Hot tub anyone? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

Everyone I know that has one used it for a few years regularly and then less and less until almost not at all.

The monthly electricity cost can also be significant specially if it is four season (assuming electric for heating the water), and really, the best time to use it is in the winter (who wants to sit in a hot tub when it is 30+ outside).

I love the idea but the above two points put me off...

Everyone I know that has one used it for a few years regularly and then less and less until almost not at all.

The monthly electricity cost can also be significant specially if it is four season (assuming electric for heating the water), and really, the best time to use it is in the winter (who wants to sit in a hot tub when it is 30+ outside).

I love the idea but the above two points put me off...
After 6 yrs, I was using mine at least as often as I did when I bought it, until it broke down (early this year). I sometimes wondered how much extra hydro it used. My last two monthly bills have been $10 - $15 less....so no biggie to keep it running 365.

After 6 yrs, I was using mine at least as often as I did when I bought it, until it broke down (early this year). I sometimes wondered how much extra hydro it used. My last two monthly bills have been $10 - $15 less....so no biggie to keep it running 365.
I can see the spikes on the daily hydro when it runs its filter cycles (off-peak obviously). I figure mine is ~$1 per day. Well it was, but the lid has gotten waterlogged and the seal blocks between the sections have given up. Now it loses heat faster. Next summer I will see if I can dehumidify the lid and if not, it's time for a new one (probably the thickest I can buy 6" to 4", current is 4 to 2)

looks like a good deal to me
3K new in the box

but yeah, prolly not allowed in town
looks like a retired guy with access to cheap firewood project

But what do you do with it when it's off? It has no heater or pumps and has minimal insulation at best. Filling a hottub from a hose takes hours. I wonder if a bubbler is enough to keep it from freezing (probably not as it has a finite volume of water).

I can see the spikes on the daily hydro when it runs its filter cycles (off-peak obviously). I figure mine is ~$1 per day. Well it was, but the lid has gotten waterlogged and the seal blocks between the sections have given up. Now it loses heat faster. Next summer I will see if I can dehumidify the lid and if not, it's time for a new one (probably the thickest I can buy 6" to 4", current is 4 to 2)
I forgot 'Peak Saver' gave me a hydro usage monitor. I could have watched my usage spiking too. I'll have to find it.
I replaced my water logged lid after 5 yrs. Nearly needed a crane to lift it. I considered the extra thick lid, but I cheaped out, and put what was original back on. It's absolutely ok. For the extra $$ and a 5yr lifespan, I don't see the hydro savings ever evening out.

But what do you do with it when it's off? It has no heater or pumps and has minimal insulation at best. Filling a hottub from a hose takes hours. I wonder if a bubbler is enough to keep it from freezing (probably not as it has a finite volume of water).

looks like a retired guy with access to cheap firewood project

I forgot 'Peak Saver' gave me a hydro usage monitor. I could have watched my usage spiking too. I'll have to find it.
I replaced my water logged lid after 5 yrs. Nearly needed a crane to lift it. I considered the extra thick lid, but I cheaped out, and put what was original back on. It's absolutely ok. For the extra $$ and a 5yr lifespan, I don't see the hydro savings ever evening out.
I just priced out a cover. Increasing from 3-2 to 6-4 is $75. Increasing foam density from 1.5 to 2 lbs is $100. It is very annoying they have it as density, not R value. I suspect thickness is probably worth the money (double the R value for ~20% additional cost), density is not worth it (30% increase in R value (maybe further research needed) for ~25% more money).

@jc100 Why wouldn't the wood burning ones be allowed within city limits?

I think it‘s the same as having a fire pit in the backyard.

The metal fire pits that are available at box stores are not 100% legal either.
I think the only way you can circumvent the rules is if you are using it for food preparation purposes only.

Last edited:
I think it‘a the same as having a fire pit in the backyard.

The metal fire pits that are available at box stores are not 100% legal either.
I think the only way you can circumvent the rules is if you are using it for food preparation purposes only.
Hmm...then I need to look into this. Because most of my friends have open fire pits in their back yards in Mississauga.

Just read the Mississauga bylaw....open pit fires are allowed in Mississauga under certain conditions. Primarily...5m from any other object, within a certain size, being watched, have water or fire extinguisher ready, and must be watched at all times.

Last edited:
Hmm...then I need to look into this. Because most of my friends have open fire pits in their back yards in Mississauga.

and if they are responsible and have a good relationship with neighbors
it's unlikely to ever be an issue

like many other things
it's when neighbors are feuding it becomes a problem
they claim the smoke is coming into the house and call the municipality

Everyone I know that has one used it for a few years regularly and then less and less until almost not at all
Some (probably most) owners end up this way. Like everything, some people go the other way and dont want to be without one. I have friends that add one to every house they buy and repair/1replace them when they break. Other friends used it because it came with the house, but once confronted with a leak pulled the plug as it wasnt worth the money to them.

How about a 0-maintenance required infrared sauna?
Obviously not as nice for a "group activity", but as your self appointed forum-sauna-pusher, it is my duty to proclaim its benefits to a hot tub.
See some cheapo ones too from CT sales and on kijiji, much easier to DIY, operate, and a shower isn't mandatory after use.

In a world with no regulations, I'd slap one on a condo balcony or in the basement.
In addition to all the same health benefits, it also doubles as a gear dryer after getting caught in the rain! (JK, don't use heat to dry your waterlogged clothing, hang dry only)

How about a 0-maintenance required infrared sauna?
Obviously not as nice for a "group activity", but as your self appointed forum-sauna-pusher, it is my duty to proclaim its benefits to a hot tub.
See some cheapo ones too from CT sales and on kijiji, much easier to DIY, operate, and a shower isn't mandatory after use.

In a world with no regulations, I'd slap one on a condo balcony or in the basement.
In addition to all the same health benefits, it also doubles as a gear dryer after getting caught in the rain! (JK, don't use heat to dry your waterlogged clothing, hang dry only)
I've only done a quick homeshow style sit in an infrared sauna. Hated it. A proper outdoor cedar wet sauna is on my long term construction list. Before I start, I will try to spend some time in a working infrared sauna and see if it can give me what I want for less money.

I've only done a quick homeshow style sit in an infrared sauna. Hated it. A proper outdoor cedar wet sauna is on my long term construction list. Before I start, I will try to spend some time in a working infrared sauna and see if it can give me what I want for less money.

I'm no sauna expert, just use a lot of the ones at Goodlife, and once you get over the general questionable cleanliness (or not care), they definitely vary in heat levels. I use them 4-5 times a week, and I normally don't start sweating until 15mins in, and after that, it becomes the struggle-bus depending on the level of activity prior. Puddles of sweat start to form between 45-60minutes in.

The infrared ones definitely don't get as hot as the steam ones, but they are presumably also a lot less maintenance and easier to install. I also see a lot of people "tricking" the accessible thermostats with wet wads of papertowels to temporarily increase the temperature and expedite the 'suffering/sweating' process.

Back
Top Bottom