Hot tub anyone? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

I just had a thought.

If I went this route with the company from Hamilton...

Would the railway ties not take more of the lateral stress? If I went this route and had it start 2' to 4' from the stairwell would that work better than the recessed gravel where the earth or foundation wall has to contain the gravel.

Thoughts? Is my reasoning sound?

I just had a thought.

If I went this route with the company from Hamilton...

Would the railway ties not take more of the lateral stress? If I went this route and had it start 2' to 4' from the stairwell would that work better than the recessed gravel where the earth or foundation wall has to contain the gravel.

Thoughts? Is my reasoning sound?
I dont think so. For one thing, it looks like the wood is barely held together but more importantly the surcharge is a downward pressure trying to push sideways. Right now the wall is holding up 3' of dirt. If you put 3' of water right at the edge of the wall, you have more than doubled the weight trying to push it over. The right answer is probably somewhat connected to the angle of repose but assuming the force spreads out at a 45 deg angle probably gets you close. That is why I suggested tub ~3' from wall as at that point I dont think it would be passing load to the wall. I may be wrong and as I said, your situation is a hell of a lot stronger than a typical straight 3' retaining wall so you may be able to get closer without ill effects. Spend some time googling retaining wall surcharge and you will quickly pass me in the knowledge department.

I dont think so. For one thing, it looks like the wood is barely held together but more importantly the surcharge is a downward pressure trying to push sideways. Right now the wall is holding up 3' of dirt. If you put 3' of water right at the edge of the wall, you have more than doubled the weight trying to push it over. The right answer is probably somewhat connected to the angle of repose but assuming the force spreads out at a 45 deg angle probably gets you close. That is why I suggested tub ~3' from wall as at that point I dont think it would be passing load to the wall. I may be wrong and as I said, your situation is a hell of a lot stronger than a typical straight 3' retaining wall so you may be able to get closer without ill effects. Spend some time googling retaining wall surcharge and you will quickly pass me in the knowledge department.

Thanks for the insight and response. Will look into this more. Going 3 ft away from the wall is not a problem. Then put in a little walkway there or put a little bed there with some plants or something. If moving it over 3 ft or so would work then that is a good idea.

If I were to move it around to the right here then the tub would be pushing against the retaining wall connected to the pool.

I'd move it away from the retaining wall of the stairwell , not for the engineering, of which I have zero experience. But because people drinking sometimes sit on the edge of the tub and thats a long backflip into the stairwell. I'd leave a clearance, I have a lot of hot tub drinking experience.

So I have the Hydropool tub, current one is new from 2008, hasn’t skipped a beat, previous to that was same manufacturer, it was new 2005 but had an issue after 3 years, the bonding agents used started to come apart, so the tub was replaced with the new one in 2008, with no more than a phone call, an inspection by their techs, and delivery’s of the new tub in about 2 weeks.

only thing on a future tub, is I would probably go with a composite exterior, the cedar ones tend to fade, need to be sanded and restained every couple of years if left in full and direct sunlight, only drawback in my many years of ownership.

I buy my filters at Costco, way cheaper, than from Hydropool, and clean and rinse it once a week or once every 2 weeks, depending on usage

cost about 30 bucks a month in hydro, a bit more in the winter, and about 150-200 bucks in chemicals give or take

as everyone else, in the beginning it used to be used very often, hell I’d have the guys over, grab some Crown, a cigars and shoot the breeze, for a couple of hours, (most have their own tubs now) so now not so much, usually now it’s me and the wife, or I alone to unwind and relax

in 8 years I have changed the cover once, that was 2 years ago, sorry had to get a new cover once before, someone sat on top of the cover and broke it, they paid for the new cover.

i tried once to shut it down during the winter, never again, pain in the butt opening it, as it can get mouldy over the winter, so I just time my water changes to get me through the seasons, even if cant change the water just have chlorine or bromine in it until I can at least the water won’t go green on you

Whatever you decide or get, I am sure you will enjoy

I buy my filters in bulk, here....

How many filters are people going through? I have two sets of two filters and rotate them monthly to allow me to clean and dry a set. I do not plan on buying more filters anytime soon. They house came with one set and some cleaner which look like they may have been original to the tub (~5 years).

I did buy a bunch of stuff from that site when a fitting sprung a leak. Fast shipping and great prices. I think their warehouse is near Peterborough for those that want to pick things up.

Sadly most of the refurb folks I have spoken to don't have any tubs. There is a dealer in the Hespeler village (Cambridge) that usually have a decent selection of refurbished tubs and they are out of stock.

I am going to just continue to plod along. Get the electric and pad done and a tub will come along. There are 3 I am keeping an eye on in kijjij and hopefully one or two will still be around in a few weeks when I should be good to go. Otherwise I will keep putting money away and will have funds available when the time is right.

With all of these hot tubs and RVs sold this summer I have to wonder how many of them will be on the used market in the next year to three when things change. Weird that a lot of big purchases are being made in uncertain economic times. If we wanted to finance or dip into our line of credit then I could go ahead and get my dream tub. I try to buy with cash or almost all cash; hence my used truck, 2008 Suzuki, 2010 model year little RV... 2 out of 3 paid in cash and the truck is only about $6800 left on it.

I will continue to plod alone. I may skip trying to camp this weekend and instead spend the money and time to build my future home for the hot tub.

Don't give up on my gang. I will be joining the party at some point!

@Zoodles95 the used market may get better sooner than you think. Mortgage deferrals are ending, CERB is ending, and the second wave is starting. Unless JT pulls out another trick out of his hat the next few months will be very interesting.

