HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone

Along parts of the QEW, say, between Oakville and Burlington, I find the HOV lane tends to actually be slower-going than the non-HOV lanes. With the growing volume of traffic in the GTA coupled with single-occupant abuse and 'left-lane-hogs' obliviousness, it can be more efficient navigating the other lanes --be it auto or moto.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That's what i'm saying.

They are municipal HOV lanes, they were enacted by a Toronto by-law. If you get a ticket the charge on it will not be a violation of HTA but actually a by-law offense. Thus it is a city ticket and not reported to insurance.

Toronto HOV lane ticket and demerit points - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Sorry, that's wrong. The HOV penalty is provincial, municipalities have some rulemaking capability, same as the way they can rule speed zones and special community protection zones. Toronto decides where and the travelling parameters, the province sets the penalty which is a $110 fine AND 3 demerits for improper use of an HOV/HOT lane. It does get reported to your driver abstract. High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes (HOV lanes) - diamond lanes .

Sorry, that's wrong. The HOV penalty is provincial, municipalities have some rulemaking capability, same as the way they can rule speed zones and special community protection zones. Toronto decides where and the travelling parameters, the province sets the penalty which is a $110 fine AND 3 demerits for improper use of an HOV/HOT lane. It does get reported to your driver abstract. High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes (HOV lanes) - diamond lanes .
did you read the thread i posted?

Sure, i have an HOV infraction on my record. Got caught by OPP in the tunnel at 401/404.

VERY unsafe to stop there...in a car, let alone on a bike...should have pulled out of that area and then pulled over

VERY unsafe to stop there...in a car, let alone on a bike...should have pulled out of that area and then pulled over
But then the cops would be ****** and give you value added tickets. If the cops were interested in safety instead of revenue collection, they would be nowhere near that blind corner.

They set up a 'trap' inside the tunnel, as soon as you can see around that corner going right they are parked on either side of the road waving people down.

If I was in charge, I'd make the provincial/highway 'HOV' lanes into 'HST' lanes - High Speed Transit. Speed limit would be 130km/hr in that left-most lane and you would have to have completed a specific advanced driver training/certification (with 5-year re-cert) and your annual vehicle inspections for the vehicles you want to drive thereon.

This would alleviate the issue of the speed-limit folks getting on a highway and crossing multiple lanes into the HOV. This would also help educate on pass-left/drive-right culture. Also possibly helping to reduce overall highway congestion with resultant reduction in total group emissions. The advanced driver training/cert and vehicle inspections may also have a positive impact on safety everywhere else.

did you read the thread i posted?
Yes, I did. I'll be more specific, you said" They are municipal HOV lanes, they were enacted by a Toronto by-law. If you get a ticket the charge on it will not be a violation of HTA but actually a by-law offense." They are on municipal turf, they use the Ontario law, with local amendments as defined in the Toronto Municipal Code. Municipalities have limited of authority to amend laws to suit local conditions -- Bylaws -- which normally add or change restrictions to suit the local needs. For instance Toronto requires 3 passengers neither Toronto or York allow EVs with a single passenger. Municipalities do not have unlimited authority to amend laws through bylaws, for example that cannot change max speed limits or fines. So, if you get an illegal use of an HOV lane in Toronto, your ON abstract gets hit.

Also, Dougie's throwing us a bone, Ontario is amending the HTA to allow single rider bikes in HOV lanes. Ontario may soon allow single-rider motorcycles to use HOV lanes

Yes, I did. I'll be more specific, you said" They are municipal HOV lanes, they were enacted by a Toronto by-law. If you get a ticket the charge on it will not be a violation of HTA but actually a by-law offense." They are on municipal turf, they use the Ontario law, with local amendments as defined in the Toronto Municipal Code. Municipalities have limited of authority to amend laws to suit local conditions -- Bylaws -- which normally add or change restrictions to suit the local needs. For instance Toronto requires 3 passengers neither Toronto or York allow EVs with a single passenger. Municipalities do not have unlimited authority to amend laws through bylaws, for example that cannot change max speed limits or fines. So, if you get an illegal use of an HOV lane in Toronto, your ON abstract gets hit.

Also, Dougie's throwing us a bone, Ontario is amending the HTA to allow single rider bikes in HOV lanes. Ontario may soon allow single-rider motorcycles to use HOV lanes
The people in the thread claimed on their ticket it was not an HTA violation, in court they were not charged with an HTA violation. The cop told them it was a by law violation and not applicable to insurance (why lie?).

Motorcycles can already use HOV lanes in the city.

I know somebody who received a Toronto HOV lane violation (Yonge, Steeles-Finch) - it was a bylaw ticket/fine. No HTA offence, no abstract/record.

Anyone know what happened to the HOV sign on Bay south of Queen?

Last year there was a motorcycle beside the bicycle. Late summer they stuck a white sticker over it and now it looks like they've permanently updated the sign. Not a lot of consistency with the HOV signage (must be the same people who do the street parking)

I know somebody who received a Toronto HOV lane violation (Yonge, Steeles-Finch) - it was a bylaw ticket/fine. No HTA offence, no abstract/record.
(y) i rest my case your honor.

Anyone know what happened to the HOV sign on Bay south of Queen?

Last year there was a motorcycle beside the bicycle. Late summer they stuck a white sticker over it and now it looks like they've permanently updated the sign. Not a lot of consistency with the HOV signage (must be the same people who do the street parking)
Yes they flip flop

Ohhh can't wait to get into the HOV lane behind someone going under the limit and no one in front of them :rolleyes:

I know, I know this will be better for communiting and when it is really jammed but the implementation of this "lane" was badly planned.

The people in the thread claimed on their ticket it was not an HTA violation, in court they were not charged with an HTA violation. The cop told them it was a by law violation and not applicable to insurance (why lie?).

I got an HOV ticket on Dundas a while back while looking for the turn off for Kipling station. Cop gave me the ticket and was very clear it was just a By-law infraction and won't effect my insurance.

I got an HOV ticket on Dundas a while back while looking for the turn off for Kipling station. Cop gave me the ticket and was very clear it was just a By-law infraction and won't effect my insurance.
You got a "driving in a Diamond Bus lane" a Toronto bylaw infraction, that's not an HTA offense - Toronto has miles and miles of bus lanes that are not HOV. HOV offenses are covered by the HTA - you will get 2 demerits and a $110 fine. City of Toronto's HOV lanes where you will get an HTA offense are:
  • Don Mills Rd./Overlea Blvd./Pape Ave - between Finch Ave. E and Danforth Ave
  • Dundas St. W. - between Etobicoke Creek and Aukland Rd
  • Eglinton Ave. E - between Leslie St and Cedar Dr.
  • Yonge St. - between Steeles Ave. and Bishop Ave/Hendon Ave

You got a "driving in a Diamond Bus lane" a Toronto bylaw infraction, that's not an HTA offense - Toronto has miles and miles of bus lanes that are not HOV. HOV offenses are covered by the HTA - you will get 2 demerits and a $110 fine. City of Toronto's HOV lanes where you will get an HTA offense are:
  • Don Mills Rd./Overlea Blvd./Pape Ave - between Finch Ave. E and Danforth Ave
  • Dundas St. W. - between Etobicoke Creek and Aukland Rd
  • Eglinton Ave. E - between Leslie St and Cedar Dr.
  • Yonge St. - between Steeles Ave. and Bishop Ave/Hendon Ave
Dundas and Auckland (right next to Kipling station) is an HOV lane, you even quoted it.

I even found the sign on google maps:

Bus, Carpool, Taxi and motorcycle between posted times.

Is this what denial looks like?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom