Hot tub anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hot tub anyone?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
So as always, I love the replies I get here and have taken many of them to fruition...and as I'm super bored at work today, wife and I got to chatting about plans for the backyard.
We have the normal wants...gazebo (diy or pre-built), deck (diy or contractor), and the discussion of hot tubs came up. I'm on board for it, and my wife is actually moving forward also, but I have no clue about these things...and not even sure about where to start.
Anyone have one? Can point me to some resources to do more research? Recommended types/makes/installers? My dad and I are fairly handy, and this will be done AFTER the deck is built (planning for spring 2020) but is something that's definitely in the near future (hopefully by Winter 2020).
Thanks!

I am personally not a fan.

I actually don't like using them for a long period of time as I find it too hot and stuffy. If I sit in on for more than 15 min, I feel like I am overheating and need to get out.

Also, I feel like the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick. I would hate to put one in and not use it after 2 years. But there is just a personal opinion.

As for installation.
Most places that you will buy from will include or offer installation service for a fee. You can also find private guys that do hot tub delivery/install.
My neighbor bought a 17 foot swim spa and they had to get a crane to bring it over the house. I think that was $1000+ alone.
If you get the standard size 4-6 person one, they can be set in place using special dollies that the installers have.

They will also give you a crash course on how to operate it and maintain it.

Purchasing.
If you do not want or do not need the latest and greatest you can save a good amount of money by purchasing last years model or even a showroom or road show unit.
The same neighbor saved around 5K by purchasing a show/display model.
If you go this way, you may not be able to customize it. (funky LED light, special jets, music, cup holders etc)
I will try to find out the name of the place they got theirs and info about the road show.

As for which brand/models are good.
Can't help you there as I have never had one and never looked into purchasing one.

Not a fan. Have one rotting away in my back yard, it's been disconnected for about 5 years. It was fun for the first seasons, after that it became a hassle to maintain, particularly since nobody was using it.

Installation involves a poured concrete pad, 60amp GFI power and an external shutoff switch. Most areas have bylaws that require a locked 5' perimeter fence and child proof exit locks on your house doors that have access to the tub area.

Heating is expensive. My 8 man costs about $35/mo in the summer and runs $70/mo in the winter. You can cut that own a little with a smaller tub, but not by much. Chemicals aren't that bad as the thing is close up most of the time. I used very little compared to my pool, I'm guessing $30-50/year.

Like oioioi, I stopped enjoying the thing after 2 years, as did my kids and wife.

If you are really interested, they are available for next to nothing from folks who have grown tired of them. Of the dozen or so people I know that bought them, none have them running after 5 years. I think a couple of my friends are giving their tubs away free to anyone who will cleanly remove them.

If I had to do it again, I' have bought a used Harley instead. Cheaper to operate, much better resale value if you get tired of the thing.

We have one use it every once in a while if you get one get a saltwater clorinator I currently have a saltron mini. Without the automatic clorinator it would be gone but as is I can not touch it for weeks and it maintains the clorine level so it is always ready to go. Without one you have to add chemicals every day and if you forget it becomes disgusting. Ours is a Jacuzzi for 2013 came with the house had zero issues. I also have a blue connect in it that monitors the pH temp and clorine and sends me an email if anything needs adjusted.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Mimico,

Check out this fella on YouTube. Production value is low but, information content is excellent.

I believe in Canada, Marquis is one of the manufactures that Chris Wheatley recommends. They meet the insulation, components and shell construction he recommends. He also goes through why and also has vids on salt vs chlorine etc.

He reviews some tubs such as Costco and points out what you get for the money. Or what you don’t get.

Sunrise out of Grimsby meets the shell and components but, fails with insulation according to Chris Wheatley.

A visit of Sunrise factory showroom, I couldn’t find anything close in price point and have been thinking I could do the additional insulation myself. Haven’t researched the cost and what is involved and it’s been awhile since I’ve look.

I enjoy my in-laws and friends hot tubs and seriously want one and know it will be used. Budget wise, I just haven’t pulled the trigger.

Just like motorcycles, they are not for everyone and not all tubs are good. And sometimes spending more doesn’t get you the best.

I’ve spend hours researching most makes but, I would say waste your time watching Chris’s vids and you should be set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is from my friend/neighbour

“I went hydro pool cause they are self cleaning and factory in Mississauga only Canadian hot tub company that sells worldwide so I thought better for any issues with parts “

She says she got theirs from a tent sale which was in April/May.

We have one wife uses it all the time, we bought ours second hand from the local hot tub shop. I have zero interest in it, i think that stems from my childhood in England and only taking baths not showers. Plus side you can use them all year around, fairly low maintenance. Negatives expect the hydro bill to up a tad.

Forgot one thing when i broke my ribs at the track i lived in the hot tub for a couple of weeks, only time i felt relief.

We have one wife uses it all the time, we bought ours second hand from the local hot tub shop. I have zero interest in it, i think that stems from my childhood in England and only taking baths not showers. Plus side you can use them all year around, fairly low maintenance. Negatives expect the hydro bill to up a tad.

Forgot one thing when i broke my ribs at the track i lived in the hot tub for a couple of weeks, only time i felt relief.
The most ads I've seen is a second hand one in Hamilton. I'm just at the early stages of research. But it's good to get everyone's input.

Thanks all as always!

I'm sure more will start to pop up.
Especially as the house selling season will be picking up with the spring or people redoing their backyards and needing them removed.

You can always get one and "store" it if you have room. Move and install later when you are ready.

I'm sure more will start to pop up.
Especially as the house selling season will be picking up with the spring or people redoing their backyards and needing them removed.

You can always get one and "store" it if you have room. Move and install later when you are ready.
Space is thankfully NOT at a premium at this point in time. But will be once we start filling up the back yard.

Which reminds me....need to call dad about building a deck and gazebo.

Have you thought about a pool instead of a hot tub?

You can't use it year round and its more expensive but I think it more enjoyable. Especially for the kids.

Have you thought about a pool instead of a hot tub?

You can't use it year round and its more expensive but I think it more enjoyable. Especially for the kids.
Yes we have. We will be putting in one of those above ground pools with the frame for support. A few relatives and friends have them and they're great for our needs. I'm not going to be putting in a permanent pool.

That's the way to go.

The permanent pools are sometimes more expensive to remove than to install.

With the semi-permanent ones, you can remove it once that novelty wears off.

That's the way to go.

The permanent pools are sometimes more expensive to remove than to install.

With the semi-permanent ones, you can remove it once that novelty wears off.
About 30k to remove it. When we were looking for a house a lot of nice ones had pools and we didn't want a pool. So I got quotes on removal. Thankfully (I think) we found a house without a pool.

I am not sure about Mississauga, but I know there are by-laws and regulations when needed to remove one.

You cannot just fill it in.

We also looked at a house in Georgetown that had a pool. It was only half sunken into the ground but still would have needed to be removed.

We got a kids a bouncy castle instead. 2 min to put up. 5 min to take down.

A while ago I saw plans for a wood fired hot tub. That actually appealed to me. Probably not exactly a “spur of the moment dip” type thing but maybe a bit more atmospheric perhaps? I might even look into it a bit further since I currently seem to be also looking at poor used car choices.

Back
Top Bottom