Looking for recommendations... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for recommendations...

You're serious? This is a tip?

Here's another tip: don't forget to breathe while wrenching, people. Very important.

thats called swag boomer

you can make it a lot easier if you get a bike lift, no more bending/kneeling/crawling
Getting one on sale at Princess Auto was the best 'tool' purchase I've ever made. Makes wrenching so much simpler, not just in regards to comfort.

Having more angles to get hands and tools into tight spots makes many jobs infinitely simpler. (that softball is for you, @Lightcycle )

You're building character.

Wait till you drop a valve shim.....
Just pulled the cams on my RC51 yesterday. A powerful magnet and copious use of shop towels to fill up gaps in the head went a long way to lowering stress. I'm only halfway done, though, so here's me knocking heavily on wood...

20210215_165647.jpg

Note lift doubling as work bench...

Two things:
Every garage should have a gripper thing - yeah that's the technical term. A long bendable cable with a plunger at one end and 3-4 little grippers that come out the other when the plungers depressed (why is the plunger depressed? it has a straw in the tank)
Not sure which bike (GPZ900R??) but in order to remove the plugs I had to introduce the plug socket to Mr Grinder and shave down the outside quite a bit.
Lastly pay heed to Prillers shop towel story. I lost a dowel pin down the cam tower of my KLR doing the valves.

Tip.
Use earplugs with the string attaching them to plug oil return holes. When your clumsy fingers drop the shim,screw,nut or collett, it will be easier to find.
And the string reminds you to remove the earplug so you don't turn your motor into an oil aerosol.

Finally got this sumb*tch out!!!
They freakin used RED threadlocker on the bolts.

Had to bring it indoors so that I could rest the tank on the table, hold it in place with one hand and use the other hand to loosen each bolt with a 10mm socket + extension (for more torque) + ratchet.
Thank goodness I had 2 hands.

Using my wrist as a fulcrum point of sorts was no joke - afraid to use a heat gun to loosen the thread locker as I didn't want to risk blowing the place up.

The straws had split back into two as the cellotape I used to bind them together for longer reach detached.
Spare parts from Partzilla should be arriving next week...

finally-jpg.47182

Now the entire house reeks of petrol.

2f7.jpg

Thank you to all who helped contribute to this!!

Attachments

• finally.jpg
    finally.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 51
Did you find the tape? Looks like it there on the table, but just checking.

One word of caution based on my own experience with frustrating/snowballing jobs: don't rush to reassemble. In the past, if I had a job that didn't go well and raised my blood pressure, sometimes I'd just want the job to be done, so would throw everything back together in a hurry to put the whole episode behind me. Needless to say, this can lead to more tears...

Glad you got the buggers out!

Did you find the tape? Looks like it there on the table, but just checking.

One word of caution based on my own experience with frustrating/snowballing jobs: don't rush to reassemble. In the past, if I had a job that didn't go well and raised my blood pressure, sometimes I'd just want the job to be done, so would throw everything back together in a hurry to put the whole episode behind me. Needless to say, this can lead to more tears...

Glad you got the buggers out!
Yes Sir!

There was one more smaller piece near the fuel pump that I took out

Understood - will take my time during re-assembly!
Gratitude!

If you have a 1/4" drive torque wrench, those bolts would be a good place to try it out, and the threads really should be coated with some thread lock on those parts during assembly. The service manual likely recommends you replace the rubber gasket every time too, but very few do so.

(y) well done, look at all the neat **** you are learning ;)

The service manual likely recommends you replace the rubber gasket every time too, but very few do so.
Tell me about it. I was convinced I had a cracked and leaking tank on my RC51, as it's not an uncommon fault. When removing, I discovered the gasket was more like paper than rubber. Definitely a cheaper fix, but yet more annoyingly half-arsed work from the last guy...

Last Montesa/Honda tank gasket I priced out was 80$ years ago, it's a chunk of rubber.
Now I guess it's just plain old unavailable unless I want to order from the other side of the world.

At least his looks like a plain old O-ring that you could buy at a tractor supply.

Soon I will be removing the fuel from my tank, am I the only one here who still siphons it out the old fashioned way?

Soon I will be removing the fuel from my tank, am I the only one here who still siphons it out the old fashioned way?
I remove it by rolling on copiously.
But that’s just me ?

I remove it by rolling on copiously.
But that’s just me ?
I want to drain and refill with fresh, I don't trust that the dealer put premium in it. Are you at Sherway on Easter weekend?

I want to drain and refill with fresh, I don't trust that the dealer put premium in it. Are you at Sherway on Easter weekend?
i am not!

I'm in Markham 2nd week for M2 exit and Courtice weeks 3 and 4 for M1 exit.

Back
Top Bottom