Incident on 403 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Incident on 403

FWIW, FixIt is the same company I used to do my bumper cover. Took 2 attempts to colour match. Different franchise though...just giving you a heads up.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
They the all individually run, while paying royalties to the mothership.
Each shop has different equipment. Some have old and some have new equipment.

Not being biased but I personally know the shop owner of the Milton location and know how much money has gone into that place for equipment and brand new spray booth (with bake cycle). I have been at the shop myself and have seen the process of repair. Some of it is magic if you like at the damage vs repair.

Having said that, they should all provide a lifetime warranty on the work as long as you own the car.

You can always take it up with head office should there be an issue. But of course it is best to reach out to the shop where the repair took place.

Wow….thats surprising that it ripped. Did you note any lights on the dash? I assume you were able to drive it off the highway with no issue?

I’m preparing my mom for a new car…hers is looking more likely like a scrap.
Yes, there is an additional light on the dash:

1706565166520.png

which is funny because the headlights are fine, the fog lights are the ones that dont work

Seeing how its main wiring harness.
You you might be looking for a new car.
Or without this one for a long time
Had a guy at the old Jag dealership I worked at. He was a master at finding electrical faults, especially old jags because he was billing by the hour…

Was an interesting thing to see the entire wiring harness of an XJS V13 splayed out on the shop floor while Dave sat cross legged checking every single connection one by one.

Delete everything you posted in this thread...
get rid of the videos..
Call insurance.. something fell off, or came flying towards you from under, the vehicle in front of you.
Good point, shopping cart fell out of the scraper truck in front of you. You were too busy trying to save your lives to get a plate.

Maybe admin can delete the thread in this case?

Get a bumper that matches from a scrapyard, spend $100 on a socket set that's on sale at CanTire, borrow a soldering iron/gun from a friend, buy some shrink tubing, borrow your wife's hair dryer, buy a few cans of IPA, watch soem youtube videos, and set aside a Saturday. Total cost will be under $1000 and you'll have learned something.

I bet the damage to the harness is easily repairable but everything just gets replaced these days, add to that body guys are not electricians...
I was designing pipe tracers for the P-5 level of a high rise and mentioned to the engineer that at those depths the temperature is 50 to 70 degrees F at any time of years so why heat the pipes.

He replied that they get paid to do the designs and there is no risk responsibility for things going wrong. More money and less responsibility vs the opposite. No brainer.

Referring to the car and for the body shop is there any difference other than if they scrap the car they body shop gets nothing? No risk but also no income. The question is who takes the responsibility is something goes wrong?

Splicing wires isn't like the old days where you got those red, yellow, blue coloured ones from CTC and maybe wrapped them in PVC tape.

Today they use adhesive lined heat shrink, solder shrinks, mastics and the proper tools to get it done right. They make plastic heating cables that go in eaves troughs and they go for years without tripping GFIs. Some go inside of water pipes.

I can splice a 16 gauge copper wire and run 70 amps through it for decades, no problem. (Special wire and circumstances) However I won't accept responsibility for anything and everything that might go wrong forever.

I could get my lawyer to draw up a waiver to relieve me of responsibility. The waiver would cost $500 to produce. The research on what to put into it would cost $25,000.

From what I read, the cost of the claim has little impact on future rates and it sucks to see a serviceable vehicle get scrapped over legalese. Depending on who the OP has spoken to, that snowball may already be rolling down the hill.

If this was a $1000 DIY would you take the gamble and do you have time to source the parts?

It's a moot point if insurance has already plugged in an increase for the next six years.

Back
Top Bottom