Holy friggin increase, Batman. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Holy friggin increase, Batman.

There's no way that Toronto is going to be cheaper than Mississauga when it comes to insurance.

Yeah its more in Mississauga, that's where all the street racers are.....that's what my broker said. Brampton is worse. All this even though Viffer said location doesn't matter, although at the time we were talking bike insurance not car.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

WTF?! That is a good rate. Here are the quotes I got from Belair - it couldn't be more than double just because its a small Toyota Echo, could it?:

\

Seems Echo ain't cheap. I just did a quick online quote and got a result of $1,650. That is pretty crappy.
The variation of 10% in quotes is probably due to few different minor options that we picked.

I was paying $1,200 a year with them for a Lincoln Continental. A type of a car really makes a difference and the MSRP is not a big factor.

Try Desjardines, I had a slightly better quote from them for my truck but was too lazy to switch from Belair.

Yep, the vehicle seems to make a huge difference, even though I am surprised the echo is rated as poorly as it is. Seems it is hard to get both good fuel mileage and the best insurance rates at the same time.

I still can't get any rates as cheap as you report, but that is probably due to location. I am using a postal code fairly close to Square One, so that probably plays a factor.

WTF?! That is a good rate. Here are the quotes I got from Belair - it couldn't be more than double just because its a small Toyota Echo, could it?:

f2Bfq.png

Being a truck, the F150 will have one of the best Accident Benefits ratings, compared to the Toyota Echo with one of the worst. If there is a big difference in insurance premiums between these two vehicles, it is most likely due to Accident Benefits. Try doing a second quote on Belair using the F150 instead of your Echo to see what the difference it.

Yeah its more in Mississauga, that's where all the street racers are.....that's what my broker said. Brampton is worse. All this even though Viffer said location doesn't matter, although at the time we were talking bike insurance not car.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Location (aka Territory) is not often used as a rating variable for motorcycles, but it is one of the most significant rating variables for cars.

Yep, the vehicle seems to make a huge difference, even though I am surprised the echo is rated as poorly as it is. Seems it is hard to get both good fuel mileage and the best insurance rates at the same time.

I still can't get any rates as cheap as you report, but that is probably due to location. I am using a postal code fairly close to Square One, so that probably plays a factor.

The occupants of cheap small cars tend to get hurt worse than people in big trucks according the the Canadian Loss Experience Automobile Rating (CLEAR).

For autos, most companies map specific postal codes to territories. Usually (but not always) people in the same Forward Sortation Area (aka FSA, the first three characters of the postal code) will pay the same rate.

Last edited:
Being a truck, the F150 will have one of the best Accident Benefits ratings, compared to the Toyota Echo with one of the worst. If there is a big difference in insurance premiums between these two vehicles, it is most likely due to Accident Benefits. Try doing a second quote on Belair using the F150 instead of your Echo to see what the difference it.

Yep, tried it all out online based on one location. An F150 would cost me $260 less per year to insure, but a hell of a lot more than that in fuel... So I guess my rates are high both because of location (near Square One) as well as driving a small car...

And Demonpig, it does look like Dejardin might work out to be the cheapest for me as well, but not for home insurance... so I still need to do some searching to find the best overall combined rate.

Yep, tried it all out online based on one location. An F150 would cost me $260 less per year to insure, but a hell of a lot more than that in fuel... So I guess my rates are high both because of location (near Square One) as well as driving a small car...

And Demonpig, it does look like Dejardin might work out to be the cheapest for me as well, but not for home insurance... so I still need to do some searching to find the best overall combined rate.

I wrote a thread on CLEAR a long time ago if you are interested:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...r-compare&highlight=CLEAR+Vehicle+Rate+Groups

It shows you which vehicles are relatively cheap or expensive to insure.

Yes, as you guys say location is most likely another factor.
Even though I live in Mississauga, it's the South-West corner, right next to Oakville.
Most insurance companies would rate this zone much cheaper than Square One.

I know minivans are cheap as well as a lot of domestics like Taurus for example.
I guess you have to average out between insurance and fuel consumption.

Let us know which company you end up with for future reference. It's always good to have backups.

Shop around first

My car insurance (99 CR-V) went up $600 this year on renewal for no reason and with less benefits. I told them to shove it and shopped around. I now am have my car insurance with the same folks I have my house with and get my car for $100 less than I was paying last year plus a nice discount on home insurance. It really does pay to shop around. I no longer have any loyalty to a broker or insurer as I might have in the past.

Down grade the bike, at least you can still ride

I'm in the process of selling my SV and supping up a yammi BWS 50cc scooter. I find I don't have the time to nice highway rides and just commute to work within the city. Less money on gas and insurance. the only way to stick it to corporations is to give them less of your money.

Last edited:
The insurance companies are in the money business, they're trying to recoup their loses from the recession.

Y'know.... This I can believe.

'Couple of years ago I'm watching the sunday night news and I see a story on how "the cooperators" ins. company had taken a huge hit playing the stock market... share holders were mad... the company had lost millions... bla bla bla.

Later that week we get our auto ins. renewal notice from cooperators... They wanted to raise our rate(s) by about 50%...

I didn't even bother to call them... 'Just bought insurance elsewhere (for less that what I'd paid Cooperators the previous year) and let the cooperators policy expire.

After the expirey date I get a nasty letter from them telling me I'm expired and that if I don't remit immediately I'll be penalized bla bla bla..

