HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lane....fingers crossed everyone

Thanks for the update. The section I was interested in is along Dufferin St. North of Sheppard up to Steeles. I hadn't noticed they added the motorcycle symbol on the bus..HOV lanes. I always found it odd that as soon as you pass Steeles. In York Region they allowed motorcycles. Now it's all consistent.

Thanks for the update. The section I was interested in is along Dufferin St. North of Sheppard up to Steeles. I hadn't noticed they added the motorcycle symbol on the bus..HOV lanes. I always found it odd that as soon as you pass Steeles. In York Region they allowed motorcycles. Now it's all consistent.
Right now on Yonge between Sheppard and Steeles it looks like the motorcycle symbol has a sticker over it, however it's dark enough that at a glance you can still see the image. I use it.

/shrug

I remember seeing they added the motorcycle symbol when they changed it over from a bus only lane to regular HOV lane there

No sign changes on the 410 yet

In the spirit of the SNL Mexican banditos sketches of the 80s - "We don't need no stinkin' signs."

Or in the spirit of the 5-Man Electrical Band

"Sign, sign
Everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery
Breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign?"

We ride bikes because we are rebels. no?

I only saw one sign with the motorcycle on it as soon as you merge from dvp to 404 Hov NB. Rest of the signs were the old ones.

Using HOV lanes in the GTA could be more dangerous than it's worth...especially for riders. Four reasons why I stopped using HOV lanes altogether.

1) Cars darting in and out illegally, either intentionally or through ignorance.
2) Single passenger cars worrying more about getting caught than focusing on safe driving.
3) Cagers thinking that HOV lanes are like the Autobahn with no speed limit, constantly riding your tail.
4) Lack of law enforcement in most areas.

No thanks.

I could add to this vehicles traveling at 100 kph or less, i.e. slower than traffic in the non HOV lanes. Slower Traffic Move Right includes the HOV lanes too.

For riders the greatest risk, I think, will be vehicles in the left lane cutting into the HOV lane. I see this all the time and have also seen many fender bender type accidents over the years due to this. Obviously these will be bad accidents for riders who get sideswiped or who end up rear ending a slow moving car that abruptly pulls in front of them.

And there was that biker who died when an SUV from the left lane went into the HOV lane without properly checking and he nailed her from behind and went flying over. The video of it was posted here but taken down for obvious reasons. Be careful!

Saw signs up on the 410, the motorcycle isn't on every sign (I think it should be) but it is on signs where HOV lanes start and sometimes on signs throughout the HOV lane. I've been using it the last 2 days and it has been great. Always have to keep a close eye on those who jump in from the "left" lane whether its legally or illegally, either way it is dangerous.

Have that thumb over the horn button and don't be afraid to double-tap it to get someone's attention.

Have that thumb over the horn button and don't be afraid to double-tap it to get someone's attention.

The difference in speed is far to great to think that a couple blasts of a horn will do you much good.

If traffic is flowing but slower then normal at like 60-70km/h kinda thing I’m down for using the HOV lanes. Bumper to bumper at a snails pace then I’m not going to be 5 feet to left going 80-100km/h faster then the stopped cars. Nothing good can come from it.

Always have an escape route.
In the hov that isnt as easy as it sounds. The idiot will come from your right and that line of traffic is stopped so you cant go that way. If you try to go left and dont miss the idiot, there is a very good chance you fly over the wall into the fast moving hov traffic going the other direction (who also have no escape route). Your best option (that still sucks) is probably to brake as hard as possible until just before impact and then jump. Hopefully you clear the idiot and they stop before running you over.

The difference in speed is far to great to think that a couple blasts of a horn will do you much good.

If traffic is flowing but slower then normal at like 60-70km/h kinda thing I’m down for using the HOV lanes. Bumper to bumper at a snails pace then I’m not going to be 5 feet to left going 80-100km/h faster then the stopped cars. Nothing good can come from it.
Oh, I totally agree if the speed difference is THAT much. There's certainly a point in differential where a horn honk ain't going to make a difference. 100%!

All I would try to do is follow another car while in the HOV lane maybe a bit closer than the normal 2 second rule (what I try and do through intersections as well). Use him as the "site marker" for those in the lane to the right that may jump in front of you. Either way, it takes more than the normal attention & preparedness to come out of it without an incident.

@GreyGhost says it well too.

So what do you think of it so far? Good, bad, dangerous. Curious.
Myself, got to keep your head on a swivel. Read the traffic.

Used it a couple of times on the 404 and used the DVP one when it was there during the Games. I liked it and it wasn't an issue. I keep my eyes moving and looking for potential danger....same as I do on Don Mills and everywhere else.

The upside to a few riders getting squished in the hov lanes is the tickets issued for illegal entry will probably change to careless or dangerous instead of the stupid ticket you get now.

Been straddling the left line in the 410 HOV. These lawless kooks just jump left with no warning. Then they drive like it's the German autobahn. Bit of a survival learning curve here.

Been straddling the left line in the 410 HOV. These lawless kooks just jump left with no warning. Then they drive like it's the German autobahn. Bit of a survival learning curve here.
Yep, welcome to Brampton where the lawlessness from other countries is brought here and not a cop to be seen anywhere when you need them.

Back
Top Bottom