Hyundai, Kia. The cars that keep on giving | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hyundai, Kia. The cars that keep on giving

Interesting read! I bought a 2011 forte primarily for the fuel efficiency. It was much better then the charger i had to lug around to work and back which is about 150 a day. Unfortunately my model does not seem to come up. Which is too bad because i have always said i never felt like the gas mileage was too crazy, nothing like what they said. But im sure when they test it they have perfect conditions, prem. fuel, and id assume an 80 year old lady driving it!

http://business.financialpost.com/2...redit-cards-to-compensate-canadian-customers/

"But the issue didn’t arise out of thin air. Hyundai is already the subject of a false-advertising suit launched by Consumer Watchdog, a non-profit consumer group based in Santa Monica, Calif., for its claims that the Elantra achieved 40 miles to the gallon. The automaker had previously denied it exaggerated its mileage claims, the group said."

You would think they would have reevaluated their testing in the face of a lawsuit and present it to a judge to confirm their mileage claims, but it took an EPA audit to show that their claims were exaggerated.

Hyundai pres says "it was an honest mistake". Uh huh.

:laughing3:

Friend of mine gets his Elantra tomorrow. Says he will be getting gas cards for 2 years saving him about $8 a month.

Friend of mine gets his Elantra tomorrow. Says he will be getting gas cards for 2 years saving him about $8 a month.
Wouldn't he have had to own one for two years to get this payment for 2 years worth of gas cards? Or am I missing something?

I'll give some calls around and see how that goes. Post here if u got compensated

Manufacturers consumption claims are ********* to begin with. They should all be paying us credits because I doubt there's a single car out there which actually lived up to the rated mileage.

Consider that the tests are conducted on rollers, using test mules, I can't say that Im surprised.

Manufacturers consumption claims are ********* to begin with. They should all be paying us credits because I doubt there's a single car out there which actually lived up to the rated mileage.

Consider that the tests are conducted on rollers, using test mules, I can't say that Im surprised.

Very true. Compare any manufacturer claims to reality on fuelly.com -- all the manufacturers lie.

When I went to check out the Subaru Crosstrek, they claimed something like 8l / 100km, but I very highly doubt that -- not with a car that size and awd.

Yeah, gotta hate them controlled testing conditions. Durn scientizts always up to no gud.

Very true. Compare any manufacturer claims to reality on fuelly.com -- all the manufacturers lie.

When I went to check out the Subaru Crosstrek, they claimed something like 8l / 100km, but I very highly doubt that -- not with a car that size and awd.

Wait, fuelly.com is a source of reliable fuel consumption info?

Wait, fuelly.com is a source of reliable fuel consumption info?

I've found it to be much more reliable than what the manufacturers claim, because as long as people are entering their real numbers then it should be representative of real world use of a vehicle. Sure you may get a few idiots on there who put wrong information, but averaged out the crap won't do much to skew the real information.

Yeah, gotta hate them controlled testing conditions. Durn scientizts always up to no gud.

What use is knowing the fuel consumption of a car in controlled testing conditions? Is your driving going to be on rollers or is it going to be on the street with friction, wind resistance, and stop and go traffic?

Also, the people getting these numbers are not scientists. They are mechanical engineers. Huge difference.

Last edited:
What use is knowing the fuel consumption of a car in controlled testing conditions? Is your driving going to be on rollers or is it going to be on the street with friction, wind resistance, and stop and go traffic?

It's useful for making an accurate comparison from one car to the next. You know, if one day someone ever wants to shop for a car for example.

OTOH, tell me what's the use of knowing the exact "real world" fuel consumption, when you don't know exactly how much you will drive, or exactly in which environment, or exactly how much fuel will cost?

Back
Top Bottom