I Saw You: V.2.0 | Page 478 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Saw You: V.2.0

Be nice if the government had something to show them, I dunno like an updated road sign. I haven’t looked recently but last I checked I didn’t see a motorcycle on there.
They do. There’s updated signs with motorcycles on them.

That was a horrible accident with that instructor. Remember seeing that footage. IIRC bikes weren’t allowed in HOV lanes at the time, but don’t remember timelines.

If I’m in HOV and the left lane is slow/stopped I drop my speed and then hug the left edge of the lane to give myself maximum space.

They do. There’s updated signs with motorcycles on them.

That was a horrible accident with that instructor. Remember seeing that footage. IIRC bikes weren’t allowed in HOV lanes at the time, but don’t remember timelines.

If I’m in HOV and the left lane is slow/stopped I drop my speed and then hug the left edge of the lane to give myself maximum space.
You are correct, even though she had right of way - motorcycles were not allowed at that time.

Another thing I worry about, I am amazed how many cagers dont know that the HOV lanes are open to bikers. I worry about some POS who sees me coming in his left side mirror, and thinks I'm being a dick for using those lanes, and decides to scare the crap out of me by suddenly swerving to the left a little bit.
I did QEW 5 times in the past two weeks and they got motorcycle only on the very first sign ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s not a passing lane and they were going above the limit. They were also eliminating the risk of people merging into them from the left. I have no qualms with the above situation.

Sounds similar to people raging when someone is in HOV going the limit ‘slowing’ others down. Tough cookies.

And that's why I won't use the HOV lanes at all. People treat it as if there isn't a limit in that lane.

What would happen if he had sped up to 130-140? Would people have backed off or pushed even more? If he got pulled over for it, would the police accept he was being pushed and passed by others? Doubt it...

HOV lanes and roundabouts...two great ideas that we as North Americans just can't figure out how to use.

I did QEW 5 times in the past two weeks and they got motorcycle only on the very first sign ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I see one every once in awhile (I think on the 410) but I wish every HOV sign had a motorcycle shown on it

Looks like we don’t need a special permission to ride on HOV lines.

View attachment 51110
Toronto had similar wording but bikes had to wait until the signs caught up with the law (ie. You'd get the ticket as you were contrary to the sign posted). Not sure if MTO words override what is on the signs.

Toronto had similar wording but bikes had to wait until the signs caught up with the law (ie. You'd get the ticket as you were contrary to the sign posted). Not sure if MTO words override what is on the signs.
It literally says “unrestricted” access for motorcycles 🤷‍♂️

And the Toronto HOV rules say:
The City of Toronto operates 6 High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) corridors each with dedicated lanes on one or both sides of an arterial road with use restricted to qualifying vehicles (e.g., public transit vehicles, private automobiles with a minimum number of occupants (i.e., 2 or more occupants), motorcycles and scooters plated and usually includes taxis and cyclists).
“e.g.” meaning it’s just an example of qualifying vehicles, not the definitive list of the allowed users, so signs will prevail.

And that's why I won't use the HOV lanes at all. People treat it as if there isn't a limit in that lane.

What would happen if he had sped up to 130-140? Would people have backed off or pushed even more? If he got pulled over for it, would the police accept he was being pushed and passed by others? Doubt it...

HOV lanes and roundabouts...two great ideas that we as North Americans just can't figure out how to use.

I don’t entirely disagree but if we don’t use them no one will figure it out and roundabouts at least are far better once people do figure out how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I don’t entirely disagree but if we don’t use them no one will figure it out and roundabouts at least are far better once people do figure out how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Having used the tiny roundabouts on residential streets in Burlington, I no longer have any desire to be the speed bump who helps anyone else understand how they work.

Having used the tiny roundabouts on residential streets in Burlington, I no longer have any desire to be the speed bump who helps anyone else understand how they work.
There's a bad intersection near my house that is supposed to get converted to a roundabout (currently straight through on one road and stop signs on the other). Municipality keeps pushing it. They added flashing red/yellow within the last year. Currently construction scheduled for 2024. Another crash there today. Now some people are all riled up and want street lights installed as an interim measure. I don't have the heart to tell them they are wasting their breath. Honestly, if you know you are going at a bad time, take the long way around and miss it. In the case of todays accident, if you are a local construction company pulling a long flatbed with a pickup truck, pick a route that doesn't require you to try to fit through a gap between vehicles.

There's a bad intersection near my house that is supposed to get converted to a roundabout (currently straight through on one road and stop signs on the other). Municipality keeps pushing it. They added flashing red/yellow within the last year. Currently construction scheduled for 2024. Another crash there today. Now some people are all riled up and want street lights installed as an interim measure. I don't have the heart to tell them they are wasting their breath. Honestly, if you know you are going at a bad time, take the long way around and miss it. In the case of todays accident, if you are a local construction company pulling a long flatbed with a pickup truck, pick a route that doesn't require you to try to fit through a gap between vehicles.
Here's a typical failure to understand a roundabout:

Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway

There is no mention of the Speed LIMIT in the HTA.
Then what are cops quoting on the speeding tickets???

EDIT:

PART IX
RATE OF SPEED​

Rate of speed​

128 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a rate of speed greater than,

(a) 50 kilometres per hour on a highway within a local municipality or within a built-up area;

(b) despite clause (a), 80 kilometres per hour on a highway, not within a built-up area, that is within a local municipality that had the status of a township on December 31, 2002 and, but for the enactment of the Municipal Act, 2001, would have had the status of a township on January 1, 2003, if the municipality is prescribed by regulation;

(b.1) 80 kilometres per hour on a highway not within a local municipality or within a built-up area;

(c) 80 kilometres per hour on a highway designated by the Lieutenant Governor in Council as a controlled-access highway under the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act, whether or not the highway is within a local municipality or built-up area;

(d) the rate of speed prescribed for motor vehicles on a highway in accordance with subsection (2), (5), (6), (6.1) or (7); or

(e) the maximum rate of speed set under subsection (10) and posted in a construction zone designated under subsection (8) or (8.1).

Last edited:
Then what are cops quoting on the speeding tickets???

EDIT:

PART IX​

RATE OF SPEED​

Rate of speed​

128 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a rate of speed greater than,

What I meant was, the specific HTA we were discussing regarding moving to the right doesn't mention the speed limit.
I didn't mean in the entirety of the Highway Traffic Act as a whole. 🙄 Good grief Charlie Brown.

Between the Roundabouts and the numpties holding up the left lanes, this thread is going off topic. Let's get back on track.

What I meant was, the specific HTA we were discussing regarding moving to the right doesn't mention the speed limit.
I didn't mean in the entirety of the Highway Traffic Act as a whole. 🙄 Good grief Charlie Brown.

Between the Roundabouts and the numpties holding up the left lanes, this thread is going off topic. Let's get back on track.
But that's my point - the HTA MUST be considered as a whole.

Debated posting this but wanted to put it out there how lucky the two ******** I nearly hit head on this morning are.

King rd just west of the 400, 830ish this morning a white bmw ADV bike and an older orange CBR9xx crossed the double yellow line and passed 4 vehicles as I was coming down the road. Not sure if you didn't realize how small of a gap there was, maybe just sheer arrogance or death wish but you're lucky it was another rider coming your way and noticed you and what was about to happen. I hit my brakes, hugged the shoulder and slowed to about 20 kph and you barely squeezed by.

So reckless, it's embarrassing as a rider to see that, no wonder "cagers" hate us.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you two?

Back
Top Bottom