Incident on 403 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Incident on 403

Ugh....just looked again on the video. Yes the other car hit the piece first, but you also sped up from about 113 -> 120kph right before hitting it, in a 100kph zone.

Not sure I would show that to the insurance company personally, unless you can scrub the speed data off the video (and remove it from here)...but maybe I'm paranoid.

In all honesty, we are all guessing as to it being stationary or moving slightly and the only person that can answer that is your adjustor. You have the video, you can show it to them.

They can, and very well may, say that you didn't take any evasive action at all and just hit it as that's how it looks in the video.

But in the end, the ONLY entity that can decide how to treat this is your insurance.

Yesterday, my mom somehow hit a curb on her way to church...she blew out the front steering wheel airbag, and her side curtain airbag...minimal damage under the car from what I saw.

I'm waiting to see if the insurance writes off her Qashqai or not. It appears to be some trim, wheel fender black piece, valence underneath, and some scratches.

But the steering wheel and upper lining trim blew out with 2 airbags activated. Dad was able to drive home as it was 100m, but they called insurance so now it's all in the hands of the adjusters.
Be wary of this.
If you involve insurance, even if you decide not to claim, they will mark it down as an at fault collision.

@mimico_polak , I hope your mother is ok.

This may be a silly question but I’ll regret if I don’t ask - Once I call insurance, they send an adjuster, and then it’s deduced even after the footage, that I am at fault, can I at that point choose not to go ahead and file a claim. Will that affect insurance?
Thanks. She's fine outside of shock and a small elbow pain when she hit the door. Honestly I still don't know how she did it, and I went yesterday and took pics of both the car (3 airbags) and the curb she hit...she said it was walking speed but I feel it wasn't, but that's not on me to decide.

I'd post pics, but I'd rather not due to identifying marks in the photos. Interior is clean (no airbag dust), just blown out airbags in the wheel and 2 curtain bags on the driver's side.

Not sure if they'll write it off or not. My mom is literally 'grandma that drives to church and back' so we've already bought one car from them, and I wouldn't mind buying this one also when the time came.

Ah well. Back to your thread / issue.

Ugh....just looked again on the video. Yes the other car hit the piece first, but you also sped up from about 113 -> 120kph right before hitting it, in a 100kph zone.

Not sure I would show that to the insurance company personally, unless you can scrub the speed data off the video (and remove it from here)...but maybe I'm paranoid.
Thought so too. That settles it then.

I will update this post with the estimate.

Be wary of this.
If you involve insurance, even if you decide not to claim, they will mark it down as an at fault collision.
True. Even if you don't follow through, they can count it regardless of who pays.

I asked about 'what happens if my windshield is cracked', meanwhile both of my cars had cracked windshields from debris off trucks on the road. I just paid cash for it, cheaper than the deductible.

Be wary of this.

This is the way I understand it as well. The insurers increase your rates based on the incident, not the payout. Once you admit to having an at-fault accident, it is considered a claim, whether they pay anything or not.

This and some other articles I found indicate it's possible to cancel a claim under certain situations and not have your rates increase. Might be referring to not-at fault claims, but bottom line is contact your broker/agent and not the insurer directly to inquire.

I haven't looked at the video, just skimmed through the discussion. I would avoid calling insurance, even just to discuss with them.
I doubt it will go very well if you do, either just talking with them or reporting it.
Sure the repair will be fixed, but your driving record and costs will go up.

Insurance I believe should be used when there is something major you cannot handle yourself. Like if someone is injured, car is a wreak.

Either way, good everyone is ok, car isn't a total wreak, sucks having to deal with a situation which was no fault of your own. Bad set of circumstances.

Good shops will usually make up the color from a color code based on the VIN number. Especially if its a recent/common car.
Did they do this with yours?

Also once the color is made up they should paint a small sample card and compare against your car and adjust accordingly if needed.
Yes, they used the VIN and made the batch but apparently they didn't know that a base coat is needed before painting - if I recall correctly, the base coat is supposed to be black.

You can see in the image below that the bumper cover is not the same colour as the rest of the body. The shop corrected the paint and now it's indistinguishable but at the time it wasn't much fun.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk

I remember my mom's old white 2012 Rogue (one we bought) had a damaged bumper that was repainted by a 'reputable' shop near Kipling / Dundas (lots of them there).

'This colour is different from the rest of the body'
'No it's not, it's the same'
'It's literally matte where the rest of the body is shiny, how can you not see it?'
'Well what do you want to do?'
'I'm sure as **** not paying you for this unless you repaint it properly'
'I'm not going to repaint it'
'So I'm not going to pay for it'
'Ok'
'Ok'

Free bumper painting and you can only see it in the sun, thankfully the clouds cleared just as I went to pick up the car.

Second body shop did my beautiful orange Civic Si where my dad likes to keep sharp tools in his back pocket and scratched half the car with a screw driver.

Came out 100% perfect. Literally could not tell the difference b/w original and repaint. And it had that nice metallic flake in the paint. Guy did a fantastic job.

Unless you are 110% sure you are not at fault, talking to your insurance company is worse than talking to the police. The police won't fine you every year for 6 years.

So I spoke to Fixit Auto in Milton.

Looks like the major damage was not accounted for.
The main wiring harness is damaged. It ripped. Fixit Auto does not recommend fixing it, as it may be a code and/or fire hazard.

It's ~5000$ + labor. Plus the whole cosmetic damage, the estimate of which came out to be ~$2700

I will be calling insurance, don't have any other option.

Seeing how its main wiring harness.
You you might be looking for a new car.
Or without this one for a long time

So I spoke to Fixit Auto in Milton.

Looks like the major damage was not accounted for.
The main wiring harness is damaged. It ripped. Fixit Auto does not recommend fixing it, as it may be a code and/or fire hazard.

It's ~5000$ + labor. Plus the whole cosmetic damage, the estimate of which came out to be ~$2700

I will be calling insurance, don't have any other option.
Wow….thats surprising that it ripped. Did you note any lights on the dash? I assume you were able to drive it off the highway with no issue?

I’m preparing my mom for a new car…hers is looking more likely like a scrap.

If you have accident forgiveness can that be used in this situation?
Yup. Not a bad deal for either party really. Only your current insurer acknowledges the "forgiveness" so you can't afford to transfer out. You don't have to pay extra as long as you remain with current insurer. If you use it (and I don't see a good reason not to if it's available), that starts a clock (four years maybe?) before you can use it again.

Does accident forgiveness come as a no charge option? IME it was an add on to a policy (but I have not changed policies in a while) that was just prepaying for an accident. We increase your rates now so when you have an accident your rates do not (need to) go up.

I guess if you have paid for it, use it.

Does accident forgiveness come as a no charge option? IME it was an add on to a policy (but I have not changed policies in a while) that was just prepaying for an accident. We increase your rates now so when you have an accident your rates do not (need to) go up.

I guess if you have paid for it, use it.
There's a small charge for it with TD...maybe $5/month or so. Which is useless if you leave TD...but if you stick with them, it'll be worth it.

Which reminds me I need to call CAA for insurance, buddy saved $600/year.

Back
Top Bottom