How to Order and Pick-Up Motorcycle Gear from the US | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to Order and Pick-Up Motorcycle Gear from the US

UltrA_09

Site Supporter
A friend of mine had asked me about the necessary steps for purchasing and picking up motorcycle gear (anything for that matter) from the US, and so I wrote him a "How-To" that I thought I'd share with you all. If I had known all the information that I know now about purchasing gear from the US, back when I just became a motorcyclist, I could have saved a lot of money; so by posting this I hope it helps at least one of you save some money.

*Just to note, there are many ways to do this kind of thing, however this "How-To" is written based on my personal experiences. I've gone to buffalo over a dozen times now, and not once did I have any issues. It’s very simple as long as you have everything you need and follow the necessary steps*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Order all your packages online from all the various retailers and have them all shipped to CBI where your packages will be held (others also recommend U.S.Address, though I have never personally used them. CBI charges $6 per package, whereas U.S.Address charges $5 per package; however CBI holds your packages indefinitely without any additional charge, while U.S.Address charges an additional $2/week after the first week if the packages are not picked up).

'CBI USA' Address: 1711 Cudaback Ave, Niagara Falls, NY 14303.
'U.S.Address' Address: 3909 Witmer Road, Niagara Falls, NY 14305.

Be sure to specify the above as your shipping address from wherever you purchase your items. Your packages would naturally have your name on them, so there's no worries of having them go missing. CBI will accept all your packages upon arrival on your behalf.

Step 2: Call CBI (716 282 7447) to confirm that all your packages have arrived. Just provide them your name and they will be able check it on their system. I suggest that you have everything you want to buy from the states shipped to CBI at one time, then go there and pick up all your packages with one go. Remember that CBI does not charge you any additional 'late' fees, so your packages will be held for as long as you leave them.

Step 3: Once all your packages have arrived, you will now drive down to CBI to pick them up. You will need 3 important things:
-Your Canadian Passport
-Your Receipts for all the items you're picking up (in order to pay taxes when re-entering Canada)
-$5 cash (actually $3.25) to pay toll when crossing the bridge to re-enter Canada (they do not take Debit/Visa)

I found that the best time to go to Niagara Falls is early Saturday mornings (CBI opens at 8:00am). I've actually managed to go to CBI and back home by 10:00am!

At the border, all you'll need is your passport when entering the US. When they ask why you're crossing into the states, be honest and tell them you're going to a shipping depot in order to pick up some motorcycle gear. After you're through, it’s a 5 minute drive to CBI to pick up your packages. It should take no more than 5-10 minutes in order for them to locate and give you your packages.

Step 4: Once everything is picked up and in your vehicle, it's time to drive back. On the way back over the bridge you'll have to stop at a tollbooth and pay them the $3.25 in cash, then continue towards the border. When at the border, they'll ask where you were and whether you're bringing anything back with you; this is when you'll tell them your bringing back motorcycle gear and the total dollar value of all your items. If the total is greater than $100, they'll (usually) hand you a yellow slip and tell you to park the car and head into the building to pay your taxes, where you will simply do just that. Once the taxes are paid, you're pretty much done; time to head back home!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This whole process can save you a great deal of money. Purchasing items using the American US-listed prices, as well as the savings on shipping & handling (usually free within the US), it largely outweighs the fuel/CBI costs, time spent, and hassle of having to go down to buffalo to pick up your items. The more items your order, the more you'll save as it will only cost you fuel/time-spent once.

There may be those who will probably try and flame me by saying I'm not supporting the Canadian economy by purchasing all my gear from the states, but when the Canadian price is drastically more expensive than having everything shipped and picked up at Buffalo, it’s ridiculous to think that I would voluntarily pay more for the same product; it makes absolutely no sense.

I hope this was clear and helpful. If there are any questions, feel free to post them; I'll try my best to answer them.

TL;DR:
Purchase everything online from various retailers and have all packages shipped to CBIUSA.
Call in to confirm packages have arrived.
Drive down to CBI with your passport and receipts and pick up your packages ($6/package).
Drive back to the border, paying the toll on the way. Show your receipts at the border and pay your taxes.
Drive back home.

Last edited:
Nice, thank you!

US ADDRESS Inc has never charged me a storage fee...i've had packages waiting there for a 3-4 weeks one time.

US ADDRESS Inc has never charged me a storage fee...i've had packages waiting there for a 3-4 weeks one time.

they DO charge a storage fee for items tbat have been there over "X" days, however, if the counter person does not look at the date, or otherwise waives the fee, you are not charged for it.

toll is 3.25 at the bridge in lewiston

you are allowed to bring back $50 in goods, not 100, but you can generally get away with 100 wihtout paying duty. there have been times i've declared $300 and not paid, othertime ive been dinged for $70

also, why the $#^* does someone require a quide for something this simple.

whats next, how to @#%^&* fill your gas tank???? wait, never mind, its been done.

they DO charge a storage fee for items tbat have been there over "X" days, however, if the counter person does not look at the date, or otherwise waives the fee, you are not charged for it.

you are allowed to bring back $50 in goods, not 100, but you can generally get away with 100 wihtout paying duty. there have been times i've declared $300 and not paid, othertime ive been dinged for $70

whats next, how to @#%^&* fill your gas tank???? wait, never mind, its been done.

They DID NOT charge me a storage fee.......

They might have a policy to charge storage fee..but that does not mean that they stick to it

They might have a policy to charge storage fee..but that does not mean that they stick to it

holy hell man, read the damn post before responding.

i said
if the counter person does not look at the date, or otherwise waives the fee, you are not charged for it.

get it?

​holy $#^(

Fixed, thanks.

With my personal experience, the one time I declared about $100 they didn't ask me to pay my taxes, though every other time when I declared $500+ worth of goods, they did. It's mostly the luck of the draw, but when declaring anything over $500, you'll have to pay your taxes more often than not.

Some people just don't realize how easy it really is, and how much it can save! After all, I had no idea until I read about it and gave it a try...

They may not have charged you, but that is their policy. Additional $2/week charge, after the first week (free of charge).

Thanks for the info, OP! I wish I had read this thread last week I ordered a contour gps to get sent to my in laws in cali, could have saved myself an akward conversation ;P

Nicely written and needed post.

+1 for CBI, customer service is great, you get free coffee and internet access with a printer
A lot of folks do their regular and holiday shopping through CBI and they accept whatever fits through the loading dock.

* don't forget to gas up priory to crossing back :)

Toll is also $3.25 at the Rainbow Bridge.

I've declared $750 worth of motorcycle gear once and the customs agent rides too, so he let me go :D

I've declared $750 worth of motorcycle gear once and the customs agent rides too, so he let me go :D

289383,xcitefun-239402-xcitefun-1.jpg

nah, good deal.

I will actually be heading to CBI Friday morning (by car) so if anyone located in Mississauga has any packages waiting for them at CBI that need to be picked up, feel free to send me a PM.

I will actually be heading to CBI Friday morning (by car) so if anyone located in Mississauga has any packages waiting for them at CBI that need to be picked up, feel free to send me a PM.

Awh man, you are everything that is right with GTAM. XOXOXOXOXO

If this is the best you have to offer I suggest you stick your head back up your arse and shut up. Thanks to the OP for this useful info

I order stuff from the States all the time and have it delivered direct to my door. I ensure it is sent USPS and shipping and taxes are never a big cost. Certainly cheaper than buying in a store.

For those not in the GTA you can get the UPS store in Ogdensburg just at the end of the 416 to hold packages for you for $5 per week. All info is on their website for Canadian customers. They will also accept freight for a fee per day but I haven't asked if they would accept a crated motorcycle for example. You can check delivery status for your packages online.

Another tip too...some groceries are cheaper in the US and if you shop at PriceChopper in the US you can apply for a card that gets you money off gas when you buy groceries, we did this last time then went to fill up and were paying around a $1 per litre for gas or slightly less I believe, and this was when gas here was at $1.30.

Extra bonus in Ogdensburg is watching parking lots get filled with Amish buggies pulled by horses. They might be menonites....I have no idea how to tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom