Lowering a Pickup | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lowering a Pickup

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Our Civic is too low for my wife to get into easily with her disability, and my 2013 Tacoma is too high even with side steps, but has a large entry and good seat for her.
Would it be feasible to lower (not slam) it a few inches? Would love to keep it for bike hauling etc.

I recall back in high school the popular (read cheap) way to do it was some $20 spring clamps from CT.

A fold down step from the existing side step might be a lot cheaper/easier

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

Would it help to just carry a small stool with you she can step up on to get in?
I was wondering if something like a transfer board would help - but it looks like height is the main issue.

Can't think of any other option apart from a static drop using lowering springs (+shocks if the factory shocks dont like the new springs) or getting a custom air ride suspension setup which may be too pricey...

Last edited:
I was wondering if something like a transfer board would help - but it looks like height is the main issue.

Can't think of any other option apart from a static drop using lowering springs (+shocks if the factory shocks dont like the new springs) or getting a custom air ride suspension setup which may be too pricey...

I was thinking air ride too. Squat like the kneeling bus when she wants to transfer (or WB as he too gets older). Definitely not the cheapest option.

Any possibility of a lower seat? You could probably get her butt 6" lower.

I don't know if lowering a tacoma 2.5in is going to see a real difference in what you're a looking for. if it was me i would look at find a step of some sort that would work.

No matter what you look at in that category they all measure around the same, Maybe changing to a suv or something like that might be your only choice

Maybe trade the civic for a CRV or other compact/small CUV? Step in does not require much up or down movement.
That would be the next step. She will have too try them to see which one works best. Her Civic (73k, she won't drive again) and the Taco (100k) are here and i would really miss the truck. A Rav 4 might be an option. But then i would have to buy a trailer.

Smaller wheels? Could probably get a few inches out of that.

Edit: Newer CRV's have 90 degree opening doors if that helps too.

I don't know if lowering a tacoma 2.5in is going to see a real difference in what you're a looking for. if it was me i would look at find a step of some sort that would work
I'm going to put 2x4s and plywood together to try it out. The truck already has steps. But i think she would even find them awkward.

I'm going to put 2x4s and plywood together to try it out. The truck already has steps. But i think she would even find them awkward.
What i found with step bars on pick ups, is the step itself has no foot space and you're tip toeing to stand on it, Maybe a dropdown running board would work better

What i found with step bars on pick ups, is the step itself has no foot space and you're tip toeing to stand on it, Maybe a dropdown running board would work better
N-Fab steps on it.
fQwzSge.jpg

We have tried that. It's just another obstacle.
Too bad. It worked for my M-I-L. I'm not sure how complex the issue is. Some vehicles don't have grab points convenient for everyone and sometimes there's an upper body strength issue.

Make the solution complex enough and the passenger says "Don't bother, I'll stay home."

Have you spoken to the handicap organizations for suggestions?

Smaller wheels? Could probably get a few inches out of that.

Edit: Newer CRV's have 90 degree opening doors if that helps too.
Some of the newer vehicles won't allow this as the read road speed and rpm. if they don't jive then the car or truck goes into limp mode

For what little it's worth, my wife traded her beloved Civic Touring for a CR-V partly because her folks (who live with us) are getting on, and getting into and out of the Civic was a lot of work for them. The CR-V has solved that problem.

Sadly, despite having the same turbo i4, it's noticeably slower and a good bit worse on gas. The Civic was astonishingly efficient, so it was a high bar. That thing averaged around 6 l/100 km, and could go into the 4's on a flat highway. The CR-V averages over 8...

Back
Top Bottom