Is it just me??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it just me???

jeff96

The other day I noticed I was missing an allen head bolt holding on the mirror. I decided to go for a ride, so went to the honda dealer in Orillia. (It's a 2011 CBR250). In the parking lot, I removed the other bolt from the mirror and brought it into the shop and asked the guy at the desk for a bolt. He looked at me like I had asked for a thrust vector computer for an apollo spacecraft. I said "it's kind of a common motorcycle thing..." so he went out back for a few minutes, and came back saying nope, they can't help me.
Am I being the a-hole here? I've always thought I'd ride Hondas for the rest of my life, but certainly not one purchased from them. I know they won't make any money off a sale of a stupid bolt even if it is overpriced (and I was prepared to overpay). Am I unreasonable to expect reasonable service at a motorcycle dealership?

No you are totally reasonable, the guy behind the counter is a drone and the guy out back who he asked had no time for him.

I needed the same thing one bolt for my mirror i went to Ready Honda in Mississauga they offered to sell me the whole mirror! I went to CT it worked out.

Snow City Cycle in Scarborough orders small things like that for me all the time - they may not have it in stock, but they have no problems ordering it for me, and they will even mail it to me for a small handling fee (like 5 bucks I think). Best to get a part number but even if you don't have that they should be able to look it up easily enough for ya. Last order was a wingnut, spacer, and spring for a rear brake cable (old drum brake bike) - there's no way they made much money off that but my parts arrived in 3 days - great service.

Did you just show him the bolt and ask him to match it up, or did you go through the parts fiche with him explaining the exact model and which part so he could pull up the correct part number?

Yeah for the average parts counter guy at a crummy dealership you are gonna have to walk in with a part number and give no hints that it's a bolt till they put the part number on to an invoice. At that stage, it's more work for them to decline you than continue the order.

Other option is to go to any fastener store like bolts plus. Chances are you will walk out 5 minutes later bolts in hand.

I never go into a dealer (motorcycle or car) without getting a part number from a manufacturer’s fiche. It often gives me an idea of the price of the part.

I find doing the work up front saves a lot of time overall.

Heck, I even write my full name and phone number down and hand them the paper so they can’t screw anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: @jeff96 please double check the honda parts fiche yourself to make sure this is the one you actually need

If it’s #20 on the parts fiche I looked at, it’s this one...

6b0954fa2e5f2fdd9b1309676473666c.jpg
e229f60f46ae22e1bea229de4c51ea55.jpg
b3120b7b5b672b62830546b02c75eeb7.jpg

In this day of internets... No need to bother the parts guy.
I recall trying to get a couple of bar end bolts from a local dealer...
Unbelievable... You'd think I was asking for the secret to understanding women.
I gave him the bike name, year, model and even showed him the old bolts....
He ordered what he thought was the right bolts, but... when I went to pick them up...
Not even close... Lol.

I go home... look up Suzuki parts diagrams on another dealers website. Placed the order and they arrived in my mailbox in a week.

I always go to internets first now

Pretty sad service. Big or small we do our best to serve out customers (not in the motorcycle business). I had good service in Waterloo with the Honda motorcycle dealer there. I remember coming home from a day trip and noticed my pegs felt slippery. I looked down and found the oil cap on my CB919 was nowhere to be found and oil was shooting out. Plugged it up with a part of myself sock and got myself home. Next day went to Honda, they did not have the part in stock but sold me one off a new bike they had on the floor and I was on my way. They never let me down and were always accommodating. I would not stop buying a brand because of a dealer but I would certainly move to another one who actually cared about your business big or small.

@Robbo yep, that's the one. I'm just going to go to the Peterborough Cycle Salvage place or find a fastener place.

It's more the principle of the thing. If he had said "Look, we don't order in nickle and dime pieces like that because I'd have to charge you an arm and a leg and I'd look like a dick", I would get it.

The secret to understanding women... Any luck with that?

Did you see the price for a screw, they are charging you an arm and a leg, no worries there.

@Robbo yep, that's the one. I'm just going to go to the Peterborough Cycle Salvage place or find a fastener place.

It's more the principle of the thing. If he had said "Look, we don't order in nickle and dime pieces like that because I'd have to charge you an arm and a leg and I'd look like a dick", I would get it.

The secret to understanding women... Any luck with that?

The good thing about the fiche is it often gives the bolt size...in this case 6x13 which is also why I posted it.

I do understand your frustration.

Every Montesa comes with a comprehensive service and parts manual, shouldn't they all?

This is the best site I’ve found for Canadian pricing (since they’re acatually in Canada as opposed to being in the US and simply doing a currency conversion):
# HONDA Motorcycles & ATVS Genuine Spare Parts Catalog

You’ll get the Canadian pricing plus shipping and taxes. Then you can decide whether to order though then, go local, or go US. For 2011 Honda CBR125R parts, I found Ready Powersports to be surprisingly competitive and their parts guy is pretty good. Downside is they’re always busy, either with people in person or calling in. Also, now that GP Bikes is a Honda dealer you can try them. I’ve ordered $2 bolts for my Ducati through them and they never gave me attitude.

... you're not like some gorgeous 6 foot tall leather clad female on a red Ducati are you?

If you're running a business, inventory is money sitting on the shelf and borrowed from the bank. Odd slow moving stuff is a liability. That said Ready Honda has always been good to me.

I might have to wait for it to come in but it beats buying cheap on line and choking on shipping, hoping a porch bandit doesn't get it first.

The good thing about the fiche is it often gives the bolt size...in this case 6x13 which is also why I posted it.

I do understand your frustration.

Which is why you go to Bolts Plus or Brafasco and ask for help.They will usually sell it as a sample. (free) If you do it frequently tho,be sure to bring coffee and donuts.

Back
Top Bottom