Looking to get USB charger installed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to get USB charger installed

Astoria

Hi everyone,

Just got a new bike and the first thing I want to do in the off-season is install a USB charger.

Looking to set it up like this under the seat and run a long iPhone cord to the handlebar. I'm honestly not too comfortable with wiring/electrical so anyone have any idea on how best to do this/if you know anyone who could help/do it for me?

Thanks.

If you have a battery tender lead attached to the battery and can just add a USB when out on a ride.

Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger Amazon.ca

OptiMATE CABLE O-11, Weatherproof battery lead, heavy duty/auto/marine Amazon.ca

Or install something more permanent where you need the USB is you’re using a phone mount.

Last edited:
I don't know what year your ZX6R is, Kawasaki's newer models have a front and a rear accessory connectors. Page 85 owner's manual 2019 ZX6R shows 2A fuse connector. I am not 100% sure on older models. I used to have dashcam connected from the fuse relays on my older kawasaki. Currently my dashcam is on the front 2A connector turns off when the key is off the bike. Also the fuse relay is on left front for ZX6R. you do not require a long routing.
If you need help, I can help.

Last edited:
I don't know what year your ZX6R is, Kawasaki's newer models have a front and a rear accessory connectors. Page 85 owner's manual 2019 ZX6R shows 2A fuse connector. I am not 100% sure on older models. I used to have dashcam connected from the fuse relays on my older kawasaki. Currently my dashcam is on the front 2A connector turns off when the key is off the bike. Also the fuse relay is on left front for ZX6R. you do not require a long routing.
If you need help, I can help.
Should’ve mentioned I just snagged those pics from someone else on the forum. I am looking to wire it to a light so it’s powered with ignition and I have a wireless charger mounted on the handlebar so looking for a permanent fixing.

I have 2020 SV650 - if you could still help that would be great! If not I’m going to try to reach out to frekeyguy

If you have a battery tender lead attached to the battery and can just add a USB when out on a ride.

Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger Amazon.ca

OptiMATE CABLE O-11, Weatherproof battery lead, heavy duty/auto/marine Amazon.ca

Or install something more permanent where you need the USB is you’re using a phone mount.
Wireless charger on a phone mount in the front of the bike - looking to add something more permanent!

I'd rather tuck the USB supply in the front fairings/headlight area than run a long USB cable from the trunk.

If you want to pay a reasonable price for help @frekeyguy is good.
I was ideally thinking that too but there’s no nice place to put a flush mounted socket on my SV650. It would end up looking macgyvered.

I just went through the manual. Suzuki does not have an accessory connector, your only option is to use the relay "headlight 10A" under your seat. if you buy a good usb charger with a fuse in it. you might want to open up some of the fairings to wire it all the way. sure. it is easier than it looks. Also, I have extra wiring harness as well.

I just went through the manual. Suzuki does not have an accessory connector, your only option is to use the relay "headlight 10A" under your seat. if you buy a good usb charger with fuse in it. you might want to open up some of the fairings to wire it all the way. sure. it is easier than it looks.
That's not their only option. You can add another fused circuit or if you are looking to add a bunch of things they could add one of the awesome terminal blocks that allow you to easily add things that are either switched or always on.

That's not their only option. You can add another fused circuit or if you are looking to add a bunch of things they could add one of the awesome terminal blocks that allow you to easily add things that are either switched or always on.
true, I agree. I meant without modifying too much.

OK well if you can brave the cold and ride it to my place in east Sauga I will do this for you. I'm very very comfortable doing stuff like this. Shoot me a private message.
That's awesome man! I unfortunately haven't insured my bike over the winter otherwise I would've endured the cold. Cool if I hit you up in the spring time? :cool:

OK well if you can brave the cold and ride it to my place in east Sauga I will do this for you. I'm very very comfortable doing stuff like this. Shoot me a private message.
I may take you up on that offer! I'm in central Mississauga Dundas/Credit Woodlands.

That's awesome man! I unfortunately haven't insured my bike over the winter otherwise I would've endured the cold. Cool if I hit you up in the spring time? :cool:
No prob, touch base then. In the meantime, go to CT or Amazon and buy the female socket that the USB adaptor will plug into. This cigarette lighter style socket needs to have wires coming off it so I can wire it into your taillight wires. There may be a male plug on the other end of the wire, this will not be used. So try to find a socket with just the pigtail wires coming off it. The socket will go under the rear seat. Also grab the cable that will run from the phone charger back to under the rear seat, this should be 2 meters long just be safe. This will plug into the USB adaptor which will be plugged into the female socket. Hope you have enough room under the seat. Based on what's available you may get stuck with a dual socket instead of a single. But Amazon should have the singles.
Hopefully the bike's fuse for the taillight circuit will be adequate to also accommodate the extra current needed for the phone charging pad.
Maybe you can look up the specs for the phone charger and compare to the fuse rating for that circuit?

No prob, touch base then. In the meantime, go to CT or Amazon and buy the female socket that the USB adaptor will plug into. This cigarette lighter style socket needs to have wires coming off it so I can wire it into your taillight wires. There may be a male plug on the other end of the wire, this will not be used. So try to find a socket with just the pigtail wires coming off it. The socket will go under the rear seat. Also grab the cable that will run from the phone charger back to under the rear seat, this should be 2 meters long just be safe. This will plug into the USB adaptor which will be plugged into the female socket. Hope you have enough room under the seat. Based on what's available you may get stuck with a dual socket instead of a single. But Amazon should have the singles.
Hopefully the bike's fuse for the taillight circuit will be adequate to also accommodate the extra current needed for the phone charging pad.
Maybe you can look up the specs for the phone charger and compare to the fuse rating for that circuit?

Will order stuff now. Will this work?

In terms of the wireless charger - it requires a minimum output of 5V/2A for standard charging and 9V/1.67A for fast charging.

On my owners manual it says that the Park fuse is 10A and protects signal light, tail light and license plate light.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom