Local Auto Thefts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Local Auto Thefts

Truck stolen from our office lot . Onstarcan show the exact location sitting at an apartment building in Brampton . Peel police, we can go over ,too busy . Halton send a car up and he sees car and calls a tow truck to bring it back to Burlington. Dash smashed and cracked , repairs have taken over 4 wks . Oy vey

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

This is how they typically get key, fobs whatever they want. These guys were not so lucky this night, but the home owners were...
That is some good door / deadbolt on that door. Honestly seems like this was more of a non-random home invasion.

Truck stolen from our office lot . Onstarcan show the exact location sitting at an apartment building in Brampton . Peel police, we can go over ,too busy . Halton send a car up and he sees car and calls a tow truck to bring it back to Burlington. Dash smashed and cracked , repairs have taken over 4 wks . Oy vey

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Brampton you say?
I'm shocked by this...

Two factor authentication will not fly IMO. Not because it is ineffective but because the consumer wants things to be easier not harder.
And that got him easier to steal trucks....
Sure make it "convenient" but then don't complain when it gets conveniently stolen. If it's easier for you, it's easier for the thief.

Funny that in the late 90 cars were getting very hard to steal with chipped keys etc. then they went the complete opposite direction.
Are you old enough to remember Mopar hexagon keys?
There was (IIRC) 14 different keys. Your key could start, on average, 1 in 14 Dodge cars.
The GM square key? 22 (IIRC)
With a key ring with about 100 keys you could open and start any car/truck
A modern "repo" tow setup can snatch a car in 30 seconds, from a crowded parking lot, with lots of corners, with all the anti theft you want installed on the car.
Cars have never been hard to steal. Locks only stop honest people.

You don't want to know how easy it is to break into your house.

Last edited:
HOW INCONVENIENT... THE HORROR
I hope you survive
I'll survive, but yes- all you can do is make it as inconvenient as possible so the thief will move along to someone else.
Otherwise just help them load it up.

There was a rash of thefts in my neighborhood a few months ago, mostly Jeep Wranglers.
Apparently they are ridiculously easy to steal and command big bucks in the overseas market.
The manufacturers have to do more right outta the box.
Just a hood lock and covering the dash VIN with something like a business card goes a long way to convince potential thieves to move along with wranglers.

Reactions: TK4
Two factor authentication will not fly IMO. Not because it is ineffective but because the consumer wants things to be easier not harder.

Otherwise the trend would be to just buy a vehicle that has an actual key....

Or just a pin unlock once you put the key in the ignition, like a cell phone.

Or just a pin unlock once you put the key in the ignition,
This is mostly what I had imagined.
... so you CAN put a PIN on the ignition, if you WANT to. Park the truck in your drive, kill the ignition with a pin, go sleep soundly. When you're using the truck dis-able the pin.
Zero cost... money maker for the dealer when the user bricks his expensive truck... but they already have that income stream when the truck bricks itself.... (If my truck bricked itself, I would shoot it in the head)
It's harder to steal satellite signal than to steal a truck. Murdoch figured it out in the '90s.
Convenience? You just punched a PIN into the door to enter the truck, you can enter another 4 digit PIN to start it... once a day... THE HORRORS.

I have the perfect anti theft device: I drive a shitbox, nobody wants to steal my truck.

I know someone that had their second Denali stolen about a month ago. (first one stolen 6 months before). Insurance told the owner (victim) apparently the car has been leased to someone and their address is 3 farms down from where the owners daughter lives. WFT?
I'm guessing the thieves sold the car to a leasing company and was then leased out.

My anti theft device:
Marshall-Rabbit-Holes-Corolla-1999.jpg

Back
Top Bottom