In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

Welp, I'm convinced. With no clutch and no gears to shift, you can put incredibly high ape hangers on one!

aoetwDm.jpg

I'm still waiting for true ape-hangers, where the rider is literally hanging from the bars and kicks at special brake/shift levers.

I'm still perplexed how knuckle draggers go for the ape hangars. Talk about extremes, but I guess hand position averages out quite nicely.

scoots are fun and great around town. Would not want a 50cc tho unless you are in a downtown area where speeds are 50kph
A 125 is minimum for anywhere else. Love having both. The BWS i ride all year and for close to home. The NC is my hwy distance ride.
The scooter is also my rain bike. Wont ride the NC if there is a chance of rain. And around here at this time of year i guess i dont ride the NC much :)

Thinking about getting a 400ish in the next couple of years. My workplace is moving closer to where I live. Will be a 6 minute commute then. A scooter would be perfect imo.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Sounds like good walk. :D Bot overkill for 6 minute commute but you can certainly light tour on a 400.

There is a 200 available now.

but you can certainly light tour on a 400.

One of GTAMs favourite sons, Vlad, did the Trans Lab on Burgman 400.........

edit: my mistake, was Yamaha Majesty 400

Last edited:
Sounds like good walk. :D Bot overkill for 6 minute commute but you can certainly light tour on a 400.

There is a 200 available now.

Not sure if there is a weight limit on a 200. I'm tipping 260lbs now, and there's a few dips at Rutherford and Hwy 27.
And I doubt the wife would approve of a second bike, so it would only be the 400.
But it's still just a thought.

I did 29000kms this year on my VTX1800R. It cost me $7100 to do this, not including the bike as it is paid for. I am seriously thinking of a Burgman 650 to try to keep costs down (riding less is not an option!). I sat on one at Two Wheel Motorsports in Guelph and I was really surprised at how "un-scooterish" it felt. Would it stand up to that much riding? Any advice from Macdoc would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, John

Why walk when you can roll? :)

Fyi, when you're a fat guy like me, even when you walk, you roll.
I think that might become my new signature, "walk 'n roll".
Thanks for the link MacDoc

I did 29000kms this year on my VTX1800R. It cost me $7100 to do this, not including the bike as it is paid for. I am seriously thinking of a Burgman 650 to try to keep costs down (riding less is not an option!). I sat on one at Two Wheel Motorsports in Guelph and I was really surprised at how "un-scooterish" it felt. Would it stand up to that much riding? Any advice from Macdoc would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, John

Heh, it sounds like you ride an Excel spreadsheet too if you track the mileage:cost ratio that well! Hard to say if switching will change your budget much. Less insurance probably but the whole tires/gas/oil/brakes/valves/clutch routine is still there.

The 650 is a low motorcycle with scooter conveniences and average, non-SS streetbike manners. It's more comfortable for longer hauls than most bikes, so you might end up riding further than the VTX currently allows. If image is important (hey, we're shallow, visual animals) then don't bother with any scoot. They're all awkward looking and I'll admit I never considered them originally for that reason. They do deliver the goods though, literally sometimes. I commuted nearly every day for 6 months this year and never regretted it, even in the rain or cold. Going to upgrade to an Executive if I can manage it. Definitely want the ABS and heated grips.

The 200s have reviewed well but they're expensive new and the insurance premiums are only about 50% of what a 650 would cost (in my case). Some clean used 650s/400s sell for less than the 200s as well. That's poor value in my book.

Last edited:
Fyi, when you're a fat guy like me, even when you walk, you roll.
I think that might become my new signature, "walk 'n roll".
Thanks for the link MacDoc

LOL. I first heard that saying decades ago, some time in the 1970s in grade school. Some ****** bully was taunting a "plus size" girl at the end of a class when everyone was getting up out of their desks to go to the next class. He'd said to her "Hey <so and so>, why walk when you can just roll?" So mean (and intolerable by today's standards) but the saying stuck with me for some reason and seemed apropos vis. even covering short distances when a bike is at hand :)

[video=youtube;AJSI0FDVZxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSI0FDVZxU#t=51[/video]

I will pretty much never forgive you for that. ?

I'm drooling over the 2015 TMAX, i just wish that Yamaha canada wise up and offfer ABS. That's one reason i jumpped ship to Honda after owning three yammies.

Re: In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

The 650 is a long way from the city scoots as the motor is in the frame and the handling will surprise you.
This is the review that got me into the category..when the VRF800 rider said "if this were a race there would be no losing the Burgman 650"

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

and this was a shocker even to the very experienced rider

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/70658-high-praise-650-burgman.html

Coming from an RD400 I found he was correct - the bike will outperform most riders including me and with the Power button engaged there a few bikes that will beat you off the line.
It's the very top end 150+ that is missing and it is a gas pig at above 130 due to all that weather protection.
Limited range too ....15 litre tank.
If you cruise in the 80-110 range on secondary roads and twists it's as good as it gets for an all around machine.

Extensive high speed slab and your mileage tanks big time as does your rear tire life.

Your costs will come in tires for distance. Hit the Burgman forum for insight on that.
You may even ride more as it's an easy bike to ride for local trips or cross country.

You might want to consider a 650 VStrom - I have both and many other Burgman riders own or have owned the 650 Vstrom.
There are some advantages for distance riding...more power, more top end full sized wheels so more tire choice and lower wear over distance.

http://www.stromtrooper.com

Depends on how tall you are tho...the Wee is a tall bike.
However - tricked out it's an around the world adventure bike and it tracks as nicely off pavement as on.

It is NOT an off road bike however...but if you wanted to do Alaska for instance it's the Wee in a heartbeat over the Burgman.

Pretty machine tho don't like the windscreen.

$_20.JPG

low mileage and an Exec.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=1027639011&image=0&enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is cheap enough to get your feet wet.

$_20.JPG

Beautiful mint condition Burgman. One owner, lady driven. Always garaged and stored in heated environment. Comes with storage cover, remote alarm system with shock and tilt sensor, siren and flashes lightsCertified $3,900.00 O.B.O.Call W-905-426-5991 H- 905-983-6061

Offer $3500 ...by 2005 is still going strong with another rider ..at 30k km this 2006 is just smoothing out.

Very good all weather bikes....had mine out yesterday for a 100km ride in comfort. Shaft drive, heated grips, ABS, 110 litre storage when you have a top case ( without side bags ) power mirrors and a magic transmission that makes the bike far more fun than it has any right to be. :D

You could snag the cheapie and get your feet wet then opt for new or near new as the 2013 and up have some feature and design changes plus better mileage.

They are brutal on depreciation tho....mine was out the door for the first owner at $15k tax in with a top case.
I bought it for $7k 18 months later with zilch mileage.
These are machines for experienced riders...not noobs. That's why there are often superb deals about on near new.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom