Handlebar-mounted 12V/5A Socket + 5V/2.1A USB on clearance for $3 at Canadian Tire Etobicoke (Albion/Kipling) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Handlebar-mounted 12V/5A Socket + 5V/2.1A USB on clearance for $3 at Canadian Tire Etobicoke (Albion/Kipling)

I’ve got it on my KLR and seems to be okay

I did run it through ignition power and added a relay

Yeah, I think that store IS Canadian Tire's clearance center. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Thank you, When i get off rotation I’ll send you a text and meet and buy one from you for my versys
Sounds good. I bought a couple extras just in case anyone from here didn't want to make the trek out to northern Etobicoke...it was a pain in the *** in the rain.

Luckily this doesn't involve visiting the Rexdale / Kipling Canadian Tire; That's the saddest, most depressing retail store I've ever been in.

Luckily this doesn't involve visiting the Rexdale / Kipling Canadian Tire; That's the saddest, most depressing retail store I've ever been in.
Can confirm...been there a few times and I thought it was this one. The Albion one isn't too bad, and I'll go back just to rummage through their clearance area.

Drains your battery.

All USB ports (at least the ones I've tried) draw power even when a device isn't connected, so if it's wired directly to your battery it will drain while parked. A power switch on the unit itself would have been nice, but for $3 I can't complain. Add an inline switch, or tap into switched power. The tinkerer in me wants to figure out how to open the casing without breaking it so I can add a power button inside the 12v socket. Then again, I might prefer to use it to add 2 more USB ports with one of these:

10fb15c7-9.png

61rOgkOvLKL._SL1500_.jpg

All USB ports (at least the ones I've tried) draw power even when a device isn't connected, so if it's wired directly to your battery it will drain while parked. A power switch on the unit itself would have been nice, but for $3 I can't complain. Add an inline switch, or tap into switched power. The tinkerer in me wants to figure out how to open the casing without breaking it so I can add a power button inside the 12v socket. Then again, I might prefer to use it to add 2 more USB ports with one of these:

10fb15c7-9.png

61rOgkOvLKL._SL1500_.jpg

The USB cigarette lighter socket adapter is nice because you're re-using a single battery connection for both, and when you unplug it, there's no parasitic drain from just the cig lighter socket.

My solution is to have a single SAE pigtail plugged into the battery, from there, you can plug in a battery tender, a cigarette lighter socket:

8bfbeece-ec79-43c3-9a52-9f9535b58bcb_1.a933b2fe150e890ffd2ee6b517b0a448.jpeg

Also a SAE to USB:

71vdCuzn3KL._AC_SX522_.jpg

And also a SAE to coax for heated clothing:

81HuHnPvTcL._AC_SY355_.jpg

And if you have more than one device you want to plug in, use an SAE splitter:

ebffd8f8-6578-47fe-b87e-2a1c16c10494_1.9502bb859cff81b5d4fddc62c61526b8.jpeg

SAE is a nice universal plug so that way you don't have a million attachments hanging off your battery posts. Just gotta make sure the SAE wire is heavy-enough gauge to handle the amperage of the devices you're plugging in.

i know a direct connection to the battery means there will be some draw, but i've installed usb chargers like this on several of my bikes for literal years and have never come back to a dead battery.

I'm laughing.

I bought this exact device from Aliexpress about 4 years ago. I waited 2 months to get it and when I opened it up it smelled the whole house up for days, with a strong rubber smell until I installed it. It was about $3 if I recall correctly, it was sold in CT for $20, or ever worth $20. Some have correctly made the comment that it will drain a battery if installed unswitched as I did. I drained a few batteries after a week idle completely and utterly flat, until I got smart and installed an underseat switch that I need to remember to switch off, unless I forget. Doh!

Back
Top Bottom