Ideas information needed on building to building Wi-Fi extension | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ideas information needed on building to building Wi-Fi extension

GVH

As it says trying to extend Wi-Fi from one unit to another. About 30 meters kitty corner no obstructions. Currently I have a TP-link EAP225 outdoor antenna setup from the router. Then a Tp-link RE605x in the other unit going through a coated glass in the front office. Only weak intermittent signal or none at all. If I open the office door I get good signal.

looking for ideas or anyone done this.

thanks.

Can you run an underground line between the two?

No it’s an industrial complex. Each block is independent. We are in B1 and the other is D3. No connecting conduit.

We had cogeco come to setup the lines. Every conduit they tried was blocked.

Not sure if those mesh wifi system boosters would work, but 100ft is a pretty far ride for any signal.

I would consider above ground with 2 poles if it was closer, or just a separate account for the secondary property.

Along the same lines - what’s a good wifi extender to pair with a TP-Link router? We have weak signal at one end of the basement so I’d like to put an extender to combat that. Router is main level central location in house (otherwise known as the office).

Along the same lines - what’s a good wifi extender to pair with a TP-Link router? We have weak signal at one end of the basement so I’d like to put an extender to combat that. Router is main level central location in house (otherwise known as the office).

Is it a mesh router? We played with powerlines, extenders etc until we bought a mesh router with a couple of stations and now have fast internet all overvthe house. We used Orbi but there’s probably others equally as good now.

We have the Rogers mesh setup and it works good.

Parents have the Google mesh and it was great until one node stopped working. Now they replaced it with the Rogers one but these are both in the house.

I’d give the mesh system a go first. I think Rogers is $5/point/month. Cheap way to check.

The magic word in this case is "directional" - you need something with directional antennas at both ends. Consumer products are available for this and will be called things like "outdoor wireless bridge", "point to point Wifi". TP-link themselves have products for this, CPE210/CPE510/CPE710. This sort of thing is not necessarily expensive. You may need to get some PoE switches too (also not expensive)

Here is an article about a use case for the TP-link products (I am not endorsing the TP-link products specifically, this is just one of the first things to come up. I *do* endorse Arstechnica though) Point-to-point Wi-Fi bridging between buildings—the cheap and easy way

Hmm it seems like the TP-link EAP225 outdoor could be the correct product. Though it doesn't state in the spec's what the actual range could be? Also is it mounted outside?
I would mount 2 TP-link EAP225 on the outside between the 2 sites. Maybe pointing them towards each other and fiddling with the channels and power of the signal.
Remove the Tp-link RE605x and use it for something else.

If you have line of site and access to outside, there are lots of options. Here's one although it is overkill for 30m so you may be able to find a cheaper solution.

My guess is the low E coating on the window is messing with your signal.

I put a Ubiquiti U6 LR outside at home. It can sort of connect to a device 100m away obstructed but it's not great at that distance.

Actually, are you trying to connect at 5 Ghz? Try setting up a 2.4 network and see if that solves your issues. 5Ghz through a wall is pretty crap.

The magic word in this case is "directional" - you need something with directional antennas at both ends. Consumer products are available for this and will be called things like "outdoor wireless bridge", "point to point Wifi". TP-link themselves have products for this, CPE210/CPE510/CPE710. This sort of thing is not necessarily expensive. You may need to get some PoE switches too (also not expensive)

Here is an article about a use case for the TP-link products (I am not endorsing the TP-link products specifically, this is just one of the first things to come up. I *do* endorse Arstechnica though) Point-to-point Wi-Fi bridging between buildings—the cheap and easy way

I tried to buy the cpe210 today off FB used. Just missed out. The cpe210 is 2.4 only but if it works.

Is it a mesh router? We played with powerlines, extenders etc until we bought a mesh router with a couple of stations and now have fast internet all overvthe house. We used Orbi but there’s probably others equally as good now.
No not a mesh router. Just a regular dual band. I’m not tech savvy btw.

I have 4 tplink deco m5 one in the middle of the house hooked to the internet and the others at the ends of the house and one in the shed gives me good coverage everywhere and when I am in the shed working on a car or the motorcycle.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I’m totally naive when it comes to network set up but the mesh one we have was foolproof. It’s seriously worth the investment. I get a tech allowance every year from work and for my online courses I kept having drop outs in part of the house. That’s with me buying the best standard routers pretty regularly. The mesh router was the first one to be reliable and with no real drop in speeds across the house and garden.

You need an outdoor wireless bridge. Plenty on Newegg.com or amazon. $150ish.

Back
Top Bottom