HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone

My first time riding in an HOV lane was on 410 just north of Eglinton.. I'm taking it easy and watching for idiots coming over from the right..
When f#ck head in a Honda Fit passes me at 140 IN THE SAME LANE AS ME.. Is Brampton is a 3rd world country?
Yep, welcome to Brampton where the lawlessness from other countries is brought here and not a cop to be seen anywhere when you need them.

My first time riding in an HOV lane was on 410 just north of Eglinton.. I'm taking it easy and watching for idiots coming over from the right..
When f#ck head in a Honda Fit passes me at 140 IN THE SAME LANE AS ME.. Is Brampton is a 3rd world country?

Classic. Just the kind of thing that scares me in that lane. People think it's the super-fast lane. There's a vid somewhere of a guy doing the speed limit in the HOV and some dork gets mad and brake checks him into a bad accident. Not enough policing on 410.

Classic. Just the kind of thing that scares me in that lane. People think it's the super-fast lane. There's a vid somewhere of a guy doing the speed limit in the HOV and some dork gets mad and brake checks him into a bad accident. Not enough policing on 410.
to be fair, doing 100 in the hov lane when the outside lane is going around 110 is pretty annoying...

but the retard that brake checked him and took off was a dick

The HOV lane is typically the leftmost lane on a freeway, not it's own freeway. As the leftmost lane, it should be moving faster than all the others. If the regular lanes are moving faster than a driver in the HOV lane, that HOV driver ought to move right.

Superfast? Tough issue, the law says you must move right when a car is overtaking you, it also says there is a speed limit. I think it's reasonable that the slower driver is expected to move right if the non-HOV lanes are travelling at or above their desired speed.

The HOV lane is typically the leftmost lane on a freeway, not it's own freeway. As the leftmost lane, it should be moving faster than all the others. If the regular lanes are moving faster than a driver in the HOV lane, that HOV driver ought to move right.

Superfast? Tough issue, the law says you must move right when a car is overtaking you, it also says there is a speed limit. I think it's reasonable that the slower driver is expected to move right if the non-HOV lanes are travelling at or above their desired speed.

Good points. However, common sense is in short supply. If at all.

Reactions: LBV
The problem is that the solid lines separating the HOV tends to go a ways, and technically you aren't supposed to cross it if the HOV starts to get slower than the left regular lane....if yer sticking to the rules.

The problem is that the solid lines separating the HOV tends to go a ways, and technically you aren't supposed to cross it if the HOV starts to get slower than the left regular lane....if yer sticking to the rules.
If you aren't planning on going over 100 km/h, 99% of the time, you should never have entered the HOV lanes.

EDIT:
If you aren't planning on going over 100 km/h 99% of the time, you shouldn't have entered a 400 series highway. If you enjoy smelling the roses, there are secondary highways that cater to you.

Last edited:
Well....sort of.... Even at slower speed, there's less intersections, etc. on the highway.

Now that we have access to the HOV, I take it only if it's going to move faster than the rest. Usually the case until you get up to about Hwy 7 on the 404 during rush hour. Then it back up and using the regular lanes is faster. Problem is it's solid lines for a ways before. Gotta judge the flow and get out before it comes to a grinding halt.

to be fair, doing 100 in the hov lane when the outside lane is going around 110 is pretty annoying...

but the retard that brake checked him and took off was a dick
Completely the opposite of fair actually. They are doing the limit and it is NOT the passing lane.

I hope they add those pylons over the double solid whites. I often see cars cutting in and out using it as a passing lane.. Wish I was on the bike to smash some mirrors once they slow down ?

Can you refer me to the part of the Highway Traffic Act where it says the HOV lane is the passing lane at any time? Should buses move out of the HOV lane so people can go 140km/h?

What I see people doing all the time too which defies logic is heading over to the HOV lane when there's absolutely no restriction in any of the other lanes. What for? People must view it as their own personal lane because they've got someone else in the car with them??

What I see people doing all the time too which defies logic is heading over to the HOV lane when there's absolutely no restriction in any of the other lanes. What for? People must view it as their own personal lane because they've got someone else in the car with them??
Why not to have a little peace of mind (other cars shouldn't be cutting into your lane when there is a double solid). Might as well use it and enjoy the drive. In the other lanes you'll have people changing back and forth between lanes sometimes for no reason.

Why not to have a little peace of mind (other cars shouldn't be cutting into your lane when there is a double solid). Might as well use it and enjoy the drive. In the other lanes you'll have people changing back and forth between lanes sometimes for no reason.

Agreed, do that all the time as well for that reason. The HOV lane is not a passing lane.

Can you refer me to the part of the Highway Traffic Act where it says the HOV lane is the passing lane at any time? Should buses move out of the HOV lane so people can go 140km/h?
In Ontario, section 147 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) states any "vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane". The fine for not doing so is $85, it's rarely handed out... but it is the law.

This means you move to the rightmost lane that's doing your speed. There are other areas in the HTA that talk about pulling right when being overtaken.

Unfortunately there is little training and virtually zero enforcement in ON. Try loafing in a left lane anywhere in Europe, much of the USA, QC, NS and NB -- a lo of those jurisdictions will all nab left lane loafers, HOV or not.

That.

There is no point of blocking people and stopping them from going what ever speed they want unless you're a cop. And if you are, then pull them over goddamn it....

If they want to speed and go 140km/h down the hov lane, let them. by blocking them you're only making them more aggressive which is the real danger.

In Ontario, section 147 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) states any "vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane". The fine for not doing so is $85, it's rarely handed out... but it is the law.

This means you move to the rightmost lane that's doing your speed. There are other areas in the HTA that talk about pulling right when being overtaken.

Unfortunately there is little training and virtually zero enforcement in ON. Try loafing in a left lane anywhere in Europe, much of the USA, QC, NS and NB -- a lo of those jurisdictions will all nab left lane loafers, HOV or not.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. I'm talking about the HOV lane. Nothing specifically says it is the passing lane. The right lane is a merging and travelling lane, centre is the travelling lane and the left is the passing lane. But the HOV lane is not classified as a passing lane in any part of the HTA as far as I know. When traffic slows HOV is to be used as a thru-lane, but at other times it's just another travelling lane. The Act is not specific about using it for passing when traffic flow is normal.

That.

There is no point of blocking people and stopping them from going what ever speed they want unless you're a cop. And if you are, then pull them over goddamn it....

If they want to speed and go 140km/h down the hov lane, let them. by blocking them you're only making them more aggressive which is the real danger.

The HOV lanes are not a passing or fast lane.
If there is no traffic I will usually go a bit faster then the speed limit (~120 km/h) but certainly not 140.
If somebody wants to do 140 they can go in one of the other lanes.

Back
Top Bottom