I installed the creepy surveillance app/device to get an insurance discount | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I installed the creepy surveillance app/device to get an insurance discount

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if that was mentioned before, but I just signed up for the TD app thingie for my brand new Nissan Kicks and it quickly became apparent that it's easy to game the system.

I invariably score high (90%+) on <5kms trips and mediocre (~75%) on long trips.

You want to do short trips. It seems like you can only lose points during a trip, so the strategy is to break up your drive in multiple parts. Stop at Timmies on the way to your final destination and what would've been one 80% trip becomes two 90% trips. The same 20 points were deducted but over two trips. lol

And as far as I can tell, your average score doesn't take distance into consideration. It's [sum of scores/number of trips].
To drive or not to drive? Why this headache for saving a few dollars? We pay for our freedom. Soon, this will be also taken away. So enjoy your life without Adjusto

i completed the Ajusto program with a 95/100 score and got a 24% discount. Turns out it only applies to the base rate. I have some extras on my insurance and the discount doesn't apply to those. Overall, it looks more like around 16% off. At least the discount is permanent.
Discount is permanent? Well, in the fine print that say that the priums are subject to change at their own discretion. Thete is nothing PERMANENT in this world.

Soooo, if I don't have a cell/smart phone, (yes I'm a caveman) I can't use this and save on insurance.... mmmmm
Talk about discrimination, my feelings are hurt. I'll be over there in my safe corner. ~~~>
Good on you JD. I thought I was the only one. Just be careful broadcasting that. When I mention that my wife and I travel for a week into the states without a phone or gps guys here have called it dangerous (!?). My wife has the last word though - she calls them "pussies"

Good on you JD. I thought I was the only one. Just be careful broadcasting that. When I mention that my wife and I travel for a week into the states without a phone or gps guys here have called it dangerous (!?). My wife has the last word though - she calls them "pussies"
Soon enough your car will have all the telemetry and ability to upload built in. Many already do. I doubt any manufacturer has allowed 3rd party access to that data stream yet though.

I thought I heard a bad score could increase rates. Maybe that's just down the road a bit. I wouldn't do this even if a I had a smartphone.

I thought I heard a bad score could increase rates. Maybe that's just down the road a bit. I wouldn't do this even if a I had a smartphone.
The way they are selling it so far is your rate won't go up even if your score sucks. IIRC, you get a 10% discount just for trying. I don't doubt for a second that a flag is set in your file if you scored poorly though. Not sure if they are using the results to purge or just sitting on them for a future time where they are allowed to exploit the score.

The way they are selling it so far is your rate won't go up even if your score sucks. IIRC, you get a 10% discount just for trying. I don't doubt for a second that a flag is set in your file if you scored poorly though. Not sure if they are using the results to purge or just sitting on them for a future time where they are allowed to exploit the score.
You and I appear to have the same level of trust for insurance co's.

I have had one of those transponder things for a good while now with CAA, I generally drive pretty darn fast on the highway and get a 15% discount for being a good driver. The thing must be faulty.....

Game the system, this thing sounds easy as hell.

Turn it on, go on the highway and cruise in the right lane for 50KM - turn around, go back home and turn it off.

10 trips and you're done, BARELY any braking required to help alleviate the penalties on that - if my rates go up I may give it a shot.

It would be a ******* travesty if it actually triggered a braking to hard on my Fz07 - already don't need to use the front brake unless coming to a stop. Would be pis'd if the dumbass thing actually triggered on engine braking, ughhhh.

Last edited:
on the td app, you can remove specific entries. this could be you in an uber, public transit, passenger in someone elses vehicle etc.
the only weird thing is TD's app actually knows where you are. in comparison, the adjusto system with desjardins only knows your speed, breaking, and turning habits without actual gps.

this could be because the td setup involves a phone app, whereas the adjusto one was a device physically installed in your car.

either way, i had adjusto in my car and had something like 18% discount for years. i currently have TD insurance on my bikes (somehow they are WAY cheaper than elsewhere at least for me. i dont know why or how) and am using the Td app. so far i'm estimated to have 21% discount (only applies when you're up for renewal). i'm fine with this setup and is 100% optional.

Desjardins has a new Adjusto program, doesn't seem as good as the original, and doesn't say that you won't be increased more than the 10% your initially saved. I need to inquire again (tried to sign up for the old system, but it wouldn't recognize my account, so I couldn't be bothered) :

Are you a safe driver? Are you driving less? Good news! The new Ajusto® program takes into account your driving behaviour and habits to offer you a more personalized auto insurance premium!

When you sign up for Ajusto, you get a 10% enrolment discount on your premium for the first 6 months.

After that, you get a more personalized premium, which goes up or down depending on your driving.

We’re confident that 75% of those who sign up for the new Ajusto program will see a reduction in their premium after 180 days of driving. This could be less than or greater than their 10% enrolment discount.

Desjardins has a new Adjusto program, doesn't seem as good as the original, and doesn't say that you won't be increased more than the 10% your initially saved. I need to inquire again (tried to sign up for the old system, but it wouldn't recognize my account, so I couldn't be bothered) :

Are you a safe driver? Are you driving less? Good news! The new Ajusto® program takes into account your driving behaviour and habits to offer you a more personalized auto insurance premium!

When you sign up for Ajusto, you get a 10% enrolment discount on your premium for the first 6 months.

After that, you get a more personalized premium, which goes up or down depending on your driving.

We’re confident that 75% of those who sign up for the new Ajusto program will see a reduction in their premium after 180 days of driving. This could be less than or greater than their 10% enrolment discount.
Ouch, I see we have moved onto the inevitable phase two. Phase one collected the data and gave you a permanent discount (size depending on results, permanent until they felt like killing it). Now, right up front they are telling you this could hurt you.

Thanks but no thanks.

Intact was marketing 10% off on premiums to register for thier tracking services. Read up on it to find out how it works and deleted future marketing emails about it

I just read the reply from my Desjardins agent. So even though they switched to a phone app from OBD port device, it still only covers passenger cars and not motorcycles. It also only applies to the principal driver of a vehicle. I think I’ll still give it a try. Seems easy enough to get a good rating. These days I take the car out once every 2 weeks, so I’d probably be driving the car just for the Adjusto score.

Back
Top Bottom