If you could have one bike... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

If you could have one bike...

The nitrogen wouldn't be a total loss system. It would run from a precharged bottle like that used on a shock reservoir.

the Nitrogen in suspension systems eventually does need to be recharged – you will slowly loose pressure over time. Most people never end up rebuilding a shock and just swap it when it fails so most people probably are not aware. I had to have my Elka MTB shock recharged when I did a rebuild of it. In a pneumatic valve you also have to deal with oil finding its way into the system – this is why nitrogen (inert) is used instead of air in the first place (air + hot oil = fire hazard).

All MotoGP bikes do use a compressed supply of nitrogen to make up for the loss of Nitrogen in the pneumatic valves. You are never going to have a totally sealed system with something moving as fast as a valve in a sport bike engine. I doubt the technology will ever make it down to street bikes – much more likely to see camless valves first.

Valve Control 101: Pneumatics - good read. Part 1 covers conventional springs, part 2 is desmo.

We are also forgetting about advances in electronics, aerodynamics and suspension. Power is useless if the rider can't put it to the ground.

Reactions: J_F
It has to be a total loss system to work unless there is an on board scavenger tank and compressor.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

So what I think you are saying is they use 1 air spring in place of 2 coil springs or 1 spring +Desmo :cool:
but keep in mind that if the scientist could figure out a way to open up the entire top area of the combustion chamber on every stroke they would.
:/ 1 big poppet valve to do both jobs of intake and exhaust would be pure genius. or a rotary valve that does both

Last edited:
there's a lot of work being done on electric servo actuated valves
opens up endless possibilities for valve timing, lift and duration
bad deal when it fails though, ventilated piston crowns

there's a lot of work being done on electric servo actuated valves
opens up endless possibilities for valve timing, lift and duration
bad deal when it fails though, ventilated piston crowns

Yep
computer controlled electric solenoid valve train is the dream of every automotive engineer.
Lots of problems though... needs too much battery for bikes and Ford found that every time the car got into a fender bender, the car burned to the ground

Reactions: J_F
Blowing up fossil fuel is still an imperfect science,

but if you come up with something that grossly surpasses fuel burn efficiency of everything else out there right now and it rides just like a motorcycle and can be easy adapted to safe air flight, you would really have something there :unsure:

That's about like saying; they make turbine engines and electric motors now so reciprocating piston engines are obsolete.
So, you decide to put words into MY mouth and pretend like I actually said this thing?

That response was to:
All Moto GP bikes have pneumatic valves being closed with nitrogen from a refillable tank carried on board. So Desmo is no longer an advantage.
That does not prevent the potential for valve float unless the valve train force is capable of operating in both directions,
pushing the valve closed mechanically would be a Desmo design, unless you literally mean that the valves are opened by a cam :/ which only makes sense, and then literally close it with "nitrogen from a refillable tank carried on board" :cool: can't wait to see how that works.

Yep
computer controlled electric solenoid valve train is the dream of every automotive engineer.
Lots of problems though... needs too much battery for bikes and Ford found that every time the car got into a fender bender, the car burned to the ground
interesting...was Ford running high voltage actuators I wonder? or just battery voltage?

will read up on this

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That response was to:

That does not prevent the potential for valve float unless the valve train force is capable of operating in both directions,
pushing the valve closed mechanically would be a Desmo design, unless you literally mean that the valves are opened by a cam :/ which only makes sense, and then literally close it with "nitrogen from a refillable tank carried on board" :cool: can't wait to see how that works.
Pneumatic actuators close the valves cam opens them no springs or desmo. Lots of info on Google.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

That response was to:

Some people talk, just to hear themselves.

Maybe magnetizing the cam follower could be made to work too, some great ideas come about just because somebody imagined it.

Some people talk, just to hear themselves.
You got something better to talk about?

Pneumatic actuators close the valves cam opens them no springs or desmo. Lots of info on Google.
I came up with a Renault pneumatic spring system
and a Renault proposed hydraulic valve drive that does away with cams altogether.

Found this:
"Honda’s Pneumatic Valve Return System had inverted pressurized cups attached to the valve stems. The pressure came from nitrogen gas delivered at 6 – 8 bar (87 – 116 psi), equivalent to spring pressure of the replaced components. At the start of a race, the PVRS storage cylinder held approximately 150 bar (2175 psi). Replacing conventional springs reduced engine weight by 20 percent."

They made a lighter engine they didn't make the Desmo concept obsolete.

I came up with a Renault pneumatic spring system
and a Renault proposed hydraulic valve drive that does away with cams altogether.

Koenigsegg Freevalve doesn't have anything close to a cam shaft.

Neither does a rotary engine, a gas turbine or an electric motor.

Back
Top Bottom