It begins.. Ontario Govt to reduce std road limit to 40km/ph !!! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

It begins.. Ontario Govt to reduce std road limit to 40km/ph !!!

Lol current political climate makes me a lot less sad about leaving Ontario soon.. Who do we have?

-You see what Wynne's inflicting on our province..
-Then there's "kill the cow for the milk" Mike Harris Jr. a.k.a. Tea Party Tim
-The dips don't need a special introduction

There's a reason I routinely decline my ballot at provincial elections...

About the same number of kids who die crossing the road die in drownings. Ban swimming pools? Bathtubs?

increase the speeds to 90km/h or more. How many pedestrian deaths are there on 90km/h roads?

yeah, i'm being facetious.

Calgary has the data, people drive slower there. The problem with traffic calming measures is that this is Canada, and clearing snow is difficult with those measures.

I'd like to see some technology, like coloured light on the dashboard telling you when you have exceeded the limit by 10km/hr, driven by GPS location and a speed limit database.

Garmin Nuvi i have in my car has this technology

if you set the display to show speed, direction, etc. it shows my current speed, and the posted speed, if you exceed the limit the font turns red. Other things working in the background are tallying distance travelled, average speed, top speed, moving time, stationary time,...

technology is already available

From this file:

76% pedestrian deaths are urban. (duh)

20% pedestrians were distracted.

Highest rates are teenagers and seniors (duh, they don't have cars)

802 children injured, 8 dead in 2011.

67% of fatalities happen on roads with posted speeds above 50km/hr (so lowering this will have no effect).

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...ypNtSUWu6b_51ydGw&sig2=qwy-NjY72uFq1T4P-7pj4w

That link does not answer why and how pedestrians are getting hit. Are most pedestrians hit on crosswalks by drivers that don't see the red/lights/stop sign or or they jaywalkers that jump in traffic? IMHO that's the most important question.

And ppl will ignore it(flashing lights on the dash, etc.)...just like they ignore the speedo that tells you what speed you are doing and looking at the signs to tell you what speed you should be maxed at.....

That link does not answer why and how pedestrians are getting hit. Are most pedestrians hit on crosswalks by drivers that don't see the red/lights/stop sign or or they jaywalkers that jump in traffic? IMHO that's the most important question.

We can assume that the 20% distracted number means pedestrians are at-fault.

And ppl will ignore it(flashing lights on the dash, etc.)...just like they ignore the speedo that tells you what speed you are doing and looking at the signs to tell you what speed you should be maxed at.....

Many city roads have no posted speed limits, or rare ones, or ones covered by trees, or fell down, etc.

We can assume that the 20% distracted number means pedestrians are at-fault.

Well... that's a big assumption. For example jaywalkers aren't necessary distracted. So the at-fault number is likely higher than 20%.

kids are stupid. My kids included. My son knows better than to run out into traffic...at least crossing the street, but kids on bicycles are another business. I speak about road safety to my kids all the time, but yesterday I watched my son do a ****ing u-turn in front of a car on my street. My street is 40kph. Had it been 50 kph he would have gotten hit. Bring on 40kph in all residential zones And Yes...his *** got a kicking after that stunt.

.... yesterday I watched my son do a ****ing u-turn in front of a car on my street. My street is 40kph. Had it been 50 kph he would have gotten hit. Bring on 40kph in all residential zones

Yes, rather than hold the stupidity of a few to more accountability, let's make everyone pay with more restrictions and limitations. That is the Ontario way.

Premier Mom and Dad for sure.

I don't know how the world survived all these years without all these added laws and restrictions. A miracle I guess.

kids are stupid. My kids included. My son knows better than to run out into traffic...at least crossing the street, but kids on bicycles are another business. I speak about road safety to my kids all the time, but yesterday I watched my son do a ****ing u-turn in front of a car on my street. My street is 40kph. Had it been 50 kph he would have gotten hit. Bring on 40kph in all residential zones And Yes...his *** got a kicking after that stunt.
Glad your son is safe.. But the speed limit could have been anything... It depends on what the car driver was doing. A good driver would have seen the cyclist and been cautious that they may do something erratic.

When I was a child in NZ we had major roads through small towns and speed limits didnt drop through them at the time. I remember my dad doing 80 km/be and this 3yr old child ran out in front of us from nowhere...Dad literally stopped about 2 feet from the kid after skidding to a stop...who was deer eyes frozen. I'll never forget that moment. No ABS back then either in 1981.

Many city roads have no posted speed limits, or rare ones, or ones covered by trees, or fell down, etc.

If it is not posted it is a 50 in towns and cities and 80 in a rural area. Basic info you should not be driving if you don't know that. It is even in the drivers handbook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How come I have no problems with doing the limit in most other jurisdictions, but in Ontario, the only reason I routinely do just under 20 over is because I wanna minimize the hassle from the popo? And now they wanna make things even worse in addition to increasing traffic congestion in the city that elected them.... Yah, thanks but no thanks.

There's a reason I routinely decline my ballot at provincial elections...

You didn't decline your ballot, you didn't vote, so if you wonder why the choice is so poor, it's because people don't vote. There are alternatives to the three stooges.

If it is not posted it is a 50 in towns and cities and 80 in a rural area. Basic info you should not be driving if you don't know that. It is even in the drivers handbook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

unless it's not, and you get nicked.

How come I have no problems with doing the limit in most other jurisdictions, but in Ontario, the only reason I routinely do just under 20 over is because I wanna minimize the hassle from the popo? And now they wanna make things even worse in addition to increasing traffic congestion in the city that elected them.... Yah, thanks but no thanks.

Oh, so raising speed limits means less traffic?

That was the policy of the Ontario freedom party, but they didn't get elected, because their strongest supporters don't vote.

http://www.freedomparty.on.ca/

Oh, so raising speed limits means less traffic?

Within reason, yes. The faster cars go, the less time they spend on the roads, the more room there is for other cars. Now, I admit that's not coming anywhere near being the silver bullet that we need to resolve our situation, but making the situation worse, won't help either. Just a cash grab.

Back
Top Bottom