What a ****in' gong show of an ins co.

Y'know.... This I can believe.

'Couple of years ago I'm watching the sunday night news and I see a story on how "the cooperators" ins. company had taken a huge hit playing the stock market... share holders were mad... the company had lost millions... bla bla bla.

The Co-operators didn't have any huge investment losses given the economic situation at the time, and insurance companies don't "play the market" since they're mandated to hold a relatively low-risk investment portfolio. Also, The Co-operators is a co-operative, so they don't have shareholders who can get mad. Other companies without shareholders include all of the mututals (such as State Farm).

Later that week we get our auto ins. renewal notice from cooperators... They wanted to raise our rate(s) by about 50%...

You were likely in the top 1% of people with the largest increases. If your company increased everyone by 50% at one time, then would lose all of their business. If they increase your rate by 50%, they don't expect you to stay.

I didn't even bother to call them... 'Just bought insurance elsewhere (for less that what I'd paid Cooperators the previous year) and let the cooperators policy expire.

After the expirey date I get a nasty letter from them telling me I'm expired and that if I don't remit immediately I'll be penalized bla bla bla..

This is normal. Insurance policies do not expire, then must be actively cancelled by you as the policyholder. This is a safety measure in place so that people who simply forget to pay their bills aren't driving/riding around unknowingly uninsured.

I just want to stab insurance in the mouth over and over and over and over again until they ****ing die. I just got a letter in the mail saying that my new policy cost will magically rise from $124.51 to $169.11. Gee ok, why not just make it rise to some other arbitrary number while you're at it, you ****ing ********? What was SO different exactly 1 millisecond before they decided to change this value on me such that this number needs to be changed? This is a 36% increase! I'm with State Farm, and have no tickets and have done NO wrongdoings of any kind. Let me restate this: I have done nothing wrong. I've followed all the rules and summarily I now have increased costs to receive the exact same coverage as before.

Insurance is such an awful scam, it pains my balls to have anything in the world to do with it. There's NO WAY State Farm's costs "to protect me" have magically risen 36% since they quoted me my original amount back in October.

**** you, everyone in the insurance industry, for propagating this awful scam and justifying it with your drivel and ********, as if it's somehow MY FAULT for this. **** you.

I just want to stab insurance in the mouth over and over and over and over again until they ****ing die. I just got a letter in the mail saying that my new policy cost will magically rise from $124.51 to $169.11. Gee ok, why not just make it rise to some other arbitrary number while you're at it, you ****ing ********? What was SO different exactly 1 millisecond before they decided to change this value on me such that this number needs to be changed? This is a 36% increase! I'm with State Farm, and have no tickets and have done NO wrongdoings of any kind. Let me restate this: I have done nothing wrong. I've followed all the rules and summarily I now have increased costs to receive the exact same coverage as before.

Insurance is such an awful scam, it pains my balls to have anything in the world to do with it. There's NO WAY State Farm's costs "to protect me" have magically risen 36% since they quoted me my original amount back in October.

**** you, everyone in the insurance industry, for propagating this awful scam and justifying it with your drivel and ********, as if it's somehow MY FAULT for this. **** you.

Look at your renewal notes for the reasons for your rate increase. An increase this large is not simply an overall rate adjustment. It might tell you which rating variables were adjusted which resulted in your significant increase; if it doesn't, then call your agent and start asking questions. I agree that a 36% increase is huge, but you will certainly be the exception to the norm as far as SF clients are concerned (although that really isn't much of a consolation).

I have friends who have worse driving records and less driving experience getting much better rates than I am just because they live around QEW/Erin Mills (mississauga) and I live around Chingcousy park in Brampton.
Location Location Location.

To the OP....try Desjardnes insurance http://www.desjardins.com/en/ ...when my Car insurance doubled last year for no reason (and when I called they admitted there was nothing I did) I went with them. When Statefarm raised my premiums on my bike I called them and they put me on there sister company "The Personal Insurance" and I'm getting a great rate with my 2 vehs combined.

Last edited:
...Later that week we get our auto ins. renewal notice from Cooperators... They wanted to raise our rate(s) by about 50%...

I too use Cooperators. Car decreased $180 (After spouse backed into a car in a parking lot, huge increase first year, now decrease in second year of 6 years of repentence), Bike did not increase nor decrease. I am in ScarboroAsia, specifically Asiacourt.

The Co-operators didn't have any huge investment losses given the economic situation at the time, and insurance companies don't "play the market" since they're mandated to hold a relatively low-risk investment portfolio. Also, The Co-operators is a co-operative, so they don't have shareholders who can get mad. Other companies without shareholders include all of the mututals (such as State Farm).

You were likely in the top 1% of people with the largest increases. If your company increased everyone by 50% at one time, then would lose all of their business. If they increase your rate by 50%, they don't expect you to stay.

This is normal. Insurance policies do not expire, then must be actively cancelled by you as the policyholder. This is a safety measure in place so that people who simply forget to pay their bills aren't driving/riding around unknowingly uninsured.

TRhis was about 7-8 years ago... so details are fuzzy... I gues my point was/is... F*** 'em... A customer for 10-12 years... 'Never made a claim or had a ticket and they want to raise my rate by 50%...???
'Not even gonna waste the dime on a phone call to find out why...

Back
Top Bottom