Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

Lol
People know that if they friend me on fb, they gonna be contest tagged!

Also, just checked with one person, he is able to be tagged by others.
Maybe they just locked you out Joe so they don't get contest tags :)

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

FB tag update:
Looks like it may be the FB lite app. Able to tag said friends through the browser.
I sent FB a problem report.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

New question:

HP Chromebook -- died on a coworker.
He said it was the fan and was gonna throw it out.
I took it to take to the recyclers, but I'm wondering: a new fan is ~$25
If I swap it out, should it work?

If so, this would be great for my little guy.

Also, cell question: Pixel 3a, ringer is not loud enough and I can miss the vibrate when it's sitting on the table in front of me.
Anything I can do to remedy?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

chromebook, didn't know they had a fan?
and they are not a real PC, cannot run MS office apps
kind of a must have for any enterprise related computing
they are basically an android tablet with a keyboard

Pixel, I always install a ringtone package on a new phone
as the stock ringers are useless, can't hear them
my favorite is the foghorn ringer, loud AF

Little guy uses D2L (school based app/ site/ program)
Watches YT
That's about it.

Or I could use it, for contests.

Gonna double check..

I *think* it's a Chromebook

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC

Reactions: J_F
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC

Does it boot and then die? If it won't turn on at all, you likely have further issues.

As for ringer, I use a smartwatch (garmin in my case, but almost all of them would work) to vibrate my wrist when the phone rings.

Does it boot and then die? If it won't turn on at all, you likely have further issues.

As for ringer, I use a smartwatch (garmin in my case, but almost all of them would work) to vibrate my wrist when the phone rings.
Doesn't turn on at all.
Fan died then killed the cpu?

I have been looking at smart watches.
I like the Gear line, but also looking at the larger FitBits.

Doesn't turn on at all.
Fan died then killed the cpu?

I have been looking at smart watches.
I like the Gear line, but also looking at the larger FitBits.

I wouldnt be buying parts until I had a better idea what was wrong. If nothing at all happens when you press power, I would check to make sure the power supply is working. If it is providing power, either the switch is dead or the motherboard is. Even if the cpu is dead, you should get some beeps.

Bought an HP Envy X360 from Costco a few months ago. Took a day to set it all up, and the next day, I pushed the on button and nothing happened. I ended up taking it back for a refund. Ended up with a much less expensive and less featured Acer, which is still going.

I've had 3 HP laptops over the years
total junk, all 3 of them

have reverted back to my ugly, heavy and indestructible thinkpads
only machine that has stood up to my travels

we have about 40 laptops in the company, all ThinkPads. lots have been tried, the ThinkPad seems to take the best office setting/travel beatings.

I put a $3,000 panasonic toughbook into use on a boat, it was ok but I'm now using ipads, ipad in a protective case is working out well. I'd really like to see manufacturers make product that could work with apple/ and android as opposed to one or the other. I'm really tired of having three and four platforms to make things work. ( yes I know its a fantasy dream) . I'm not savvy enough to reprogram/ cross program stuff

I've had 3 HP laptops over the years
total junk, all 3 of them

have reverted back to my ugly, heavy and indestructible thinkpads
only machine that has stood up to my travels
Weird. We used them for years at work and I always buy them or take them when they're retired.

Out of about 10 or 15 I've never had a single thing fail on any of them. Oh wait, I think I replaced the battery in two of them.

We even use them where we should use Toughbooks. I had one that was used outdoors in the winter in both Nunavut and NWT (testing the wind tower at Wrigley and Kugaaruk).

Gf even bought one of her own. Only thing that broke was the screen when she dropped it once. $50 later it was back up and running because they're so easy to work on.

Now we've switched to Surface. Out of 4 people I know there were 3 replacements in a year. One guy is on his 3rd and another had his fail once within a couple of months of getting it.

In regards to Apple and Android cross compatibility: if you use Google services they work fine on both and easily integrate with each other.

Last edited:
HP enterprise laptops and HP consumer laptops are two different horse colours. I haven't touched an HP consumer laptop in years but it sounds like they're still useless, disgusting garbage

Just bought 2 HP from my wife's work place auction. 2 years old work fine. Always Toshiba before that for personal use. Still have one. Have a Lenovo E335 that's 8-10 years old. Win7 pro. Works great just can't upgrade to win10.

HP enterprise laptops and HP consumer laptops are two different horse colours. I haven't touched an HP consumer laptop in years but it sounds like they're still useless, disgusting garbage

Similar story with IBM (Lenovo these days).
The consumer grade sucks.
The business grade are a workhorse.
Ever since I came across them in my Co-op days, I haven't considered anything else.
They are ugly or just so bland, but its a laptop. It't not suppose to look good. It's suppose to work and they work very well.
One of the best laptops I ever owned.

Reactions: J_F
only issue I've ever had with thinkpads is batteries
they don't seem to last very long

have never lost a key, never had an HDD frag
never had to replace a screen, never failed to boot

have had a few enterprise level Dells over the years
they have also been quite good

Back
Top Bottom