Auto and the staff were just amazing. For those hesitant about the distance, it's a rather quick ride, and very very worth it.

Ended up using Dupont multi-purpose which is the same stuff I've been using for my chain, kickstands, levers, choke adjuster, etc.. that stuff is magic in a can!

Anyways, if you're reading this, it's because you just realized how important your clutch cable really is... so go on and grab yourself one dammit! (or PM me and I'll gladly let you use mine)
Does anyone have a picture of a cable luber, I went to PA and asked for one and they looked at me like I had six heads.
Thanks

How knew? That's a cool piece of kit! I'm getting one and ditching the Glad bag and duct.

I just came back from PA in Kitchener, grabbed one of these.

It was in the same aisle as all the specialized automotive tools, if anyone has a problem finding it.

Thanks, TorontoBoy!

Damn! I just came back from PA in WHitby, and spent an extra 1/2 hr asking about this cable luber. Sales people were looking at me like I was an alien (It didn't help that I had my helmet on). Three girls has no clue, the one guy that stopped to help found it for me.

Look in the specialized tools section, "Brake and Clutch Cable Injector", $5.99. They could have saved money on ink by calling it a "Cable Luber". That was difficult to find.

P.S. You can also get the same thing from CW Superstore for $11, but I wanted a nice ride and it was so great!

Last edited:
did anyone try to use PJ1 Blue Label chain lube on clutch cable?

If that doesn't work well, should I try dupont Multi purpose teflon or Pj1 Cable Lube?

did anyone try to use PJ1 Blue Label chain lube on clutch cable?

If that doesn't work well, should I try dupont Multi purpose teflon or Pj1 Cable Lube?

The best lubricant for this purpose is the one you have on hand :cool:

Back
Top Bottom