Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB750 Restoration (Not sure of the year, I think '79 or '80)

Only recomendation is be careful with the carb cleaner with the diaphram and the gaskets. It can eat away at the material.

Dumb question, but you changed the oil before trying to start it, right? If there's still old stuff in there it may be broken down or badly contaminated.

Ahah....
I see the problem(s).
Makes me want to smack yer dad!
No offense - I bet you have felt the same once or twice in your life...
(But if he did give the bike to you, he's a good guy I s'pose.)
That spark-plug thing is nasty huh?
It's your biggest problem right now.
I have every size Keihin main jet, and a shop manual, if I can help you.
Good luck (it's noble work),
Regards

Haha, yeah, when he said he was going to scrap the bike I almost snapped... I'm going to give it back to him when it's done... He doesn't know this yet... Thanks for the offer to help, I'll let you know if I get jammed...

Main, Pilot and needle jet holder.

The start is always the moment of truth! Keep up the work, its looking good.

Good to know, thanks for that info! Can't wait to hear it fire up!

Only recomendation is be careful with the carb cleaner with the diaphram and the gaskets. It can eat away at the material.

I made sure to keep anything fragile from soaking in the cleaner... Only metal parts are soaking!

Dumb question, but you changed the oil before trying to start it, right? If there's still old stuff in there it may be broken down or badly contaminated.

Uhhhhhh, no not yet... The plan was, oil change as soon as the bike's running. I know that's on the priority list... Any idea what type of oil for an old beater like this?

Today so far I got that busted bolt out of #2 carb bowl... The hole's a little mangled but the bolt is biting into the original threads pretty firmly... I think I'm good to go for that part now...

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback!

Uhhhhhh, no not yet... The plan was, oil change as soon as the bike's running. I know that's on the priority list... Any idea what type of oil for an old beater like this?

Dino 10w40 or 20w50 in the summer. Non-EC of course.

You will really want to change it before you start it up.

Nice project!! I love to see old bikes getting fixed up.

Helpful parts we site: http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/46-honda-1980-750-custom-CB750C/assemblies/1468

It shows what is on back order, discontinued, and if you click on the part description, it tells you what other bikes use the same part. Very useful!!

Very cool site!

This guy has a CB550 headlight for sale and it looks like it would fit:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=125117

Nice find, it does look the same, I'll ask the guy!

Dino 10w40 or 20w50 in the summer. Non-EC of course.

You will really want to change it before you start it up.

Duly noted... Cheers!

Looks like the project is on hold until next week... This weekend is a write off...I'll keep you fine peeps posted when it's rolling again!

Wow... Just posted a nights worth of pics and the effin site didn't work...

:mad:

2nd attempt...

Update:

Sunday- Rebuilt the carbs. No pics though, you saw them come apart so pics of them going together would be boring...

Monday- I kicked the bikes ass tonight. The original plan was to just remove the head to deal with my spark plug issue, but one thing lead to another...

Removed what I believe are called the crash bars...
CB%20750%20Custom%20075.jpg

Here they are off the bike...
CB%20750%20Custom%20076.jpg

Then removed the exhausts...
CB%20750%20Custom%20078.jpg

Here they are off the bike...
CB%20750%20Custom%20077.jpg

Next I removed the valve cover/cam cover/cylinder head cover (whatever you prefer)...
CB%20750%20Custom%20079.jpg

CB%20750%20Custom%20080.jpg

CB%20750%20Custom%20082.jpg

After loosening the cam chain tensioners, I removed the cam holders/cam journals...
CB%20750%20Custom%20083.jpg

Here are the camshafts almost ready to come out...
CB%20750%20Custom%20084.jpg

And they're out...
CB%20750%20Custom%20085.jpg

CB%20750%20Custom%20086.jpg

Trying to stay organized, these are the valve lifters and shims...
CB%20750%20Custom%20087.jpg

And the kicker of the night, I thought I could just sneak the head head off with the engine still in the frame... I was wrong, had to pull the engine out last minute...
CB%20750%20Custom%20088.jpg

Definately needs a cleaning...
CB%20750%20Custom%20090.jpg

Finally, mission accomplished...
CB%20750%20Custom%20091.jpg

The ever increasing organized mess on my work bench...
CB%20750%20Custom%20089.jpg

Here's my nights work on the floor...
CB%20750%20Custom%20092.jpg

Here's how she sits at the moment...
CB%20750%20Custom%20093.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaand gtam is having technical difficulties... I'll post the rest tomorrow...

