Hot tub anyone? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

So, my wife an I pulled the trigger and got a used hot tub/spa. We looked at new ones from the GTA through SW Ontario. Most laughed at us with starting prices at $8500 plus tax and wait times of 20 weeks. Thank you Covid-19.

So, we checked out a local fella that refurbishes for the past 20 years.

Choices limited but, landed on a Maax Mirage with a 2 year warrenty. I did the electrical. 4 years high school major and 3 year college diploma but, no ticket, I should know what I’m doing. The wiring from the panel to the tub location was a small fortune and a lot of effort but, worth the effort. I didn’t short cut anything and will pass code/home inspection if we sell down the road.

We got it after the heat wave a couple of weeks ago and I don’t think I’ve gone a day without taking a 20 minute dip.

Got most of the chemicals from Amazon such as testing strips and bromine, shock, extra filter etc.

It’s been a nice addition to the back yard and looking forward to the winter now.

Like anything, plenty of advice that varies but, seem to find out own way.

The wife if happy and I’ve got the old CB500 now so, this late summer seems to be doing this family well.

I sleep better and enjoy our back yard in the evenings more.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just seeing this thread now. I would call myself a hot tub expert as I've moved, fixed, delivered, and dumped hundreds of hot tubs over the years. I deliver new ones for a couple of stores and also buy/sell many used ones a year. There are 1000 different brands on the market, %90 of them use the same pumps, jets, electronics.
What you will want to look out for is Arctic spas, jacuzzi, and sundance all use proprietary parts where a heater element on them will be $300 compared to a $69 one in other brands.
The price on some of these new ones is insane at 15-20k you can buy a car for what some of these stores are asking but like anything else, a lot of people only care about the monthly payment lol.
Hot tub technology hasn't changed one small bit in 15 years, I would suggest buying used (couple years old can save big money) even if you had to replace every part on the hot tub you would still be ahead....make sure you see it up and running full of water without any leaks around the base.

Most people I know who have one don't use it anymore...
Once they realized how much it was costing to run it they shut it down and wait for it to fall apart.

Most people I know who have one don't use it anymore...
Once they realized how much it was costing to run it they shut it down and wait for it to fall apart.
We use ours in waves. Sometimes multiple times daily, sometimes not for weeks. It depends a lot how we are feeling and outside temp. I was manually doing chlorine checks every day and this summer switched to the floater with tablets. 100% convinced the floater is the way to go. No more chlorine swings if you don't check it for a few days and only refill the floater every few weeks. CYA buildup doesn't matter as it gets dumped a few times a year anyway.

Switched lids this year as the original (7 years old) was waterlogged. New lid is 6"-4" so it should both insulate better and shed precipitation more easily.

I just finished chopping mine up into bite sized pieces. Kids used it for a few years, never ending issues with chipmunks and squirrels burrowing into the insulation, chewing pipes and wires. Good riddance!

We are still searching for one but it’ll be a used one considering the pricing we are seeing and the lead times.
Ill have time to do some research in the coming week so looking forward to learning more.
Not spending 8K+ on a brand new one that’s for sure.

We are still searching for one but it’ll be a used one considering the pricing we are seeing and the lead times.
Ill have time to do some research in the coming week so looking forward to learning more.
Not spending 8K+ on a brand new one that’s for sure.
Used with a strong back (or some friends) is the way to go. A friend picked up one less than two years old for 3000. It was ~15,000 new. The family bought it and then decided a hot tub wasn't their thing. If someone has 10K+ to spend, they are normally looking at a store so they can get delivery included. The used market is brutal for depreciation (which makes it a great place for purchasing).

If you are pulling out a hot tub, make sure you lock out the power so nobody in the house can light you up.

We always bought new feeling the warranty was justified, three tubs later we have only had one warranty claim, heater element which was actually my fault.
I always thought they dont like to be moved, thats where leaks come from but thousands change location and are just fine.
I'm going to start watching the ads for a dcent used small one, 3-4 person since we are NEVER having people over to hot tub, even pre covid that petrie dish, was my petrie dish.....

Hardest part will be moving the damn thing. But that’s what research and a few hundred dollars are for. There’s people to hire for this lol.

We debated this choice for years. We enjoyed using my in laws every time we visited as well as other family members.

We were so close before covid to pull the trigger and didn’t.

Now? It’s crazy. Demand is higher than supply and even the dealers are afraid to sell something and deal with the fall out.

If you can arrange a private sale and delivery, I would encourage it.

Our tub is far from fancy. No waterfall or stereo or laser lights.

But she does have decent jets and insulation and they did a decent job at refurbishing it. Oh and new cover.

The guy we purchased from is overwhelmed from inquires and current orders and starting to get complaints.

Edit, I made my own cover lift with 1” PVC instead of the options available through Amazon etc. Works like a charm. May look a little redneck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We have a salt clorinater in ours check the levels weekly every few weeks bring the ph down. So easy even a cave man could do it. It does get used in waves as well sometimes no one goes in it for weeks. Doesn't seem to cost much to run.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

We debated this choice for years. We enjoyed using my in laws every time we visited as well as other family members.

We were so close before covid to pull the trigger and didn’t.

Now? It’s crazy. Demand is higher than supply and even the dealers are afraid to sell something and deal with the fall out.

If you can arrange a private sale and delivery, I would encourage it.

Our tub is far from fancy. No waterfall or stereo or laser lights.

But she does have decent jets and insulation and they did a decent job at refurbishing it. Oh and new cover.

The guy we purchased from is overwhelmed from inquires and current orders and starting to get complaints.