Good point although I don't wish any ill will on anyone. Just the same Inhave seen a few boom/bust cycles in my time. I would love to upgrade to a larger, non hybrid, trailer but not going to buy sight unseen as so many other as RVs are essentially sold out at this point and many RV manufacturers are building presolds and not even inventory. These are often sold with 15 year and longer terms. Sadly many will have to flip these at a financial loss when they get bored or can't afford it anymore.

I imagine the same thing will happen with hot tubs as well.

I found this video last night. I am planning on digging down and also making a form with treated wood to keep the gravel from shifting. Look what this pro is doing. Will this not shift?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Good point although I don't wish any ill will on anyone. Just the same Inhave seen a few boom/bust cycles in my time. I would love to upgrade to a larger, non hybrid, trailer but not going to buy sight unseen as so many other as RVs are essentially sold out at this point and many RV manufacturers are building presolds and not even inventory. These are often sold with 15 year and longer terms. Sadly many will have to flip these at a financial loss when they get bored or can't afford it anymore.

I imagine the same thing will happen with hot tubs as well.

I found this video last night. I am planning on digging down and also making a form with treated wood to keep the gravel from shifting. Look what this pro is doing. Will this not shift?

Over the grass? F me. "Hot tub and spa expert" and scammer extraordinaire. No apparent compaction either. That grass will disappear and that side of the tub will lose support.

If you notice, the tub is almost touching a window well as well. It's a pretty strong shape and just in one corner so it may not matter but I think that guy doesn't have a clue. He brands and sells.

Over the grass? F me. "Hot tub and spa expert" and scammer extraordinaire. No apparent compaction either. That grass will disappear and that side of the tub will lose support.
I'll bet they charged for that service. I was looking at digging down 6". Making a form with treated lumber and then subdividing the form horizontally and vertically. Then gravel into form. Pack and tamp. Level. Then pavers or floor system on top.

Should I put a screen down before the form to limit any weed growth? My plan is that my form would.be permanent.

I'll bet they charged for that service. I was looking at digging down 6". Making a form with treated lumber and then subdividing the form horizontally and vertically. Then gravel into form. Pack and tamp. Level. Then pavers or floor system on top.

Should I put a screen down before the form to limit any weed growth? My plan is that my form would.be permanent.

No weeds will grow under the tub. There is no light and almost no air. If you are making the pad larger than the tub, you probably won't have an issue with or without cloth. Normally I use it because it's cheap and I sure as hell am not coming back to add it later.

If you want to leave the wood in the ground, make sure you get ground contact rated PT wood. Most is explicitly not ground-contact rated. I don't think you need a whole grid of wood. If you are doing a step up I would use a perimeter to contain the gravel, if you are doing level with the ground, I would probably skip the wood as it will look like hell before the hot tub does.

Our experience with a base thus far.

The tub is located in between two mature maple trees. They are not next to the tub but close enough to provide a canopy for shade in the summer.

There is a root system we had to contend with but, was surprised it wasn’t bad in reality. We had a second spot identified if the current one didn’t work out.

We consulted with a landscape supply company and was directed to use HPB (high performance bedding) gravel at a minimum of 4” depth. Hand tampered and sat for 3 weeks before covering with 2” thick patio stones. The patio stones sat another few weeks as the tub was delivered later than told. It remained level and didn’t settle any.

The HPB gravel has enough fine stone and sand to fill the cracks between the patio stones as well.

It’s been since June and everything remains level thus far. We shall see how the winter and ground frost effects the base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No weeds will grow under the tub. There is no light and almost no air. If you are making the pad larger than the tub, you probably won't have an issue with or without cloth. Normally I use it because it's cheap and I sure as hell am not coming back to add it later.

If you want to leave the wood in the ground, make sure you get ground contact rated PT wood. Most is explicitly not ground-contact rated. I don't think you need a whole grid of wood. If you are doing a step up I would use a perimeter to contain the gravel, if you are doing level with the ground, I would probably skip the wood as it will look like hell before the hot tub does.
Okay. Thanks for the advice. I did our front walkway at our old house just digging down, tamping/compacting and that thing barely moved over 15 years.

Okay. I will just dig down 6", use gravel, tamp, sit, the pavers or a hot tub floor system after. Pavers are way cheaper. The floor systems are $580 to $950 plus taxes.

Our experience with a base thus far.

The tub is located in between two mature maple trees. They are not next to the tub but close enough to provide a canopy for shade in the summer.

There is a root system we had to contend with but, was surprised it wasn’t bad in reality. We had a second spot identified if the current one didn’t work out.

We consulted with a landscape supply company and was directed to use HPB (high performance bedding) gravel at a minimum of 4” depth. Hand tampered and sat for 3 weeks before covering with 2” thick patio stones. The patio stones sat another few weeks as the tub was delivered later than told. It remained level and didn’t settle any.

The HPB gravel has enough fine stone and sand to fill the cracks between the patio stones as well.

It’s been since June and everything remains level thus far. We shall see how the winter and ground frost effects the base.

Thx for your input. I will look into this specialized gravel. I was just going to get a whack of regular, plain old, gravel to put.into the bed of my truck. It sounds like this is a better solution.

Thx for your input. I will look into this specialized gravel. I was just going to get a whack of regular, plain old, gravel to put.into the bed of my truck. It sounds like this is a better solution.

Find a supplier in your area.

Here is a link for Niagara just to show the cost is the same and there is many to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom