Landlord died; his family crazy. Advice please | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Landlord died; his family crazy. Advice please

^ yep the bank will freeze the landlord's accounts as soon as they hear of his death. then the executor opens an "Estate" account and takes over - but only after the bank is assured that the executor really is the executor. Depending on the size of the estate (which seems kind of sizeable here) the Will will likely have to be probated before anybody can really pay attention to it. Probating a Will takes some time. You can't just act on some Will that a person sticks in front of you - you don't know if it's any good e.g. is it the most recent Will?

As I mentioned, the mother is receiving the rent cheques but the sister of the deceased is also trying to run things together with her mother. I was fine with this but unfortunately they have started making life difficult on us. I won't get into the details but suffice it to say I tried to reason with the sister calmly today about an issue they raised but she screamed at me for a good couple min and hung up on me. Batshit crazy I tells ya.

It might be helpful to know what is their beef. They don't like colour of your money? Why don't they want to help smooth transition? Are they beside themselves with grief? Are they out of towners? Do you "park" a crappy Katana out back?

Thanks for the responses guys. I have always paid the rent on time via post dated cheques. I've never gotten a receipt, however, I do keep records of the payments and the bank scans images of the cheques which I can view online.

The mother and sister have been involved in the affairs of the rental property even when my landlord was still alive. These two have never been pleasant and treated us disrespectfully from the get go. They've raised a fuss about some things in the past but when we demonstrated that we're not destroying the place they seemed to cool it a bit. Then my landlord died. We sent them a sincere condolence card as we were pretty shocked about the news (yes he was young, in his 30s). Now that some months have passed, they've started getting nasty about minor things and unreasonable about the solutuons. I really can't type out the whole story here in my phone because it would take too long. Suffice it to say, they threatened eviction unless we did something that isn't our responsibility to do. So we did it to appease them. Now they're picking on a couple small dents in the garage door. I don't know how they got there but they're only cosmetic and not very big. Still, I agreed to take care of it on my own dime. They insist it be now and when it took me a couple days to call them with an update she told me that was "unacceptable" that I hadnt called her earlier... seriously? Don't know who she thinks she is. Anyway, I ordered 2 brand new sections of matching, insulated garage door and planned to install them myself (simple bolt on procedure). This wasn't good enough for her. She demanded that I use the same company who installed it originally (someone she knows) and pay them 3X the price I ordered the parts for. I tried to explain that it's not rocket science but she didn't care. By this time she was screaming maniacally that I couldn't understand her and didn't even have a chance to discuss other options. She then hung up on me.
There are of course details I'm leaving out but that's the gist of the current dilemma. During that phone call I asked her if she wanted us to move out. She didn't answer the question.

I"d like to move out but she has post dated cheques for Sep 1 and Oct 1 + last months deposit. Nothing I can do about Sep but I plan to cancel the Oct cheque and reissue in original landlord's name if I decide to stay here. I also plan to request legal documentation about any transfer of ownership. I suspect they're just bullying right now to give the impression they're in charge when in fact they are not our landlord(s).

Sorry this post got kinda long as it is.

Why would you stay?
This is just the beginning of the headaches... and you will probably end up moving out anyway... so why put up with ******** in the mean time?
Don't prolong the inevitable.... get it over with and move on with your life!

Cancel the cheques, lose the deposit and move. Or file a complaint back in rages to how they treat you and their expectations. You'll never win dealing with idiots.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have always paid the rent on time via post dated cheques. I've never gotten a receipt, however, I do keep records of the payments and the bank scans images of the cheques which I can view online.

