Inflation | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inflation

But if you take it now...does the 28k/year go up to 49k/year once you hit your 85 factor?

I actually need to call OMERS and see what's the situation with my current salary and when I can retire, take my pension, and enjoy some semblance of retirement.
The clock stops ticking once you retire. Her 28 probably is indexed so it will increase a little but only a few percent a year. There is probably a bridge until OAS/CPP kick in but that's not going to be a fortune and she will get it in either case until 65 (I am assuming OTPP has a bridge).

Depends on how you invest and how long you live

Sent from the future
But you are presumably spending that money to live not investing it. Also I am assuming an indexed pension so double the starting point equals double the adjustment every year so the gap widens. Now, 25K pension could be enough if she has a warchest kicking out money. The pension pays the house and the warchest pays for fun.

@mimico_polak no it does not...we get an annual COLA, but that's it...

@Scuba Steve I did a rough (very rough) calculation comparing the two to an age of 83 (or something like that which I think is the average life span for a female)...anyways, collecting now is something like $400,000 less overall versus waiting 6 more years...I'm not a great investor unfortunately :(

another option is to go half time for the next few years and if I remember correctly, my pension goes down to $43,000/yr

@mimico_polak no it does not...we get an annual COLA, but that's it...

@Scuba Steve I did a rough (very rough) calculation comparing the two to an age of 83 (or something like that which I think is the average life span for a female)...anyways, collecting now is something like $400,000 less overall versus waiting 6 more years...I'm not a great investor unfortunately :(

another option is to go half time for the next few years and if I remember correctly, my pension goes down to $43,000/yr
There is another option too. Work full time for less years but pretend you are on pension income. That increases your pension and builds the warchest. In rough numbers, it probably looks something like 35K to spend and 35K saved for each of the next four years. Now you have 140k in the warchest (plus whatever growth you got). Say you bought enbridge (as an example, not necessarily a recommendation), 140k kicks out 9K in dividends. You are used to living on 35k (after tax) income and retire with something like 40k+9K before tax income (more than 35K after tax).

EDIT:
If you don't need the dividends in a year, reinvest them to grow the warchest (this would happen within the four years so you would have more than 140k when you started the withdrawals). There are plusses and minuses to warchest vs pension (husband probably gets 2/3 of pension but kids get nothing, warchest gets transferred to husband and/or kids).

If you have TFSA room use that as growth and income will be tax free.

Last edited:
Not much bests a pension plan. Once you stop work there is no work wardrobe , commute, lunch expense so for some that helps . And your reduced income means a reduced taxation rate so your keeping more of what you get? In theory . My wife is pulling the plug early , the extra money would only be spent on therapy to keep her at work

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My mom , and her mom went a different way about getting us kids to invest for the future . When we were 5 and had collected enough birthday /Christmas / whatever money , mom bought GICs , later when we knew what money was , you got half Christmas cash and balance was invested. Once my kids were old enough to have TFSA and RRSP , we transferred RESPs leftovers into rrsps for them and I would use the gaps once my rrsps maxed out to invest in thiers , I got the refund cheque and we avoided taxes . There was no convincing required with the kids , grandparents opened bank accounts for them before they could sign a form and the have been “investing” for retirement from the beginning. Different families approach savings from different angles , this has been ours for 4-5 generations.

Not much bests a pension plan. Once you stop work there is no work wardrobe , commute, lunch expense so for some that helps . And your reduced income means a reduced taxation rate so your keeping more of what you get? In theory . My wife is pulling the plug early , the extra money would only be spent on therapy to keep her at work

I'll add, you're also not saving for retirement any more.

A greenhouse company near leamington has gone bankrupt. Hundreds of jobs probably gone. Industry spokesman says inflation has hurt the industry. Gfy. inflation is the new covid. A buzzword tossed out to justify anything. Inflation had very little to do with liabilities being 52x assets.

Documents made public through Ernst and Young, serving as insolvency trustee, show the company owing a total $187,889,241.97 in liabilities to 300 different creditors — with only $3,580,233 in assets.

Not much bests a pension plan. Once you stop work there is no work wardrobe , commute, lunch expense so for some that helps . And your reduced income means a reduced taxation rate so your keeping more of what you get?

Also, if you have dividend income, the dividend tax credit is huge.

Your first $100K is basically tax-free per couple.

Need to look at this more closely soon.

Some more information:

The numbers are a few years old, so the tax credits are probably higher this year for bigger savings. Make sure your dividend stocks are split equally between you and your spouse and the paper trail is all in order. Best to get all this done before you pull the trigger on retirement. Shuffling stocks around after the fact is a sure-fire signal for audit.

Some more information:

The numbers are a few years old, so the tax credits are probably higher this year for bigger savings. Make sure your dividend stocks are split equally between you and your spouse and the paper trail is all in order. Best to get all this done before you pull the trigger on retirement. Shuffling stocks around after the fact is a sure-fire signal for audit.
It's all in my name or my holding company. Not sure how to change that.

Sent from the future

Depending on how long your runway is to retirement, you can slowly transfer some of your assets to your wife's name each year, so you can plan out how to minimize capital gains in the process.

Now might be a good time to do the bulk of the transfer if you're anywhere in the red, that way you can claim capital losses in the process.

Sent from the future
Are your wife and kids part of the holding Corp? May be able to transfer her some that way (not the kids yet, they need to be older).

Edit:

Can a holding Corp invest in bikes? A super leggerra in the garage and accompanying capital loss would be an awesome combination. Holding corp could build secure storage to protect its assets too. Just be careful not tonscrew up principal residence capital gain exemption.

Last edited:

Sent from the future
Add your wife to your holding company. Thats what I did. If over 65, then income split.

Depending on how long your runway is to retirement, you can slowly transfer some of your assets to your wife's name each year, so you can plan out how to minimize capital gains in the process.

Now might be a good time to do the bulk of the transfer if you're anywhere in the red, that way you can claim capital losses in the process.
Nope no red and even if I gift her money I am still liable for the tax if she buys shares or gets dividends I believe.

Sent from the future

Are your wife and kids part of the holding Corp? May be able to transfer her some that way (not the kids yet, they need to be older).

Edit:

Can a holding Corp invest in bikes? A super leggerra in the garage and accompanying capital loss would be an awesome combination.
Depends. Bikes or cars would have to some possibly of appreciation. Rare, limited, etc. Your use would have to be limited as well. No daily drivers. maybe 1000kms a year. Honda Civic wont cut it.

Back
Top Bottom