Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Way Up! On HD Livewire's...

I watched part of the first episode a while back but honestly just forgot about it. I have Apple TV + for the year because I bought a new iPhone but have never used the service save for the brief watch of the first episode. Definitely not something I would pay for. I will eventually get back to watch this as I am curious and love the travel aspect of it all, despite not being a fan of electric motorcycles personally. I do wonder if this was a big stumble for Harley and their Pan America bike. The GS always had a following but I think it did get bigger after LWR and LWD. Harley is new to the modern adventure world and a bike that is completely new to them, would have been a great advert to see that thing on an adventure.

Knowing the limitations of electric vehicles, especially bikes, makes that part of just unappealing. I could be completely wrong though after watching so will see if my opinion changes when I get to the show.

Finished Long Way Up yesterday night. I enjoyed it for what it was but in a different way then the first 2. First off this was the best filmed Long Way series, the use of drones and being in 4K and just the stunning landscapes of South/Central America were amazing. I also enjoyed watching Ewan and Charlie again, they seem very good natured and look like a couple of guys who would be fun to tour with. That all being said it lost me with the electric vehicles for both bikes and trucks. The first 2 I could imagine myself doing what they did, load my bike up and just hit the road. Anyone can do it so long as they have the will and the desire for a great adventure. This adventure is not for anyone, everything about it would be out of reach for just about anyone really. Custom made electric bikes with a support team, custom not in production electric trucks, the full version are $100K easy... each. They had charging stations added along their route that would not have been there. They had a diesel van with solar panels on the roof, they had a generator they whipped out at one point to get a charge when they got stuck, and a bus....????? This became an adventure that only those with incredibly deep pockets could do or like Ewan and Charlie, a production company behind and the money invested knowing the return they would get for the show. It just took me out of it for any of the bike stuff. I thought it was interesting and think the livewire and bikes like it will be great commuters at present, till charging and range is greatly increased, but as we saw in LWU they are not ready for touring, at least not outside of the N. America or America itself. Thankfully they did not push the green aspect of electric as there was no way their carbon footprint was any less then 3 bikes riding that distance. Again I enjoyed the series for the travel element, but it is not a series I think I will go back and rewatch as I have with LWR and LWD.

Would have made just as much sense doing it on OCC creations with Sr and Mikey doing the back up crew thing.
Haven't watched. Better things to do.

Would have made just as much sense doing it on OCC creations with Sr and Mikey doing the back up crew thing.
Haven't watched. Better things to do.
well Harley does have an Adventure bike coming out, this would have been the best commercial for that bike.
It is still an enjoyable travel documentary despite the electric bikes, and the whole bus thing.

Watched both LWR & LWD again before this binge fest, and I'm happy to see there was no Yoko interruption. I did love the story of Ewan adopting that girl from LWR. This series was beautifully shot with the drones and 4K cameras. I hope they do another but use real bikes this time. Seeing them going so slow and battery life talk was getting tiresome. Australia, Indonesia, India, China & Japan next please.

Watched both LWR & LWD again before this binge fest, and I'm happy to see there was no Yoko interruption. I did love the story of Ewan adopting that girl from LWR. This series was beautifully shot with the drones and 4K cameras. I hope they do another but use real bikes this time. Seeing them going so slow and battery life talk was getting tiresome. Australia, Indonesia, India, China & Japan next please.
Mad bastard rally? "The really really long way to get anywhere".? On the upside, they are nice and light and easy to get unstuck or over an obstacle.

EDIT:
"The last stand" and do it on trials bikes?

Last edited:

That's totally how I felt about all of it too. Especially the lack of Ewans wife interrupting. (He's with a younger girl now anyway)

If you wanted something where a riders goes to some of those other countries check out TeapotOne on Youtube. Riders around "the world" on a GSXR1000

Just the music and editing is a bit poor

That's totally how I felt about all of it too. Especially the lack of Ewans wife interrupting. (He's with a younger girl now anyway)

If you wanted something where a riders goes to some of those other countries check out TeapotOne on Youtube. Riders around "the world" on a GSXR1000

Just the music and editing is a bit poor

It's one of those things, you chance a sequel and often it is never as good as the original. LWD and LWR were hard acts to follow and make better, and that is why I suppose they decided to do something completely different for LWU. This one was more of trying to find where they would get their next boost, or how they would get around drug cartels likely to kidnap the duo (by loading their bikes onto a stealth converted school bus [I thought this was about motorcycles?]), rather than a motorcycle adventure. It certainly did not add to tourism and make the outlaw image of Mexico any better.

I found the TeaPotOne around the world adventure way better and more realistic and true to an adventure than a hefty bankrolled entourage of Hollywood actors. Thanks for posting.

I found the TeaPotOne around the world adventure way better and more realistic and true to an adventure than a hefty bankrolled entourage of Hollywood actors. Thanks for posting.
Cheers! I liked Teapot aswell.

It's one of those things, you chance a sequel and often it is never as good as the original. LWD and LWR were hard acts to follow and make better, and that is why I suppose they decided to do something completely different for LWU. This one was more of trying to find where they would get their next boost, or how they would get around drug cartels likely to kidnap the duo (by loading their bikes onto a stealth converted school bus [I thought this was about motorcycles?]), rather than a motorcycle adventure. It certainly did not add to tourism and make the outlaw image of Mexico any better.

Not sure they ever really made an attempt at being "realistic" to regular folk. Their realistic is far different than most here, if not all. LWR and LWD though were easier to get lost in as you could do that ride yourself on the bikes they rode. The latest is just pure fantasy. They had charge points put in along the way, had a diesel van with solar and generators, 2 beta electric bikes with HD support on the line and ready to fly out with parts when it was needed and then there is the bus, so much time devoted to something I would say most do not want to see. I can understand their excitement over it because they are actively involved in putting it together, just think it was not all that interesting and again outside of what any normal person would do if they were riding through Mexico. For real in-depth traveling youtube is the place to be. A bunch of round the world riders have channels, Itchy Boots is one I enjoy. There are some guys who go to India, Pakistan and other interesting places doing interesting things with the occasional 2 wheel cameo.

If you want to hear how it's done without "fixers" have a read of "One man caravan".
Robert Fulton's 1932 round the world tour on a Douglas Twin.
True adventure. Not just a TV show.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom