I went down | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I went down

Thanks for the well wishes and advice, everyone.

Driver was charged with careless and I've been deemed 0% at fault by my insurer. Just waiting for confirmation that it's a write off.

I had a modulating light on my ninja and always tapped the brake light on the vfr coming to a stop. Guess in this case it wouldn't have mattered either way. Next bike will have every safety feature I can bolt onto it lol.

Curious about my gear. Helmet is obviously trashed but I'm not sure about the jacket and boots, can they be used again after a crash or are they a one time deal and the armour is trash?

If the boots feel fine and are not torn, they will be fine. Have a look at your back protector for obvious signs of damage. It should have uniform thickness from side to side and no obvious twists.

I've always wondered whether my money was wasted on getting this.
Good to see that it does help!

Will your insurance company be re-imbursing you for all the damaged armour / riding gear?
I did too, and I will never flinch at the cost of good gear again. Worth every damn penny. It's hard to explain how it felt, wasn't a soft pillow landing obviously but kind of like falling on dry sand. I felt it but it didn't feel like getting slammed onto the hood of a car.

I believe that they will cover the damaged gear. I mentioned it and they asked for receipts so I'll have wait for their reply, I think they might just offer a lump sum for it all.

You're absolutely right about full gear and the mitigation of injuries.
It only takes a single incident going down with insufficient protection to understand why it's so important.
The riders you see out there in t-shirts or a tank top, a pair of regular old sneakers or an open face helmet are rolling the dice in the age of infotainment/mobile distracted drivers.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I did too, and I will never flinch at the cost of good gear again. Worth every damn penny. It's hard to explain how it felt, wasn't a soft pillow landing obviously but kind of like falling on dry sand. I felt it but it didn't feel like getting slammed onto the hood of a car.

I believe that they will cover the damaged gear. I mentioned it and they asked for receipts so I'll have wait for their reply, I think they might just offer a lump sum for it all.
They will. Claim anything that got rash or hole in it. Some make you buy a new piece of gear and submit the receipt for reimbursement. Upside is sometimes you get a more expensive piece for free and/or your old one is still useable so it's win/win.

I would start at the position of all gear is being replaced on the insurance company dime. You took a solid hit, who knows if anything is crushed/broken/torn where you cant see it. If they protest, make them tell you in writing how they are going to confirm that the gear still meets the original protection spec. That should get you new gear.

They will. Claim anything that got rash or hole in it. Some make you buy a new piece of gear and submit the receipt for reimbursement. Upside is sometimes you get a more expensive piece for free and/or your old one is still useable so it's win/win.
Same happened to me. Was able to upgrade my gear when hit 14 years ago.

Glad to hear you are alright. Sucks about the bike for sure! You might also get more than you paid for your bike. Make a list of any add ons to your bike and even if they were not mentioned to your insurance company when securing your policy, they may still pay you out for them. I've had two bikes totalled by cars and both times insurance paid more than the real value of the bike.

I had an insurance company pay me almost full value of one bike despite it being 5 years old and having 90k on it. In fact they paid me enough that I was able to buy a brand new version of the same totalled bike for only $750 extra.

Great advice about writing down all the details that will come back to help you in some way a year from now. If your injuries are at all long lasting, having a binder or digital file dedicated to this event will help.

If you do feel like you have any lasting effects or injuries - especially anything that limits your ability to work then a personal injury lawyer may be of useful service. I was off work for a year and the law firm was rather helpful, both in suing the driver who hit me and also in getting my own claims adjuster to continue with my physio.

Truly hope you are able to heal quick and get back to doing the things you enjoy:)

I had an insurance company pay me almost full value of one bike despite it being 5 years old and having 90k on it. In fact they paid me enough that I was able to buy a brand new version of the same totalled bike for only $750 extra.
this happened to me. spent it on a ring and trip to africa instead.

:cool:

this happened to me. spent it on a ring and trip to africa instead.

:cool:
Haha that's awesome - good for you.

At the time I was hurt all I wanted back was my lost wages for the previous year. I went into debt a bit because the income replacement was not enough to cover my expenses at the time for the year. The law firm however was very aggressive and it was enough to help me buy a condo, which then sold to buy my house. It also helped me connect with my wife too. Strange how things work out sometimes.

Wow crazy, sorry to hear, but glad you are ok!

Where roughly did this occur is there anything troubling about this particular area or just a dumb driver?

They will. Claim anything that got rash or hole in it.

Good point.
I remember when I was at Riders Choice back in 2017 (getting new gear during the black Friday sale), there was an insurance adjuster who came instore and asked the owner (I forget his name) to pull up old records in order to cross check the amount for the gear that the clamaint stated.
Im guessing this was because the original receipts were missing on his end.
They were able to pull up those records / persons name/credit card number etc and the adjuster went on his way.

Me - I keep the receipts filed away in the basement; still its good to know that the store keeps a solid record as well.

If I were in your place, Michael, I'd claim anything that even had an unsighlty scuff on it!
Oh, do you know if they will provide a new license plate for you (assuming it was damaged/deformed)?

Reason I ask is when I got rear ended in my car, the insurance rep stated that it was still legible and as per policy it isnt required of them to be replaced.
I couldnt deal with the slight deformation and ended up spending $$ out of pocket to replace them. I think the person who rear ended me was either broke or being an a-hole as my attempt to ask them to reimburse me (out of principle) was flat out refused lol.

Oh well.

So lucky you got out of that okay. The rear-ender is the collision I fear the most. It's why I'm paranoid about stepped seats, and why I have a straight seat on my commuter. A friend of mine chipped his spine when a woman slammed into him on his CB750 back in...1981? He was stopped at a red light. Was in severe pain for months.

Any other collision you can do something about. Rear-enders are out of your control. You can wear Hi-Viz, bright stop lights, flashing lights, but in the end it's up to the people behind you. Most common of all accidents. I may consider a back protector since seeing this, though I fear being too lazy to wear it.

Glad to hear you are OK.
You also need to know to get money for replacement gear. Everything that was damaged is covered on your insurance.
Jeans or riding pants included. Every piece of equipment you were wearing should be replaced.

Also don't let them get away without a claim on physical damage to your body.
This could come back years from now and turn into something more serious.
Get money for that as well.
It's not just the bike they pay for.

I hate blikny headlights and blinky tail lights.
I will always get ahead of any Blinky tail light dude, no matter what vehicle. It just pisses me off.

I hate blikny headlights and blinky tail lights.
I will always get ahead of any Blinky tail light dude, no matter what vehicle. It just pisses me off.
Perfect. They are doing their job then. Not only did you notice them but you also took steps to get in front of them so the bike cannot be rear ended by you. Pretty much the best case scenario for the rider (assuming you pass safely).

Back
Top Bottom