Housing costs | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Housing costs

He's gotten much better. Now that he was given the super's business card with the phone number (highlighted) on it, he now phone in sick around one-ish.

Which program? Like I understand YouTube and IG is saturated but job market now too? Oh yeah....over supply of human capital, driving the price down of labour.
She is a former RT at a hospital trying to get into admin/projects. Has PMP and MPH.

Masters is next to worthless. Fiance got her Masters and it hasn't got her so much as a call back for an interview in her field. The job market (in a lot of fields) is over saturated, plenty of people with a decade + experience willing to work for same or less money then someone new. Cannot compete with that.
My daughter's career wouldn't have gone anywhere without her master's. That and the contacts she made in the coop program have paid off bigtime for her.
The person has to have a goal

Masters is next to worthless. Fiance got her Masters and it hasn't got her so much as a call back for an interview in her field. The job market (in a lot of fields) is over saturated, plenty of people with a decade + experience willing to work for same or less money then someone new. Cannot compete with that.

I know multiple people in med school now after a masters, one in vet school and one in law school, several in high tech industry with decent salaries. My wife has two masters degrees and has a decent job in IT.

I'm paying $1600/mth. Rent for one of my kid's rental in Vancouver (she's at UBC)

$500/mth. for similar accommodations for my other kid going to Brock...

But hey.. it's only money Lol.

Last edited:
I'm paying $1600/mth. Rent for my kid's rental in Vancouver (she's at UBC)

$500/mth. for similar accommodations for my other kid going to Brock...

FML

That’s outrageous for the van one. My buddy is renting rooms to students here at $500 for a decent sized room.

That’s outrageous for the van one. My buddy is renting rooms to students here at $500 for a decent sized room.

Its actually pretty fair for Vancouver...
We're not even paying market rent for her place... 'Luckily we know some people out there.

My daughter's career wouldn't have gone anywhere without her master's. That and the contacts she made in the coop program have paid off bigtime for her.
The person has to have a goal
When did she get her career off the ground?

I know multiple people in med school now after a masters, one in vet school and one in law school, several in high tech industry with decent salaries. My wife has two masters degrees and has a decent job in IT.
I didn't say all fields, but tell them to brace for impact.

When did she get her career off the ground?
10 years ago. But it has been in a constant state of evolving. She took environmental sciences at UofW and is now a wetlands biologist. She also guides for a eco tour company in Costa Rica and in Mexico as well as her local job that pays the bills.

Is that 1600 for 1 room or an entire place ?

Shared house in Kitsalano... private bedroom, her own bathroom, rest of the house is shared (kichen/laundry/living room/dining room etc)

One year she had a two bedroom basement suite which usually went for $3000/mth., but again... luckily for us we were able to get it for far less than that.

Vancouver's real estate market is dildos, but... people pay to live there

Shared house in Kitsalano... private bedroom, her own bathroom, rest of the house is shared (kichen/laundry/living room/dining room etc)

One year she had a two bedroom basement suite which usually went for $3000/mth., but again... luckily for us we were able to get it for dar less than that.
Wow .. didn't know Vancouver is this crazy. I was paying $600 for 1 bedroom, my own washroom in Markham/Thornhill few years ago. Thought Vancouver would be max $1k at the most for something similar.

Wow .. didn't know Vancouver is this crazy. I was paying $600 for 1 bedroom, my own washroom in Markham/Thornhill few years ago. Thought Vancouver would be max $1k at the most for something similar.
$550 1 bedroom shared bathroom 4 years ago in R.Hill!

How would you prove what you can do as a mail clerk? Would they be given other special projects as well and work for free?
The reason large companies start employees at the bottom is simple. 1) They want to see how fast you learn and master routine tasks. 2) They want to see your work ethic and workplace behaviour. 3) They want you to learn about the company and it's culture.

If you are recognized for dependability and you're able to master the work they have given you, it doesn't take long to get your career going. As for working for free, big companies don't generally do that.

You should be working this long weekend too, and every weekend!
Wait......you have weekends off?? And you're getting "holiday pay" for not working today, and several more stats throughout the year?
Take a second, and thank a union!

Equity position in the place, my paid holidays are my own money.....

Maybe for the mailroom or shipping department.

My first year at IBM was in 1990 as an intern, full time a couple of years later. So not quite 30 years but close. In my orientation group, everyone there had degrees. I spent nearly 10 years at Big Blue. Almost everyone I dealt with on a day-to-day basis was university-educated. If IBM hired people straight out of high-school and they advanced to white-collar/managerial positions, they were the exceptions, not the norm.
Perhaps you were in a skill area that required a degree. My wife's dad was a VP in Software development, his group required degrees. Up until the late 80's IBM had armies administrative, clerical, production, and warehouse staff -- you didn't need a degree for those jobs (data entry operators, wordprocessors, office clerks, receptionists, secretaries, production workers, warehouse and drivers)... they had thousands of positions in Toronto alone. Most of the managers in those work groups were also trained internally.

But this isn't a history lesson. Today IBM is unlikely to hire you without a degree -- they are no longer in the data entry, production, distribution games and technology has eliminated the armies of clerks and secretaries big firms needed back then. But lots of companies still require armies of entry level staff AND they provide those staff with some pretty good opportunities. Any bank, insurance company, or big retailer will take on highschoolers. You will start in a basic role, I've seen hard workers hit $65K in 5 years and $80K an 8. If you start at 19 and work hard, you can retire comfortably at 55 - some companies still offer pensions..

Back
Top Bottom