HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone

Has anyone actually seen HOV enforcement? Markham has them, they are not enforced here. I actually asked the local YRP through their community policing request, they sent me back a letter saying they are already enforcing HOV lanes - request denied.

I have traveled those lanes every single day since they have been opened. Not once in the last 2 years have I seen enforcement, these days 9 of 10 cars using them during HOV hours has a single passenger.

Has anyone actually seen HOV enforcement? Markham has them, they are not enforced here. I actually asked the local YRP through their community policing request, they sent me back a letter saying they are already enforcing HOV lanes - request denied.

I have traveled those lanes every single day since they have been opened. Not once in the last 2 years have I seen enforcement, these days 9 of 10 cars using them during HOV hours has a single passenger.
Sure, i have an HOV infraction on my record. Got caught by OPP in the tunnel at 401/404.

This would be absolutely great for us if it goes ahead. HOV lanes are much safer for motorcycles since most collisions are rear-enders and we always come out injured from them. I agree there's not enough enforcement, but I have seen a couple of cars getting nailed on the 410 by OPP. Still, it's true that most HOV cars are single drivers breaking the law.

It's on the list for regulatory adjustment, so it will happen for this summer riding season. Thank you Ford!

Has anyone actually seen HOV enforcement? Markham has them, they are not enforced here.

I travel the 403 and see enforcement all the time.

I'm looking forward to using the HOV lanes, but a little nervous about it as well as I've seen many accidents where people pull into the HOV lane suddenly from the left lane and then clip someone going much faster in the HOV lane. These are usually nasty fender bender type accidents but consequences for a HOV rider would be much more severe.

It would make things more convenient but the sheer amount of people that cut into the HOV lane is terrifying, especially when the left lane is stopped and the HOV lane is moving at 80 km/h

I travel the 403 and see enforcement all the time.

I'm looking forward to using the HOV lanes, but a little nervous about it as well as I've seen many accidents where people pull into the HOV lane suddenly from the left lane and then clip someone going much faster in the HOV lane. These are usually nasty fender bender type accidents but consequences for a HOV rider would be much more severe.
The 403 is brutal! Every morning I see a minimum of 2 cars pulled over in HOV lane with 1 passenger between Winston Churchill and Eastgate. Never on the ride home though. On the other hand, I have yet to see a bike pulled over

This would be absolutely great for us if it goes ahead. HOV lanes are much safer for motorcycles since most collisions are rear-enders and we always come out injured from them. I agree there's not enough enforcement, but I have seen a couple of cars getting nailed on the 410 by OPP. Still, it's true that most HOV cars are single drivers breaking the law.
I think you are entirely backwards in your thinking. A rear ender at 15 km/h is annoying but very rarely fatal. I only know of one crash involving a bike in an HOV lane in Ontario and it was fatal. There is nothing more dangerous than high closing speeds.

HOV lane safety needs some type of campaign, AND for the rules to be harmonized across the province.

Educate:
Cars entering and exiting freeway HOV lanes across the solid lines
Distance you can travel in an city street HOV lane before your right turn

Harmonize:
MC cannot use 40x lanes, can use most city HOV lanes
Single passenger Green vehicles (EV's) can use 40x lanes, cannot use most city lanes
Hwy lanes have entry and exit zones, city lanes lack these

HOV lane safety needs some type of campaign, AND for the rules to be harmonized across the province.

Educate:
Distance you can travel in an city street HOV lane before your right turn

Guilty. I always moved to the HOV lane in the city about 200m before my right turn. I did not realise there's actually a rule/guide for this. Care to share a link? Thanks!

Guilty. I always moved to the HOV lane in the city about 200m before my right turn. I did not realise there's actually a rule/guide for this. Care to share a link? Thanks!
Municipal HOV lanes are different. This is also just a city ticket btw, not an HTA (insurance hit) one.

Municipal HOV lanes are different. This is also just a city ticket btw, not an HTA (insurance hit) one.

I thought any moving violation is an HTA and effects your insurance. Are you saying that if you get and HOV ticket in a car when say travelling on Don Mills there is no ticket that affects your driving record?

“I’m pretty sure … drivers would be more than happy to know that the majority of motorcycles are going to be in the far left lane, the HOV lane, as opposed to being in your blindside by accident.”

Sounds rational, but in reality most people will just be bothered by the fact that motorcyclists are getting ahead of them...

this will be great. 403 have OPP all over the place between Winston Churchill and Hurontario. They nab the HOV offenders driving into the city and the speeders heading east (hiding under the overpass)

“I’m pretty sure … drivers would be more than happy to know that the majority of motorcycles are going to be in the far left lane, the HOV lane, as opposed to being in your blindside by accident.”

This is pretty wishful thinking by the Minister. Most cage drivers in Ontario couldn't care less about our safety. I suspect a lot of them will just get ****** off at us when they see a bike in the HOV lanes. While its a welcome change, I too would be concerned about frustrated drivers cutting in expectantly as others have noted.

I thought any moving violation is an HTA and effects your insurance. Are you saying that if you get and HOV ticket in a car when say travelling on Don Mills there is no ticket that affects your driving record?
That's what i'm saying.

They are municipal HOV lanes, they were enacted by a Toronto by-law. If you get a ticket the charge on it will not be a violation of HTA but actually a by-law offense. Thus it is a city ticket and not reported to insurance.

Toronto HOV lane ticket and demerit points - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

I think you are entirely backwards in your thinking. A rear ender at 15 km/h is annoying but very rarely fatal. I only know of one crash involving a bike in an HOV lane in Ontario and it was fatal. There is nothing more dangerous than high closing speeds.

I know riders who have been in the hospital from rear-enders in traffic. Last year a woman (long time Hamilton rider just back from vacation in U.S.) was slammed from behind and killed on the QEW on her Electra Glide. This happens often and it's much less likely to happen in the HOV lanes. I saw the fatal last year of the woman in the HOV lane who was cut off by a van. I'd rather take my chances with that kind of accident than sit in traffic on 410 where I have already been rear-ended by an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom