How many kilometers do you put on your motorcycle(s)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many kilometers do you put on your motorcycle(s)?

Your annual kilometer per year on your motorcycle(s)

• 1,000km ~ 3,000km

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 3,000km ~ 8,000km

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • 8,000km ~ 15,000km

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • 15,000km ~ 25,000km

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • 25,000km +

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters
I average somewhere around 15-20k km/year. Last bike mileage before being sold is in my sig, I think the Tenere is up to 50k km.

Wouldn't hesitate to take a Japanese bike to 100k km and beyond, but always be aware the higher the mileage, the bigger the list of maintenance/repair items gets. Nothing major, but call it death by a thousand cuts. I like my bikes to look and run as close to brand new as possible, so don't see myself going far past 100-150k km on a bike. I will say the FZ6 felt absolutely near new at 115k km when I sold it, only issue was the oil pressure light would occasionally come on for a minute or two, but it did that for 30k km before I sold it.

My KTM on the other hand leaked oil out of every single gasket at less than 30k km. It was like playing whack a mole with the oil leaks. Great bike to ride, but couldn't stand all the little issues.

For the last 2-3 years I’ve been in the 15-20K category myself. I’ll be well over 20K this summer (I’ll be just past ~6000KM this year already after getting home from the ride I’m on right now) if all our trips go off as planned.

I bought my bike a few years back at 12 years old with only 11,00KM on (Previously a garage queen owned by a Hortons Choice member) and am nearing 70,000KM on the odometer now with nothing more than oil changes and tires.

The VTX’s are known for going into the 300,000+KM club trouble free, and I may very well take it there, who knows. It owes me nothing and I’ll continue to ride it hard and put it away wet with little to worry about, much less resale value.

Last edited:
I just dropped my bike off for service yesterday and got a loaner bike. They gave me a 2010 R1200 ST with 178,000 KM's. Engine feels just as good as my old '10 GSA with far less KM then that. A few years is not going to have you run your bike into the ground.

I put on 5-8k km in Australia and normally 20k in Canada but it's been erratic with other travel and more time in Australia plus sucky weather in Canada.
I have no fear of high mileage metric bikes ...bought my last strom at 100k km and sold it for the same price two years later with 120k km ( I had two bikes on the go )
My first new bike in 50 years of riding is my current 2018 CB500x I'm current riding in BC and then home for a couple of more weeks. Perhaps my last bike but then I see some 80 year olds on two wheels....I'm 71. This will likely be a 10k km trip.

Mot as much as I used to as the new job means I take the cage more. Highest mileage is on my previous bike at 120,000km.

Might it have been a 2005-2007 R1200ST? Those are the only years they were made. I only know this because my wife is probably one of a handful of people in Toronto who ever owned one...

It was actually an R1200 RT not an ST. Nice bike though it made me appreciate my GS even more when I picked it up again yesterday. The LC engines are much more refined.

Usually 8K's - commute to work and fun on the weeked. Will check on a sport touring eventually for longer trips or adventure bike.

I think someone is reporting over 300,000 miles on their CBR600.

How?? Aren't those titanium valves good for like 50k kms before they need complete replacement? ...

.. I shouldn't be complaining though ;)

I put on about 9,000km on my 50cc scooter 2 seasons ago. This year I'm at less than 1k.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

^ QC issues since they moved assembly to India
nothing against India, it will get sorted

What's with KTM blowing gaskets? I have a friend with 390 Duke that blowing gaskets so much that he has 2 spare ones.

IIRC the only real solution is to have the head and cylinder surfaced. It's a manufacturing issue where they aren't straight and finished correctly. All the small cc KTM engines are made by another company in India and quality control wasn't the greatest on the earlier ones.

How?? Aren't those titanium valves good for like 50k kms before they need complete replacement? ...

.. I shouldn't be complaining though ;)
A bit misleading though, as apparently an accident at 177,000 miles cracked the block. He bought a donor engine and swapped 95% of his original engine parts over to the new block, and carried on. Take a look at his tear down / rebuild thread to see how the internals looked.

I have 125,000 km on my 2002 ST1100 and just returned from a 7 day trip South with a friend on his 2007 ST1300 with 190,000 km on it. Both bikes run like new and I'll be keeping mine for a while.

Among the ST1100 crowd common to see bikes with 250,000 - 300,000 km on them, max I seen was 660,000 km.

From a longevity and overall reliability perspective both the 1100 and the 1300 have great track records. FJR is up there as well.

Meh. I'm happily married; but I can see if a guy got burned in a previous serous relationship (especially multiple times), that it would be appealing to say f-it and just stay single.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
That's what my friend used to say. Until his wife divorced him and took everything from him.

Most of the mgtow guys are never been married like me. Usually have a gf that they share their life with.

Back
Top Bottom