KTM sales surpasses Harley Davidson | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM sales surpasses Harley Davidson

Has KTM improved their warranty ? There was something sketchy about it, I forget exactly. Something about the engine not being covered lol?

Has KTM improved their warranty ? There was something sketchy about it, I forget exactly. Something about the engine not being covered lol?

We don’t get the same warranty here as in other countries nor the opportunity to get a factory extended warranty. Not totally sketchy but not fabulous either.

Yeah, I remember the kerfuffle.

You actually have it backwards. In the US, the warranty states that it only covers "engine, frame and swingarm". Nothing else.

The guys at ADVRider went apechit at the wording, but when everybody compared experiences, nobody was ever denied warranty coverage for stuff that wasn't engine, frame and swingarm related...

In Canada, the KTM warranty covers the entire motorcycle. Weird they would make that specific distinction in the States.

Also other oddities, streetbikes all get 24 month warranties, but the "R" versions only get 12 months. Guess they figure it'll be flogged harder.

Dirtbikes only get 6 months and the competition/motoX bikes get 3 months. That kinda makes sense, I guess...

Yeah, I remember the kerfuffle.

You actually have it backwards. In the US, the warranty states that it only covers "engine, frame and swingarm". Nothing else.

The guys at ADVRider went apechit at the wording, but when everybody compared experiences, nobody was ever denied warranty coverage for stuff that wasn't engine, frame and swingarm related...

In Canada, the KTM warranty covers the entire motorcycle. Weird they would make that specific distinction in the States.

Also other oddities, streetbikes all get 24 month warranties, but the "R" versions only get 12 months. Guess they figure it'll be flogged harder.

Dirtbikes only get 6 months and the competition/motoX bikes get 3 months. That kinda makes sense, I guess...
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying it. I'm glad the whole bike is covered in Canada. I may consider purchasing one in the future.
Will definately go through the warranty wording beforehand

Actually for KTM dirtbikes (anything not in the dualsport EXC range) is only 30 days from date of purchase.

I can say I absolutely love my 18 300XC that I bought new and I flog the heck out of it (read: crash often) and I've never had an issue with it.

KTMs are very much at home in two places: in the dirt and at the repair shop.

Well, my RC8r has been really solid. 35,000km later, all it has had done repair wise (aside from general maintenance) is a rear cylinder valve cover gasket, exhaust flange needing to be re-tack welded and a gear position sensor.
Pretty good if you ask me.

In the last 12 years, KTM has been expanding rapidly in two of the hottest motorcycle markets in the world, India and China, with an Indian auto manufacturer buying 48% of KTM in 2013. Now India and China have assembly plants locally. Manufacturers who change and position themselves for the planet's changing tastes and changing needs, is the one which profits. Witness European and Japanese cars globally destroying gas-guzzling poor-handling top-heavy American pickups and SUVs found only in America. H-D, pay attention, there is a lesson here.

Manufacturers who change and position themselves for the planet's changing tastes and changing needs, is the one which profits. Witness European and Japanese cars globally destroying gas-guzzling poor-handling top-heavy American pickups and SUVs found only in America. H-D, pay attention, there is a lesson here.

It's not for want of trying though. H-D have been desperate to reinvent themselves by throwing pretty much everything against the wall these days hoping something will stick - electric motorcycles, Adventure models, Streetfighters.

The problem is that they've cultivated such a "purist" mentality amongst the faithful, that if it doesn't look like an air-cooled Panhead from the 1940s, it's not a "real" Harley-Davidson. Served them well in the past when they were fending off the metric cruiser invasion. Now... not so much... Especially when the Faithful are now aging quickly out of motorcycles.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Had considered a new 790 Adventure as it is an impressive bike. but concerns about first year production put me off, plus they are moving production to India for 2020 so almost like another year to see if that works before I would be willing to get one.

HD dealerships are their own worst enemy. Last one I went into I shook my head as the salesmen pushed baggers on a group of kids looking at Sportsters, all the while classic rock garbage played in the background. Total anachronism.

HD dealerships are their own worst enemy. Last one I went into I shook my head as the salesmen pushed baggers on a group of kids looking at Sportsters, all the while classic rock garbage played in the background. Total anachronism.

Yes it's true. The HD dealers operate like GM and Ford dealers. The upselling has gone crazy. They've come along way since the 1970s hole-in-the-wall mom&pop dealers though. The ones where the mechanic had an open beer on the work bench and there was a couple of long-haired dudes in tattered jeans smoking a spliff out back. Those dealers were so marginal that there were no test rides. The new ones are like royal palaces in comparison. But that's what HD's execs want: a monied clientele. They're not a bike for just anyone.

My local HD in the city epitomizes arrogance and condescension, I go 70km up the 401 to a really cool, laid-back dealership in the county. Totally different attitude, they let the young techs choose playlists, bought both my Harleys there after trying to deal locally.

I remember a few years ago when the MoCo was pushing V-Rods and Buells pretty hard, the dealerships were having none of that.

You couldn't find any on the showroom floor - they were hidden in the back like they were off-brand trade-ins.

But hey, if you wanted a Road Glide, there were 18 of them all lined up at the front, in every colour and configuration they could conceivably come in. :rolleyes:

Had considered a new 790 Adventure as it is an impressive bike.

The R is teh_sexay

KTM-790-Adventure-R-3.jpg

Well, my RC8r has been really solid. 35,000km later, all it has had done repair wise (aside from general maintenance) is a rear cylinder valve cover gasket, exhaust flange needing to be re-tack welded and a gear position sensor.

Not sure if I'd be thrilled with that at only 35k.

My 2004 GSXR1000 with 100,000km's only issue outside of general maintenance was a sticky exhaust valve. Took the bike in for two valve adjustment checks and the bike has yet to need one. I'd say that's pretty solid.

lolwut?

Thats like saying your plane lost 3 out of 4 engines, so its all good

Back
Top Bottom