Interesting scam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting scam

sburns

So I had a what appeared to be a client request my services. At first it seemed very legitimate, with the usual questions about the services etc.

Then some flags started to appear. Instead of what a typical client would say "I'd like to book your services how do we do this" they go on to say I'll make a payment of $xxx hundred of dollars, either by CC or check (not correct spelling either), and oh I'm out of town but will be back in time for the date. First I didn't even mention how much my deposit is and they never asked how much, it certianly isn't several hundreds of dollars.

Umm ok. I write back and ask how do you plan to provide a cheque for the deposit., and when will you be back in town?

I'll be back a week before the date (umm ok sure) and goes on to explain this will be a "Remote deposit", describing the process as "emailing" me a scan of the front and back of the check and signing into my app via my device etc and using the scan to deposit the check. Oh and can you tell me what bank you use? (umm no I can't)

I wanted to play along some more, but didn't want to potentially compromise myself. I just wrote back and said my bank is irrelevant to you, I didn't take payments using that method and please provide a eTransfer if you are interested. Surprised I haven't heard back from them. :cautious:

Did I dodge a bullet?

Anytime it smells I ask for E transfer. It’s not 100% safe either, but it’s better then a PayPal transfer or a check.

So I had a what appeared to be a client request my services. At first it seemed very legitimate, with the usual questions about the services etc.

Then some flags started to appear. Instead of what a typical client would say "I'd like to book your services how do we do this" they go on to say I'll make a payment of $xxx hundred of dollars, either by CC or check (not correct spelling either), and oh I'm out of town but will be back in time for the date. First I didn't even mention how much my deposit is and they never asked how much, it certianly isn't several hundreds of dollars.

Umm ok. I write back and ask how do you plan to provide a cheque for the deposit., and when will you be back in town?

I'll be back a week before the date (umm ok sure) and goes on to explain this will be a "Remote deposit", describing the process as "emailing" me a scan of the front and back of the check and signing into my app via my device etc and using the scan to deposit the check. Oh and can you tell me what bank you use? (umm no I can't)

I wanted to play along some more, but didn't want to potentially compromise myself. I just wrote back and said my bank is irrelevant to you, I didn't take payments using that method and please provide a eTransfer if you are interested. Surprised I haven't heard back from them. :cautious:

Did I dodge a bullet?

When someone you don’t know offers to overpay you or pays a sum you didn’t ask for, I think the scam works by them asking for a refund of the difference and then their original payment doesn’t clear. You can check by asking for an e-transfer, waiting till the funds are in your account and then going from there but my guess is that they will have some excuse as to why they can’t do that.

I had a person say they were on an oil rig and can we do all this remotely so I told them I was on the oil rig next to them and they could just row across.

When someone you don’t know offers to overpay you or pays a sum you didn’t ask for, I think the scam works by them asking for a refund of the difference and then their original payment doesn’t clear. You can check by asking for an e-transfer, waiting till the funds are in your account and then going from there but my guess is that they will have some excuse as to why they can’t do that.

I had a person say they were on an oil rig and can we do all this remotely so I told them I was on the oil rig next to them and they could just row across.

Sometimes that’s the case. Other times they offer to let you keep the difference as incentive to close the deal. Then transfer comes in and you ship item/perform service. A week or so later PayPal or your bank will advice it was a fraudulent transfer and they are reversing the deposit.

Sometimes that’s the case. Other times they offer to let you keep the difference as incentive to close the deal. Then transfer comes in and you ship item/perform service. A week or so later PayPal or your bank will advice it was a fraudulent transfer and they are reversing the deposit.
This is always how it goes.

‘I’m willing to pay you X over asking for your help in completing this transaction in a timely manner.’

You deposit the funds, then they ask for a difference, and then claim the entire transaction was fraudulent so their bank / PayPay refunds the money and pulls it from your account.

You dodged a bullet @sburns.

Did I dodge a bullet?
What usually happens with this type of fraud:
1) Fraudster sends you a forged cheque as a deposit, say $300, and books your service.
2) Shortly thereafter the fraudster cancels the service stating some emergency. They ask for a refund by e-transfer or Western Union, the cancel request goes like this... "Sorry, an emergency [mother had heart attack] so I can't get back to town for a while, I need to cancel. I feel bad about this, just send me $200 back. I really need the funds immediately to buy a bus ticket to Halifax -- my mom needs me. Keep the balance for your trouble, I'll stay on the line to confirm the refund".
3) The victim says OK, and sends back $200.
4) 2 days later the bank bounces the forged cheque and takes $300 from your account. After the dust settles you are out the $200 sent to the fraudster.

This is a common scam, as a banker I saw it regularly -- but usually, for a lot more, $1,500 was common. Variations are done by phone, by strangers approaching you at a bank machine.

Thanks all for the input. I thought it was one of those switcheroo types, they really are getting sophisticated.

Sometimes I like to just play along to see how far things will go (at their end). I sometimes take those calls from CRA Indian call centres just to push their buttons. :ROFLMAO:

The scams are getting very sophisticated and harder to spot . Praying on the elderly is big business .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Are E-Transfers safe? Was just talking about this today and some were saying an E Transfer was rock solid. But is it really?

Oh and yes absolutely dodged a bullet.

Are E-Transfers safe? Was just talking about this today and some were saying an E Transfer was rock solid. But is it really?

Safer than most! As far as I know they can’t be reversed easily if at all.

Safer than most! As far as I know they can’t be reversed easily if at all.
Based on news investigations, it seems like if jc100 wants a transfer reversed there is a snowballs chance in hell. The banks on the other hand can and have reversed them if it is their money on the line or if the media fallout is getting too big.

What I’ve heard is there is not necessarily a reversal from the sender., but the bank will claim it’s a fraudulent transaction and debit back.

What I’ve heard is there is not necessarily a reversal from the sender., but the bank will claim it’s a fraudulent transaction and debit back.
I have tried and the bank will never debit back in my experience once it is gone it is gone. Had someone on Kijji scam me for a deposit on a dirt bike last year police don't care neither does the bank, even though they have the scammers email and bank details.

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. It’s not the sender pushing for a reversal, the bank is making the decision (what situation, who knows)

Do you all get those random text messages? I get either "hello", or pretending to reach out to a long time friend, or ya the money thing saying they just sent me money.
I guess since a lot of these robot calls have been clamped down on, this is the next attempt.
I really do wish sometimes I could play along for fun, but it's too directly connected.

Credit cards are the safest way to conduct any transaction as you have a chargeback option and most come with fraud protection.

E-transfers are the safest way to conduct a cash-like transaction.

Based on news investigations, it seems like if jc100 wants a transfer reversed there is a snowballs chance in hell. The banks on the other hand can and have reversed them if it is their money on the line or if the media fallout is getting too big.
Banks can't reverse a completed Interac e-transfer -- if it's not been completed they can roll it back for you (so can the sender).

Once it's accepted and deposited, there is no way to reverse the transaction.

On rare occasions, a bank might eat the cost they made an error, had some type of system failure, and in very rare circumstances if fraud is associated with a transaction.

No, they can't do that with an etransfer once it's completed.

Interac etransfer transactions are treated the same as cash transactions. Imagine the bank's response if you request your cash rbe returned because mailed it to a fraudster through Canada Post.

Back
Top Bottom