Kawasaki zx4rr | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kawasaki zx4rr

very cool bike. enough so that I took a look at the suzuki canada whoops kawasaki site. for the extra grand I would get the zx4rr, with track mode and a up/down QS and more..

Last edited:
1 out of 6 is mildly mislabeled. I can live with that.

Only 1, and mildly? The "R" is supposed to represent a homologation special, so it's more like only 1 is properly labelled when you compare what you get with the H2R to the standard H2. All other models in your list are just "base" models, regardless of how capable they may be. Kawasaki over the years has been randomly appending 1 or 2 R's to the model names with no rhyme or reason, and all it does is confuse people who aren't paying attention and, as I said, waters down the branding. A prime example of this, and why I am so displeased with their naming practice, was when I was selling my 1993 ZX7R homologation special - I had to weed out an abnormally large number of lowballers because not too many people realized what it was - by then, Kawasaki had renamed the base model to ZX7R and the homologation ZX7RR.

Only 1, and mildly? The "R" is supposed to represent a homologation special, so it's more like only 1 is properly labelled when you compare what you get with the H2R to the standard H2. All other models in your list are just "base" models, regardless of how capable they may be. Kawasaki over the years has been randomly appending 1 or 2 R's to the model names with no rhyme or reason, and all it does is confuse people who aren't paying attention and, as I said, waters down the branding. A prime example of this, and why I am so displeased with their naming practice, was when I was selling my 1993 ZX7R homologation special - I had to weed out an abnormally large number of lowballers because not too many people realized what it was - by then, Kawasaki had renamed the base model to ZX7R and the homologation ZX7RR.

I thought that since that 7RR model (flat slides? a buddy has one, a pain to set up, but so sweet on the track when done right), that was always the Kawi system to identify the homologation versions. Even the latest ZX10R and ZX10RR are divided that way. To me, Kawasaki has typically labeled anything with even the edge of sporting pretension with an R. I had a ZX14R for a brief time, and the only R for that bike was at the drag strip. If the intent of this one is to be raced or tracked, I don't have an issue with it being labeled RR.

Look at Honda with the R's. They make Kawi look restrained...

No, it seems "RR" currently designates pretty much homologation race specials: see Honda, BMW, Ducati, etc.
You're going back 30 years, as I recall the ZX750RR back then was factory special. I think maybe 15 were built ?
We won't even get into KZ1000R and S1R Kawasakis - they didn't share much except the tank badges.
The current Hondas that are "CBRRRRRRRRRRRRs" are named for pirates...

I thought that since that 7RR model (flat slides? a buddy has one, a pain to set up, but so sweet on the track when done right), that was always the Kawi system to identify the homologation versions. Even the latest ZX10R and ZX10RR are divided that way. To me, Kawasaki has typically labeled anything with even the edge of sporting pretension with an R. I had a ZX14R for a brief time, and the only R for that bike was at the drag strip. If the intent of this one is to be raced or tracked, I don't have an issue with it being labeled RR.

Look at Honda with the R's. They make Kawi look restrained...

Don't get me started with Honda - "CBR1000 RR-R SP LOL".

No, it seems "RR" currently designates pretty much homologation race specials: see Honda, BMW, Ducati, etc.
You're going back 30 years, as I recall the ZX750RR back then was factory special. I think maybe 15 were built ?
We won't even get into KZ1000R and S1R Kawasakis - they didn't share much except the tank badges.
The current Hondas that are "CBRRRRRRRRRRRRs" are named for pirates...

It's fine if they're consistent, after all RR usually stands for Race Replica. My beef is when they don't stick to a naming convention, which causes confusion.

The only Ducati I'm aware of is the Desmosedici RR, and it's forgiven since it's pretty much the previous years' MotoGP bike. Otherwise the homologation versions of their street bikes are appended with a single R, and they've been consistent (well, since they stopped using SP/SPS). If you're referring to their RS line, those aren't street bike homologation specials, those are pure race bikes.

The only models with an R are literallly the race bikes. Zx-10R, H2R, ZX-6R, ZX-4R and RR. There are no other Rs. You're flat-out wrong.

What the hell are you on about? Kawasaki doesn't put an R on the 650, nor the Ninja 400. You're just making stuff up.

etc, etc, etc

I appreciate you calling me a liar, can I call you a moron now?

The only models with an R are literallly the race bikes. Zx-10R, H2R, ZX-6R, ZX-4R and RR. There are no other Rs. You're flat-out wrong.
1680282662026.png

Attachments

• 1680282320833.png
    1680282320833.png
    666.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Personally I fully expect marketing to dilute branding at every possible opportunity. They can't help it, it's as inevitable as rust. There is no honour to be lost

What other R's are you talking about, and what exactly am I "flat-out wrong" about?

iu

If I may humbly leave a comment here about nomenclature, I would say that necessary, in today's world, there is not a correlation between the name and a meaning assigned in the past, that manufactures are holding on. For example, Yamaha using the R7, Honda using GB (for the 350 and 500 produced in India... Which technically it's not far from the original concept of 1989 bike) and the CB and Hornet in the same model... Granted, the main topic was misuse of homogation R or RR from Kawasaki. I won't defend the whole lineup, but I would like to point out, on the case of ZX4R and ZX4RR, the amount of risk (business wise) Kawasaki is committing in to take not only development of 4 cylinder small displacement bike but to sell it on the north American market, with the aggravating fact that the theoretical 16k rpm may not be available here (which is, IMO, the main attraction factor, and the around 80hp power... Correct me if I am wrong). Consider even the fact that there is already a 400, pretty well praised. So, in this case specifically, putting the R for distinguish it from the basic and the RR for a more track focus one is not, again IMO, that bad. At the very least, not that strange for the Kawasaki consumer.

Your own screenshot proves that the 400 and 650 are not currently given the R, and your other references show that they haven't for over a decade.
Your claim that Kawasaki waters down the R is straight-up false (in 2023).
(We'll disagree on the ZX-14R - which I would say gets the R designation for its drag racing performance but you will say doesn't deserve an "R" at all).

Back
Top Bottom