Is it just me??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it just me???

Snow City Cycle in Scarborough orders small things like that for me all the time - they may not have it in stock, but they have no problems ordering it for me, and they will even mail it to me for a small handling fee (like 5 bucks I think). Best to get a part number but even if you don't have that they should be able to look it up easily enough for ya. Last order was a wingnut, spacer, and spring for a rear brake cable (old drum brake bike) - there's no way they made much money off that but my parts arrived in 3 days - great service.

Yes, snow city can order it in, but I find it surprising I can't get a basic bolt, oil filter or even spark plug as they are never in stock. These parts are common for about 1/2 dozen Yamaha's. Amazes me that If someone brought in their bike for service they won't have what I consider basic parts available but will be able to order it in for a few days wait?
Doesn't help now that they now also sell Honda as well as Suzuki and Yamaha.

A 6x13 (well, 6x15) allen head screw is not something that should have to be ordered. Any self respecting parts person should have them in stock.
I ran a parts dept. for 23 years, I'd be embarrassed if I didn't have one. It might be silver instead of black, but who cares ?

Yes, snow city can order it in, but I find it surprising I can't get a basic bolt, oil filter or even spark plug as they are never in stock. These parts are common for about 1/2 dozen Yamaha's. Amazes me that If someone brought in their bike for service they won't have what I consider basic parts available but will be able to order it in for a few days wait?
Doesn't help now that they now also sell Honda as well as Suzuki and Yamaha.

I've been buying Yamaha parts from Snow City for over ten years now. I don't remember the last time I called for a part and they had it in stock. Well, I think they had a clutch cable for my FZ6 once, that was weird. Don't think it's all that unreasonable given the number of various bike models they sell.

I call them a few days in advance with the part numbers I need, they call me when they come in. Not the end of the world, and they have been very reliable.

To the point of this thread, I have ordered probably $100 worth of bolts/washers over the years from Snow City. Most of them one or two at a time, as they get lost/vibrate out. For $2-3 a bolt, I would much rather have all matching original bolts than mixing and matching whatever works

Which is why you go to Bolts Plus or Brafasco and ask for help.They will usually sell it as a sample. (free) If you do it frequently tho,be sure to bring coffee and donuts.

Most automotive standard threads are not readily available thru those two places. Especially M8 and higher as they are mostly fine pitch threads on the bikes. Example, try finding an M10 x 1 at Brafasco. M6 and M5 standard SHCS can be found there easily tho. Maybe not so much the stainless button heads that are so common on motorcycles.

To the point of this thread, I have ordered probably $100 worth of bolts/washers over the years from Snow City. Most of them one or two at a time, as they get lost/vibrate out. For $2-3 a bolt, I would much rather have all matching original bolts than mixing and matching whatever works

I've easily spent triple that. But Im a little OCD when it comes to that stuff. The right material of bolt so it doesn't rust, the right size Allen head so it doesn't need a different Allen key, the right length so your not grinding off threads, the right shoulder length, the right diameter button so you're not cutting a hole into your fairings when tightening, or needing to stack washers etc............Ill pay the 5 dollars a bolt all day long when I have to.

And don't forget your blue thread lock people :)

Did you see the price for a screw, they are charging you an arm and a leg, no worries there.

If that was the only item on the shopping list the dealer could be losing money even if they got the part free. Can you imagine what parts bins would look like if they were self serve? Therefore the labour to identify the whichamacallit, find it on the screen, check stock and location, go get it, run the invoice and collect the payment. Walking in with the part number is a help.

Also the internet shopper won't pay $10.00 shipping on a $4.00 screw to get it for half price. They will however buy the big ticket items on line for the savings because the shipping doesn't clobber the discount.

Not being in the business I don't know if the shop draws parts from the same shelves or has their own nuts and bolts department. I recall having to wait for crush washers to come in. Would the shop tie up space and delay invoicing waiting for crush washers?

... you're not like some gorgeous 6 foot tall leather clad female on a red Ducati are you?

No, but since this is the internet, I guess I could be anyone you want.

MotoCorsa-seDUCATIve-MANigale-photo-comparison-08.jpg

MotoCorsa-seDUCATIve-MANigale-photo-comparison-07.jpg

:cool: We've got every parts counter desk person covered (y)
now where are my nuts and screws please.

... and here is my CMA membership # to get my 10% discount.

I normally consider myself a quite intelligent idiot, but even the definition of "fiche" didn't help me out.
It says short for microfiche. So the diagrams with parts that they use to used at the parts counter?
Someone please explain/ confirm.
Thanks

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is not just you. Customer service is non existent nowdays. Unless you are buying a big item. Mostly they can`t be bothered. Unless you are a regular big spending customer.

That is why I go to small businesses. (Mike in Burlington, comes to mind. Gear apparel)
With the exception of service on the bike. Have to go to Ducati. Craig, of course.

Sidebar, went to CT looking for Emery paper. Asked 2 sales people. Did not have a clue. Went to the 3rd and he suggested looking in the Health section. You try wiping your rear end with emery paper. He He.

Great other suggestions here. "Wingboy" etc. Great reason for being on this site. Lots of knowledgeable fellow riders.
All I need is the 6/49 numbers.

Joe, are you phishing for compliments.

"I normally consider nyself a quite intelligent idiot, but even the definition of "fiche" didn't help me out."

I went to the HD Brafasco store on Eglinton just west of Dixie rd in Mississauga for some fasteners. Didn't know there was a minimum purchase requirement. i would avoid the headache in matching/looking and just get the parts number and go to the dealer plus you can check out the bikes.

I went to the HD Brafasco store on Eglinton just west of Dixie rd in Mississauga for some fasteners. Didn't know there was a minimum purchase requirement. i would avoid the headache in matching/looking and just get the parts number and go to the dealer plus you can check out the bikes.

Same with the one at Belfield and 27 but Bolts Plus across the highway didn't.

Joe, are you phishing for compliments.

"I normally consider nyself a quite intelligent idiot, but even the definition of "fiche" didn't help me out."
No.
But if you're feeling complimentary.....lol

I normally consider myself a quite intelligent idiot, but even the definition of "fiche" didn't help me out.
It says short for microfiche. So the diagrams with parts that they use to used at the parts counter?
Someone please explain/ confirm.
Thanks

To answer the question, yes fiche is short for microfiche. The plastic films with all the part diagrams and # in miniature before computers.
Microfiche-Reader-Viewer.jpg

I usually plan ahead and order OEM parts from US vendors. Even after currency exchange parts are a minimum of 25 -35 % less expense + no GTA Honda dealer has ever had parts in stock + I had to travel to their location to place an order and then come back 3 - 4 days later to pick up the parts. Usually a complete PITA.

Had an unexpected need a few weeks ago while doing shim under bucket valve clearance adjustment on my ST and Milton Honda took my order by phone at 2PM and then called me at 9:30 the next day to say parts were in and ready to be picked up. Paid more for these vs. US source, but great service none the less and much appreciated.

Find yourself a good fastener dealer/shop and be done paying through the nose. I like Lauries Fasteners in London. They sell you individual or by the box and don't $crew you for one offs.

Stock Room guys ..the good ones anyways... know what bin, what parts go into. They are supposed to cycle count and ensure parts inventory is up... However, they may or may not have knowledge about motorcycle/machinery parts and what goes where on a bike.

He may have known where the bolts section is... but without you telling him a part number OR thread type ( m6, m8, length etc)... he would have felt lost and given you a no go answer.

I had a similar story many years ago. I noted on a routine inspection of my Virago that the swing arm had some lateral play in it when it absolutely should not. After consulting with a buddy we figured it was the swing arm bearing. I went to my local Yamaha shop (long gone now) and told them I needed to order a swing arm bearing. The parts guy who had been a parts guy for 30yrs said "No you don't". I told him that I did and he again said "No you don't." I asked him why he was so sure and he said he'd been repairing Viragos for over 15yrs at that point and had never replaced a swing arm bearing. So, I took him out in the parking lot, put the bike up on the centre stand and showed him the play in the swing arm to which he replied "Holy s**t! You need a swing arm bearing!" It turned out that the part failed so rarely that there wasn't a single one in North America and it had to be ordered from Japan.

There are lots of little parts on a bike that they never have to order so when they do have to order one in it almost seems like a huge task to them. Now when I dealt with Clarington Cycle, whole different ball game. Mike would pull up the schematic and tell me to point to the part I needed and no matter how big or small would have it there in 2 days or less! I miss Mike and Clarington Cycle!

Back
Top Bottom