Edit, I made my own cover lift with 1” PVC instead of the options available through Amazon etc. Works like a charm. May look a little redneck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My last $300 hydraulic cover lift tore itself apart in 5 months and they said it was not a warranty issue. Bastards. Planning on building a roll off so it should.last forever. New cover had gazebo handles to facilitate.

8FFD7EF1-02E7-4C3C-8EBE-A13C7FCD800B.jpeg
Post chainsaw. Off to the dump tomorrow.

We have a salt clorinater in ours check the levels weekly every few weeks bring the ph down. So easy even a cave man could do it. It does get used in waves as well sometimes no one goes in it for weeks. Doesn't seem to cost much to run.

I thought salt water hot tubs were not happy with longevity(salt water plus high temps is not a good combination)? That will be on the radar for the next one.

I have had the salt and clorinater in it for 5 years no issues jaccuzi j345 and intelliclor clorinater just maintain. The salt level and done adjust the ph every few weeks.

At the risk of starting a oil thread RE: Salt vs Chlorine vs Bromine etc.

I personally went with Bromine tablets in a floater which I take out when I’m in the tub. Got a shock treatment which is suppose to be used (adding 1 oz to the tub water) approximately once a week to oxidize the Bromine to keep it working and keep the water clear etc. (I ma have the terminology incorrect here). Test strips appear to show everything is ok so far.

Don’t know if it’s luck or not but, so far, so good.

It was recommended to get a second filter and rotate weekly and giving the dirty one a thorough cleaning. I’ve done this once so far. The original filter did have visible stuff in it. I soaked it overnight in no name phosphate free dishwasher soap and hosed it off. Also hosed off the skimmer filter. All looks like new.

We have new swim wear and hand wash in the sink without soap. Just rinse and hang dry.

A friend stopped in over the weekend with their kid for a dip. After they left later in the afternoon, the water bubbled from their swimwear for the evening. It was clear by morning.

Who knows what tomorrow brings?!

At the risk of starting a oil thread RE: Salt vs Chlorine vs Bromine etc.

I personally went with Bromine tablets in a floater which I take out when I’m in the tub. Got a shock treatment which is suppose to be used (adding 1 oz to the tub water) approximately once a week to oxidize the Bromine to keep it working and keep the water clear etc. (I ma have the terminology incorrect here). Test strips appear to show everything is ok so far.

Don’t know if it’s luck or not but, so far, so good.

It was recommended to get a second filter and rotate weekly and giving the dirty one a thorough cleaning. I’ve done this once so far. The original filter did have visible stuff in it. I soaked it overnight in no name phosphate free dishwasher soap and hosed it off. Also hosed off the skimmer filter. All looks like new.

We have new swim wear and hand wash in the sink without soap. Just rinse and hang dry.

A friend stopped in over the weekend with their kid for a dip. After they left later in the afternoon, the water bubbled from their swimwear for the evening. It was clear by morning.

Who knows what tomorrow brings?!

Weekly filter swap? How small are these filters? Mine needs monthly swaps (holds two filters that roughly fill a 5 gallon bucket when you are cleaning them)

I bought a 4 person plug and play 15 years ago on eBay for $750. Yes, eBay.

It's a solid fibreglass model made by the now defunct company Galboca. Over the years I've replaced about every part on the thing and replaced some of it with home automation compatible gear to the point where it's actually a pretty smart tub now. Did all the repairs myself over the years. Probably still have only about $1500 in it even after all the repairs.

Like most new hot tub owners, we used it a lot at the beginning, then less. Now I typically only use it in the shoulder seasons, spring and fall, and it's shut down the rest of the time. In the summer we use the pool. In the winter, my wife doesn't like going out when it's super cold...and being a plug and play, it an struggle with maintaining a temp in very cold weather once the cover is off. It also costs quite a lot (about $2-$3 a day in the winter) and was only getting used maybe 1 day a week.

In the end, still pretty happy though...the thing is like a Timex. It's even froze a few times (pump failures will without fail happen at -30c in February and it'll take you 3 days to notice it's happened) and thawed out without any leaks whatsoever.

Weekly filter swap? How small are these filters? Mine needs monthly swaps (holds two filters that roughly fill a 5 gallon bucket when you are cleaning them)

I’m still learning. I believe I was told monthly swaps is good. However, more frequent is good to keep the use of the Bromine down.

I was also told Chlorine is cheaper but, used more in the hot tub so the savings is offset and less “Work”.

Too early to tell for me. Seems like everyone has advice how they make their work.

I’ve had a fella tell me he doesn’t use any chemicals and dumps his water twice a year. New water in the spring and then in the fall.

Let’s just say I didn’t invite myself over for a soak. Lol.

Edit: It’s one large filter. Approximately 13” long and 5” in diameter.

I’m still learning. I believe I was told monthly swaps is good. However, more frequent is good to keep the use of the Bromine down.

I was also told Chlorine is cheaper but, used more in the hot tub so the savings is offset and less “Work”.

Too early to tell for me. Seems like everyone has advice how they make their work.

I’ve had a fella tell me he doesn’t use any chemicals and dumps his water twice a year. New water in the spring and then in the fall.

Let’s just say I didn’t invite myself over for a soak. Lol.

Edit: It’s one large filter. Approximately 13” long and 5” in diameter.

Most of it is preference. Except for a tub of hot water with no sanitizer. Either his tub is using ozone/if or similar or he is courting disaster(and even if it has something, no sanitizer is asking to get sick).
Theoretically change water every 100 days. I try not to change it when the outside taps are shut off due to obvious annoyance to refill so sometimes winter water is longer.

Back
Top Bottom