The mother and sister have been involved in the affairs of the rental property even when my landlord was still alive. These two have never been pleasant and treated us disrespectfully from the get go. They've raised a fuss about some things in the past but when we demonstrated that we're not destroying the place they seemed to cool it a bit. Then my landlord died. We sent them a sincere condolence card as we were pretty shocked about the news (yes he was young, in his 30s). Now that some months have passed, they've started getting nasty about minor things and unreasonable about the solutuons. I really can't type out the whole story here in my phone because it would take too long. Suffice it to say, they threatened eviction unless we did something that isn't our responsibility to do. So we did it to appease them. Now they're picking on a couple small dents in the garage door. I don't know how they got there but they're only cosmetic and not very big. Still, I agreed to take care of it on my own dime. They insist it be now and when it took me a couple days to call them with an update she told me that was "unacceptable" that I hadnt called her earlier... seriously? Don't know who she thinks she is. Anyway, I ordered 2 brand new sections of matching, insulated garage door and planned to install them myself (simple bolt on procedure). This wasn't good enough for her. She demanded that I use the same company who installed it originally (someone she knows) and pay them 3X the price I ordered the parts for. I tried to explain that it's not rocket science but she didn't care. By this time she was screaming maniacally that I couldn't understand her and didn't even have a chance to discuss other options. She then hung up on me.
There are of course details I'm leaving out but that's the gist of the current dilemma. During that phone call I asked her if she wanted us to move out. She didn't answer the question.

I"d like to move out but she has post dated cheques for Sep 1 and Oct 1 + last months deposit. Nothing I can do about Sep but I plan to cancel the Oct cheque and reissue in original landlord's name if I decide to stay here. I also plan to request legal documentation about any transfer of ownership. I suspect they're just bullying right now to give the impression they're in charge when in fact they are not our landlord(s).

Sorry this post got kinda long as it is.
Best thing you can do is stick her with another tenant. She will then shoot herself for being so harsh with you.

Let them evict you. If she has to be a ***** then be a ***** back. Let her know before you leave that it came to this because of her attitude. People are pricks.

I would leave & cancel all cheques. But that's just me

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Fight to the bitter end. Add token gratuity to cheque. Send it with box of chocolates. Psychological warfare is second only to severe beating. Enjoy.

No one's suggested a GTAM Fall Blocko yet? You're all slipping.

Don't get me wrong, I want to move. But I live with my family and there's some discussion we need to have first. If it were just me it would be a lot less complicated.
Also when we leave, I want to ensure we've held up our end of the tenants act which means the earliest we can move is Dec 1.

I agree moving is probably the best option... but if you can't, just cancel the checks that you gave her and give new ones in the name of the deceased landlord. You won't be doing anything against the law, and they probably won't be able to get the money for a while. Maybe that will make them re-think and be nicer so you can give checks on their names.

Again, I would also take proper actions so you don't loose rent money that was issued on the mother name.

Another option is to consult a lawyer (or maybe a friend that works in real estate), who will be able to give you better advises that GTAM members.

Lord have mercy... I'm ****** off just reading this ****... I feel for you man.

Anyway man, I wouldn't have fixed anything. I would've pointed to the rent agreement and told her to fix it unless she wants to deal with the funeral while being dragged through courts. Tell her to check her tone too, demand respect and if she doesn't comply, start making her life difficult.

I'd start recording all my calls with her...

johnp has it right. When my mother passed away my brother and I were co-executors. We opened a bank account and her residual investments went into it. Bills were paid out of it until the estate was settled.

Pay the rent to the estate or care of the executor etc. Make complaints to and take directions from the same. When the boss dies the employees don't take over the company even though they may have helped run it.

When the landlord was alive he pocketed the money. Now that he is dead it sounds like there's a grabfest for any loose cash. If the LL had mortgage life insurance the place will be free and clear so expect a flurry of moves to get you out to make a quick sale.

If they aren't the owner or the owners agent (Executor) they have no rights there. No right to tell you to fix things.

Send the rent to me. Until the courts system says otherwise I have as much a right as anyone. (OK I'm pushing it just a little)

I remember reading something about an "escrow account", which may apply in this case.... You would deposit the monthly rent into this account until there is a new landlord...

Edit: AH, I remember, it was on Judge Judy! The defendant was withholding payments for some outstanding issue and JJ suggested next time she use an "escrow account" (as i recall) so the monies owing were not in their direct possession. This is obviously to protect yourself in court if it goes that far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom