It's The No Passport Tour 2020! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

It's The No Passport Tour 2020!

You will love it shane, it looks like a mostly straight road on google maps but it's not, it's very twisty. Nice scenery too. Let us know how you liked it.

I’m heading to Timmins on the 15th, probably 11 northbound and 144 southbound. On a mission so it’s gonna be 2 days of 750 km. Looking for a couple of interesting dining and rest stops.
Stop at the Temagami marina on Hwy. 11.

Yep, I'll try 638 and 101 through Quebec next time. Thanks Dan.

I had grand plans for some long distance travel in the USA this summer. That is, until they became the Infected States of America. Thanks a lot, Covid!

Further west on the Trans Canada to Thessalon, then north on 129. The first half, to around Aubrey Falls, is fantastic; twists and turns, up and down, plenty of blind crests. The northern half is new aspalt, wide open, big sweeping curves, and less challenging. Watch out for police along here; we got lucky. Services along 129 are scarce; make sure you have fuel.
I like the Infected States of America. Thanks!

How far up the 129 would you say the tighter twisty part went to? I recall the last time I was on it, I came from Iron Bridge and the 546/554 and it was gravel after that junction for about 20-30 km, so I think I missed the best twisty part, just north of the TransCanada. This time, I don't want to ride up to Aubrey Falls and/or take Ranger Lake Road, because I've already done those bits and the rest of the 129 up to Chapleau.

I like the Infected States of America. Thanks!

How far up the 129 would you say the tighter twisty part went to? I recall the last time I was on it, I came from Iron Bridge and the 546/554 and it was gravel after that junction for about 20-30 km, so I think I missed the best twisty part, just north of the TransCanada. This time, I don't want to ride up to Aubrey Falls and/or take Ranger Lake Road, because I've already done those bits and the rest of the 129 up to Chapleau.

Shane, I'd say the lower half of 129 is better. From Thessalon to around Aubrey Falls, I think. If you don't want to go to Chapleau or do 556, and you want to remain on asphalt, your only choice is to turn around.

It's Sunday, and we're off to Timmins along the 101. Dark skies and some light rain, but no bother. Arrived in Timmins around noon and carried on. Where to? Continued south on Hwy. 11, stopped for a snooze under some trees in Englehart.

IMG-20200726-141224799-HDR.jpg

The 701 steam engine, retired from service in 1957, rests in Englehart.

IMG-20200726-163629511-HDR.jpg

Keeping with the theme, here is the train station in Temagami. By the way, there is a beautiful marina and rest area here.

IMG-20200726-183900816.jpg

Time to man up and pitch the tents! Marten River Provincial Park.

IMG-20200726-183925438.jpg

It's a fine park with all the amenities one would expect. Light rain for most of the night, but we kept warm and dry.

Monday morning we aimed for home. A McBreakfest in North Bay, then further south on Hwy. 11. Harry also found us a few squiggly roads as well as some good gravel.

map-2.jpg

The route. Take a closer look here: Toronto to Dixie Rd

So, five nights out, about 2800km, roughly 500km per day. It was a nice pace, never rushed, we never had to be anywhere at a specific time. Motels were never a problem, I saw vacancies everywhere. Food choices are still limited, though. Mostly fast food, chip trucks, etc. There are a variety of selections in Chapleau. We were fortunate to have good weather; we missed the oppressive heat of Toronto, and only had a bit of rain. Perfect.

Ontario is an immensely vast province, so many roads to ride. Get out there!

@Jayell you’ve inspired me to go camping. I booked a few nights next week at Finlayson Point Provincial Park up on Lake Temagami. Will most likely be in the van though as my two sons are coming along. Honestly, I was a little surprised (and happy) that they said yes.
Moto camping will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jayell you’ve inspired me to go camping. I booked a few nights next week at Finlayson Point Provincial Park up on Lake Temagami. Will most likely be in the van though as my two sons are coming along. Honestly, I was a little surprised (and happy) that they said yes.
Moto camping will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! You guys will have a great time!

Just back from a 5 day 2,300 km trip to Sudbury/Manitoulin Island area. Nice area, not the greatest roads bike wise but nice to get out and about.

Just back from a 5 day 2,300 km trip to Sudbury/Manitoulin Island area. Nice area, not the greatest roads bike wise but nice to get out and about.
Nice, post some photos or it didn't happen ;) :ROFLMAO:

Nice, post some photos or it didn't happen ;) :ROFLMAO:

I seem to have all these bills for accommodation, meals and gas from the Sudbury area so I'm pretty sure I was there.

Photos too large to upload and I'm not reformatting them one by one. Someone give me an easy way for mass edit photos to make them fit the forum size parameters and I'll post them.

I seem to have all these bills for accommodation, meals and gas from the Sudbury area so I'm pretty sure I was there.

Photos too large to upload and I'm not reformatting them one by one. Someone give me an easy way for mass edit photos to make them fit the forum size parameters and I'll post them.

FastStone Image Viewer. View, edit, batch re-size, etc. Free.

Heading up this coming week. Plans include 129 to Chapleau, 101 to Wawa, 17 to Nipigon. Then returning on 17 through the park. I've never been past Elliott Lake so it'll be new territory for me.
Thinking to just wing it for motels instead of pre booking. I don't want to "have" to be anywhere.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

That's an enjoyable run. I usually stay on 17 around Iron Bridge. Then up to Chapleau and over to Wawa - some nice scenery and occasional critter.
Mind your fuel coming back down 17 - nothing in the park - ask me how I know ?
That stretch is gorgeous along Superior but can be very foggy too. Lots of places to swim tho. Enjoy. If I get any itchier to ride I just might play hooky as looks like Gaspe is off for this year.

...................some nice scenery and occasional critter..............

On the way to Timmins from Sudbury saw a blur of an animal cross the road about 100m in front of the lead rider, thought it was a deer. We all slowed way down and as I went by saw a wolf standing in the ditch looking straight at me as I went by. In 6 decades of cottage country travel this marks the just the second time I've seen a wolf in the wild, great country up there.

Did your hackles rise when it looked at you?? Mine did when a couple of timber wolves ran across the road late at night. Then one stopped 100 meters away and looked at me. Damn ...some atavistic reaction ....I'm in a car, 100 meters away and my body sez ...".want nuthin' to do with this"
Milton of all places ...had to look it up on line and others have seen the pair as well.

Did your hackles rise when it looked at you?? Mine did when a couple of timber wolves ran across the road late at night. Then one stopped 100 meters away and looked at me. Damn ...some atavistic reaction ....I'm in a car, 100 meters away and my body sez ...".want nuthin' to do with this"
Milton of all places ...had to look it up on line and others have seen the pair as well.
I'm heading to Timmins via 144 on Friday. Anyone done Sudbury 84 from Capreol to 560?

I'm heading to Timmins via 144 on Friday. Anyone done Sudbury 84 from Capreol to 560?
I have not, but it looks great on the map. Asphalt or gravel?

Let us know if you ride it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom