How many kilometers do you put on your motorcycle(s)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many kilometers do you put on your motorcycle(s)?

Your annual kilometer per year on your motorcycle(s)

• 1,000km ~ 3,000km

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 3,000km ~ 8,000km

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • 8,000km ~ 15,000km

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • 15,000km ~ 25,000km

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • 25,000km +

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

jemlinus

Also, who has the highest kilometers on the motorcycle?

I put about 30,000km per year since I use my motorcycle for everything if possible. Also living a MGTOW lifestyle, I rarely need to carry passengers so I rarely drive my cars.

Yes, I'm in love with two-wheeled vehicles(bicycles and motorcycles).

I get a new bike every other year, but was wondering if I can keep riding until they crapout, how long will it last? I have had some Hyundai and Toyota cars that last me more than 500,000km, but I have never kept a motorcycle longer than 3 years so I wonder.

Reactions: J_F
I've gone past 100,000 km on three sport bikes, including one currently owned. All three were/are Kawasaki.

V-Tom on this site put over 200,000 on a V-Strom before retiring it, and I think its replacement is getting up there.

Touring riders would scoff at such low mileage, but any engine and transmission ought to last a long time trundling along at a fraction of rated power output for hours at a time.

I know someone who has over 500,000 km on an early-eighties BMW.

Occasional unscheduled maintenance - breaking and fixing stuff - is to be expected at higher mileage. Been there, done that.

Not sure the last time V-Tom updated his signature, but he's currently sporting this:
"2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 170,000+ km, 107,000+ miles "

Head over to ADVRider and you'll find plenty of bikes with 6 digit miles (not kms). I think someone is reporting over 300,000 miles on their CBR600.

Last edited:
UJM's I figure are good for 200,000 before anything serious pops up
following a decent maintenance regimen of course

due to work schedule (away from home)
I'm about ~10,000 year, wish it were more
usually half of that is one extended trip/year

I've tended tended to sell them after 3 years
because I'm looking for a change
and because resale drops off steeply beyond 30,000 km

have hopefully a year or so until I can slow down and ride more
at that point will be looking for the keep it forever bike

No idea how many k, not near enough for the insurance I pay,
and no idea how many crashes, lost count long ago.

Old motorcycles are like soldiers they never die they just fade away.

Not enough.

Old motorcycles are like soldiers they never die they just fade away.

My daily driver 1993 900SS Ducati just got it's 50,000 MILE oil change. It does the occasional track day.
My '78 GS1000 had about 55,000KM on it when I took the speedo off it. It does the occasional track day.
My 1956 Norton Dommi 99 has about 15,000 miles. It just sits in the corner looking pretty.

....but for you guys that are saying a modern bike can go 100,000 km with no ill effects; YOU"RE DREAMING. Try pulling the head off and measuring the ring gap, or measure the oil clearance on the mains.
It is a man made machine. It wears.

I put about 6000km on mine last year, and about 10000km on my car. I don't go very far. This year I've done about 3000km on my bike, but I'm using it to go a gym that isn't just down the road like last year.

My daily driver 1993 900SS Ducati just got it's 50,000 MILE oil change. It does the occasional track day.
My '78 GS1000 had about 55,000KM on it when I took the speedo off it. It does the occasional track day.
My 1956 Norton Dommi 99 has about 15,000 miles. It just sits in the corner looking pretty.

....but for you guys that are saying a modern bike can go 100,000 km with no ill effects; YOU"RE DREAMING. Try pulling the head off and measuring the ring gap, or measure the oil clearance on the mains.
It is a man made machine. It wears.
Nobody is claiming a bike with 6 digit mileage will be as fresh as the day it was bought, but if you think 100,000+ kms on a modern bike with just regular maintenance is unachievable, "YOU'RE DREAMING". All the bikes you listed are from a different era. I would say a modern bike is nearly as reliable as a modern car. Perhaps a bit higher maintenance schedule than a car, but easily reliable for 6 digit mileage.

To me 5000 KM of twisty/scenic roads > 50000 KM of long straight highways.
Those guys out in Cali have it good, lane splitting, canyon roads, and riding weather year round.

Used to be around 7-10k/year when I first started. Good times.

Last year...500km with 450km of those on a buddy's bike. This year...lucky if I hit 1000km with working out of province and 2 kids in the house.

Might be time to sell again...ugh.

I average 10,000km+/season. That's over more than 40 years of riding - 400,000+ km! I switched bikes every 2 years except for my current Superglide Custom, which I'm on my 4th season - I love that bike and I'll hang on to it as long as possible. it's at 52000 km. Gas, tires, oil & GO!

Since I bought my Mustang last year, I've been hopping into the car, rather than onto the bike. It's almost as much fun, but far more practical!

Also, who has the highest kilometers on the motorcycle?

I put about 30,000km per year since I use my motorcycle for everything if possible. Also living a MGTOW lifestyle, I rarely need to carry passengers so I rarely drive my cars.

Yes, I'm in love with two-wheeled vehicles(bicycles and motorcycles).

I get a new bike every other year, but was wondering if I can keep riding until they crapout, how long will it last? I have had some Hyundai and Toyota cars that last me more than 500,000km, but I have never kept a motorcycle longer than 3 years so I wonder.

what the heck is MGTOW lifestyle?

Men Going Their Own Way.

Im averaging 10,000k a year. 100,000k on my last bike, and it still runs well. Keep on top of valve adjustments, and just regular maintenance.

@mimico_polak, find the time to ride. I have my second kid on the way. I might ride much less, but I'll still ride.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

About 30K per year for me, I have to leave a tender on my car and truck over the summer as they are rarely used.

As for mileage, I rode an 82 CBR750 to 220k and sold it in great running order. My FJR is at 140K and still runs like new -- never had a wrench on the driveline for anything other than valve checks, spark plugs and oil changes. One of my co-riders has nearly 200K on a ST1300 - he tells me it's just broken in -- I've met ST1300 riders running strong with over 500,000km on the original mill.

My strom bought in 2012 is around 150k right now. Still runs like a champ, but looks like a chump.
Last year I worked so much and had to store my bike basically by September due to house projects, so don't think I even did 10k.
I figure this year will be back to normal of around 30k. One road trip down south can be 10k right there.

My Harley Davidson Road Glide averaged just over 30,000 in three summers.
But I’ve already hit 5000km on my KTM adventure this year. Though I did ride 2000km over the late fall and winter months.

Back
Top Bottom