Looking for recommendations... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for recommendations...

Congrats on getting the tank off. Might seem crappy right now, but the next time you'll have to do it will be a breeze.

PS, do not leave your tank like that, flipped over. Good chance that gas will leak out of the filler cap and damage the paint on your tank

I got a 4-piece thin(ner)-walled plug socket set from Lowes of all places, but that was ages ago. Cobalt brand. Otherwise, just use a regular socket and a magnetic pickup to fish the plugs out, and a hose on the tip of the socket to install so they don't drop in and break.

Esp a long hose filled with rolled up $20 bills. It won't end well.

Things were going well until the LSD, in a cemetery, with hookers

Reactions: TK4
What a freakin MESS.
Busted knuckles, swollen fingertips, reeking of petrol and an aching back...sigh

Spent a couple of hours going over this step by step all while taking care not to damage or break any brittle plastic pieces due to the cold.
My space heater could barely keep up and each time I opened and closed the garage door - poof - back to freezing temps again.
Makes me wish I had a nice well lit heated spacious garage.

Finally managed to get the tank off but it looks like I will have to go in from behind/underneath as I can hear it bang around inside when shaking the tank - think I've had enough of petrol fumes for one day.

Its funny how one can experience a wide range of emotions when doing things like this.
At one point I was even questioning my life choices and my reason for existence.

Should've just payed the dealership....smh

Yeah, it sucks to work in the cold. If you think you'll be doing more, invest in a propane heater, a couple of 120v infrareds, or if you have 240v available in your garage, then a 5000W electric heater. Which you can now afford with the $800 you just "saved".

I got a 4-piece thin(ner)-walled plug socket set from Lowes of all places, but that was ages ago. Cobalt brand. Otherwise, just use a regular socket and a magnetic pickup to fish the plugs out, and a hose on the tip of the socket to install so they don't drop in and break.
Thank you - I ordered this online yesterday:

Congrats on getting the tank off. Might seem crappy right now, but the next time you'll have to do it will be a breeze.

PS, do not leave your tank like that, flipped over. Good chance that gas will leak out of the filler cap and damage the paint on your tank

Thank you - went back out - flipped it over and wiped it down with soapy water.
Petrol was falling all over the place as I was trying to funnel it down into my red jerry can!

@Wingboy - you were right - looks like I need to find myself a new gasket as well!

Pump.jpg

Why can't you get the straw out the filler cap if you can turn it upside down?

Oh, never mind, that pump looks easy to re-install after removal, so no biggie. Thought it might be a pain like some others I've seen that require surgical precision.

Reminds me of this:

A gynecologist was getting tired of his job and decided to switch careers.

He'd always enjoyed tinkering with engines, so he enrolled in a school for car mechanics. When the class ended, the students were given their final exam: strip a car engine completely and reassemble it in perfect working order.

The gynecologist did his best - and was amazed to find he scored 150%. "How could that be" he asked?

"Well," said the instructor, "I gave you 50% for taking the engine apart. Next, I gave you 50% for reassembling it - a really fantastic job. And then I gave you a 50% bonus for doing it all through the exhaust pipe".

What a freakin MESS.
Busted knuckles, swollen fingertips, reeking of petrol and an aching back...sigh

Spent a couple of hours going over this step by step all while taking care not to damage or break any brittle plastic pieces due to the cold.
My space heater could barely keep up and each time I opened and closed the garage door - poof - back to freezing temps again.
Makes me wish I had a nice well lit heated spacious garage.

Finally managed to get the tank off but it looks like I will have to go in from behind/underneath as I can hear it bang around inside when shaking the tank - think I've had enough of petrol fumes for one day.

Its funny how one can experience a wide range of emotions when doing things like this.
At one point I was even questioning my life choices and my reason for existence.

View attachment 47048

Should've just payed the dealership....smh

you can make it a lot easier if you get a bike lift, no more bending/kneeling/crawling
and also a decent heater like others have said helps.

I also find wearing proper shoes help, no more wrenching with flipflops/socks on cold hard concrete.

you can make it a lot easier if you get a bike lift, no more bending/kneeling/crawling
and also a decent heater like others have said helps.

I also find wearing proper shoes help, no more wrenching with flipflops/socks on cold hard concrete.
And a $5 box of vinyl gloves.

Last edited:
Reminds me of this:

A gynecologist was getting tired of his job and decided to switch careers.

He'd always enjoyed tinkering with engines, so he enrolled in a school for car mechanics. When the class ended, the students were given their final exam: strip a car engine completely and reassemble it in perfect working order.

The gynecologist did his best - and was amazed to find he scored 150%. "How could that be" he asked?

"Well," said the instructor, "I gave you 50% for taking the engine apart. Next, I gave you 50% for reassembling it - a really fantastic job. And then I gave you a 50% bonus for doing it all through the exhaust pipe".
But the part that REALLY AMAZED me: You did it while it was RUNNING!

Back
Top Bottom