Edit: Pics work... My super awesome comentary doesn't work.... Goodnight....

Edit in the AM... Put some words on the pics... Some still aint working... Oh well...

Last edited:
Looking awesome!!!!

I'm glad to see you are doing a complete job of it. Looking good! and your bench isn't as bad as mine with 2 fzr400 engines apart at the moment :)

Looking awesome!!!!

Thanks again!

I'm glad to see you are doing a complete job of it. Looking good! and your bench isn't as bad as mine with 2 fzr400 engines apart at the moment :)

LOL, my bench is pretty easy to sort out... 2 separate projects on the go for you?

So, I failed at removing that spark plug from the head. But good news, just got a call from my machine shop, THEY got it out... Not sure if they removed it or if they drilled / tapped / heli coiled it. Either way, time to go back up tonight to start rebuilding things...

LOL, my bench is pretty easy to sort out... 2 separate projects on the go for you?

One project a FZR400. When I sold my race bike a few years ago the guy didn't want any of the spares. Thought about selling them off, but after looking at the pile and a few beverages I thought "there must be a whole bikes worth there, lets see". So now I have a bike thats 80% complete. Just getting ready to put the engine in (had one engine I was rebuilding and a spare) and then finish up the electrical and carbs. Just need some non-race body work, or take the time to refinish what I have and I think it should be good to go.

One project a FZR400. When I sold my race bike a few years ago the guy didn't want any of the spares. Thought about selling them off, but after looking at the pile and a few beverages I thought "there must be a whole bikes worth there, lets see". So now I have a bike thats 80% complete. Just getting ready to put the engine in (had one engine I was rebuilding and a spare) and then finish up the electrical and carbs. Just need some non-race body work, or take the time to refinish what I have and I think it should be good to go.

Hey! Where's YOUR project tutorial!?!?! :D

So, started off with the good news of the plug coming out and having the whole night to rebuild the engine and get her back into the bike... But there are some minor setbacks... You'll see when you scroll down.

Here's #4, heli-coil in place...
CB%20750%20Custom%20094.jpg

The cylinder head after a decent cleaning...
CB%20750%20Custom%20095.jpg

The engine block after a decent cleaning...
CB%20750%20Custom%20096.jpg

Got the cams back in, set the timing of crankshaft, intake camshaft, and exhaust camshaft... Installed the camshaft holders... Lightly at first... Turned the engine by hand to ensure proper timing... Then again... Then again... Then again... And a few more times... While torquing down the cam holder bolts **** hit the fan for the night... Notice in the pic, two bolts are missing from the cam holders that are installed...
CB%20750%20Custom%20097.jpg

Closeup of the missing bolts...
CB%20750%20Custom%20098.jpg

CB%20750%20Custom%20099.jpg

And here they are... Before the questions, let me say, I followed the torque specs from the Clymers manual... 9 - 12 ft/lbs... I used 12 ft/lbs... Decided after (it was too late) that I should have used 9 ft/lbs... But I'll get the bolts from work tomorrow so no big deal... Damn lucky they didn't snap IN the block, they just make a "crack" sound, so I backed them out and saw the stretch marks... I busted them by hand after that... Lesson learned... Don't use max torque when doing this...
CB%20750%20Custom%20100.jpg

Since not much else could be done, cleaned up shop and my friend tried to see how well he could polish the cam cover by hand... Going to properly machine polish it in the end...
CB%20750%20Custom%20101.jpg

Overall, disappointed tonight... But life goes on and the bike will be done eventually... At least I got the cams in and the timing set tonight, that's good news...

Last edited:
Are the cam caps marked or did you mark their location?
Just wondering if the caps got mixed up???

I'm really enjoying this report, thanks for the effort.

I'm really enjoying this report, thanks for the effort.

Thanks, I'll keep them pics and posts coming!

Are the cam caps marked or did you mark their location?
Just wondering if the caps got mixed up???

They're all marked alphabetically, also I kept the dowels and bolts in their original positions too... I got some replacement OEM honda bolts from work, they're a few threads shorter but same grade bolts... Should be alright to use them...

Back
Top Bottom