L/F Dash Cam Recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

L/F Dash Cam Recommendations

Katatonic

Site Supporter
I’m wanting to get a dash cam for the new truck. I’ve seen a LOT of stupid **** lately so it would be 50/50 for liability reasons and entertainment value.
Anyone have one they really like that has been reliable, good picture quality and relatively easy to use? Any dash cams I should stay away from?

I've been using a cheap Viofo A119 for a few years now and it's been good. If I had to get a new one today, I think I'd like to try out one with a rear camera.

oh and all the really crazy hijinks I used to see on the QEW stopped the second I got a dashcam

I've been using a cheap Viofo A119 for a few years now and it's been good. If I had to get a new one today, I think I'd like to try out one with a rear camera.

oh and all the really crazy hijinks I used to see on the QEW stopped the second I got a dashcam

Oddly enough, that’s the camera I’m currently looking at on Amazon, and I was just thinking “Do I want one with a rear camera…?”

@Rob MacLennan has had ideas in the past.

You need to ask yourself whether you want to see inside or not. Advantages and disadvantages to seeing driver and/or gauges. Personally, I think the front view tight to the glass (no inside) is most important as it catches most of the scammers/light runners. If I wanted rear, I would add a camera tight to rear glass. If I wanted more angles/inside, something like a 360 cam near a headrest gives some concept of things coming from every direction.

I try to mount front cameras behind the mirror (as well as transponder) so I don't block any useful windshield. Obviously that wouldn't go well with a front and rear camera.

I've been considering this as well, as I see way to much in the small amount I actually drive.
I would consider a rear camera a requirement, but to install yourself or have it installed?
Sorry if I hijacked this thread..

@Rob MacLennan has had ideas in the past.

You need to ask yourself whether you want to see inside or not. Advantages and disadvantages to seeing driver and/or gauges. Personally, I think the front view tight to the glass (no inside) is most important as it catches most of the scammers/light runners. If I wanted rear, I would add a camera tight to rear glass. If I wanted more angles/inside, something like a 360 cam near a headrest gives some concept of things coming from every direction.

I have no interest in recording the inside of the truck, just out the front windshield as much as possible and maybe out the back window.
I’ll be towing a toy hauler a lot in terms of the percentage of kms that will be put on this truck, so a rear facing camera might just be the front of the trailer….

I've been considering this as well, as I see way to much in the small amount I actually drive.
I would consider a rear camera a requirement, but to install yourself or have it installed?
Sorry if I hijacked this thread..

I’m terrible at doing things like this so would likely get my mechanic to do the install.

I have no interest in recording the inside of the truck, just out the front windshield as much as possible and maybe out the back window.
I’ll be towing a toy hauler a lot in terms of the percentage of kms that will be put on this truck, so a rear facing camera might just be the front of the trailer….
Camera on the back of the trailer isn't a terrible plan. Depending on setup, it could record and assist in rear visibility/manoeuvering but that is a little more complicated than a standalone camera recording to a card.

if you are into training with any Garmin equipment (watch, powermeters, cycling computer, activity tracker, etc.) - htey have an option to integrate into everything Garmin ecosystem. Pretty good quality as well, but a bit more expensive than amazon offerings...

Camera on the back of the trailer isn't a terrible plan. Depending on setup, it could record and assist in rear visibility/manoeuvering but that is a little more complicated than a standalone camera recording to a card.

The trailer has a wireless backup camera that is connected to my cell phone. Aside from initially setting it up, I haven’t used it.
The trailer is 29’ overall so it’s not like I’m trying to back it into really tight spaces.

I’ve been very happy with my ThibkWare cameras. No complaints and they just work.

But night time quality could use some work. Outside of that, I’m happy for the price.

Timely thread. I'm also in need of this, not for me but my parents.

They got into a car accident a few months back. But only recently did they tell me it was a hit and run. Apparently the idiot at the intersection across from them made the left immediately when it turned green, trying to beat everyone before they started, then hit my parents and took off. Police said nothing they could do.

So I need to get them one which is dead simple to use and records all the time, front and back.

Yes I watched a little of that overly dramtic annoying video, but something is better then nothing.

I've seen the video and Linus is kind of a pain to watch for more that a few seconds, but still a solid video.
The image quality has always had me on the fence for dash cams as I am sure if in court there could be a solid argument if the video was not 100% crystal clear and perfect. Let's face it usually an accident happens during night, bad weather, slippery conditions or by someone who will simply leave the scene.. All of these are weaknesses for a "perfect" image..

Timely thread. I'm also in need of this, not for me but my parents.

They got into a car accident a few months back. But only recently did they tell me it was a hit and run. Apparently the idiot at the intersection across from them made the left immediately when it turned green, trying to beat everyone before they started, then hit my parents and took off. Police said nothing they could do.

So I need to get them one which is dead simple to use and records all the time, front and back.

Yes I watched a little of that overly dramtic annoying video, but something is better then nothing.
It can be a HTA 172 if someone tries to grab the green. Out-accelerating is the charge. Think of it as a face to face drag race. Depending on how hard your parents were accelerating a video could implicate them as well.
I'm assuming the runner was slow off the line and misjudged how much time or space he had.

I had some front end work done on my pickup thanks to a babe that thought she could accelerate from her stop sign and across my right of way before we were sharing the same part of the planet. She didn't allow for the loose gravel slowing her down.

Mine is supposed to be HD but you have to be quite close to get a plate number. I did record a red light runner taking out the car in front of me, copy to police after I downloaded the isolated clip.

Would they be jerks enough to go over the whole SD card and note my infractions????

Rear view is OK but even just having the front would show you weren't backing up or driving crazy. Similar for side view, were you changing lanes?

As far as getting detailed info it would help if the police would enforce the plate cover restrictions.

It can be a HTA 172 if someone tries to grab the green. Out-accelerating is the charge. Think of it as a face to face drag race. Depending on how hard your parents were accelerating a video could implicate them as well.
I'm assuming the runner was slow off the line and misjudged how much time or space he had.

I had some front end work done on my pickup thanks to a babe that thought she could accelerate from her stop sign and across my right of way before we were sharing the same part of the planet. She didn't allow for the loose gravel slowing her down.

Mine is supposed to be HD but you have to be quite close to get a plate number. I did record a red light runner taking out the car in front of me, copy to police after I downloaded the isolated clip.

Would they be jerks enough to go over the whole SD card and note my infractions????

Rear view is OK but even just having the front would show you weren't backing up or driving crazy. Similar for side view, were you changing lanes?

As far as getting detailed info it would help if the police would enforce the plate cover restrictions.
I think left on non-advanced green is specifically listed in 172. Assuming the driver knew that (low chance), they were balancing a guaranteed suspension vs a small chance of getting caught and fighting a criminal charge.

HD is good for watching content and enjoying some level of detail. But when it comes to looking at that detail 2k or 4k is what you need. It should be able to capture those finer details like license plates. I've played around with this on my GoPro and settled on 2k for this reason.

I have a front and rear camera. My rear is the same as the front. Both are Blackbox G1W. They're older now but still get the job done.

The best tip I tell people who ask me about dash cams is to always always always yell out the license plate and description of the driver because the camera may not get a clear enough image but the microphone will record you saying it.

Back
Top Bottom