Holy friggin increase, Batman. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Holy friggin increase, Batman.

Motorcycle Mike

Sorry this isn't bike related -- can't afford a bike anymore.

Got my insurance renewal yesterday, rate is going up 23% from last year! From $1650 to $2028 despite no claims or tickets in 18 years of driving.

Now, before Viffer et al. chime in, I know why it is going up. Fraudulent claims, lawsuits, cost of rehabilitation, yada yada yada, but the point is something seriously needs to be done about these causes as it makes no sense that a good driver gets a 23% increase in one year.

Is everyone else getting raped just as bad? Worse?

You stated the reasons.if you had a bad record it would have gone up even more. Move on

The insurance companies claim it's due to fraudulent claims et al., but I call bull****. The insurance companies are in the money business, they're trying to recoup their loses from the recession.

Sent from my Desire HD

You stated the reasons.if you had a bad record it would have gone up even more. Move on

Typical 'just put up with it' lackadaisical Canadian response... how about we start pressuring politicians as well as insurance companies to do something to fix the problem, not just accept it?

I've already sent out 3 letters to MPPs about this, but my 3 letters mean sweet **** all unless everyone else who is ****** off about these increases complains too.

Sorry to hear that :(

It can depend on a lot... age, location, bike, etc.. I'm paying $1090/year, full coverage, all perils, $250 deductible and 2mil liability through Jevco for a 2006 Honda VFR 800A, but I'm also 30 with no tickets... maybe call around?

Is the bike you got a quote for a black listed bike?

Sorry this isn't bike related -- can't afford a bike anymore.

Got my insurance renewal yesterday, rate is going up 23% from last year! From $1650 to $2028 despite no claims or tickets in 18 years of driving.

Now, before Viffer et al. chime in, I know why it is going up. Fraudulent claims, lawsuits, cost of rehabilitation, yada yada yada, but the point is something seriously needs to be done about these causes as it makes no sense that a good driver gets a 23% increase in one year.

Is everyone else getting raped just as bad? Worse?

Shop around first

Mine was a little less this year even considering the added benefits I had to buy to bring me back up to pre Sept 2010 changes - basically remained the same. Did you shop around? Did you consider maintaining as an occasional driver?

Last edited:

That's not the "reason", he's getting ripped off by his current insurance company. My insurance went down , as has others. There was a thread about it on here if you search for it.

This is for my car, as some in this thread seem to think otherwise.
I have shopped around and my current company is still one of the cheapest, although insurancehotline.com claims AXA might be slightly cheaper - I plan to call them on Tuesday to find out for sure.
I think this was the increase that was coming for most, just slightly delayed for me. My insurance went up by about $30 a year last year.... but this year nearing $400 increase is too much for me.

I am 35, married, 18.5 years driving with no accidents and no tickets and drive an older Echo, but it is hard to find coverage for less than $2000 a year in Mississauga. If anyone has any suggested companies or brokers, let me know and I will call them Tuesday.

Funny how I was looking through all the old quotes I did online at TD insurance, and back in 2002 I was quoted $350 a year for a 1985 Golf... now, only 9 years later and it is hard for me to find coverage for less than 470% of that.

Hey Diesel just who in hell is that insurance company that is ripping you off? I have about the same age as you (39) and the same clean record, has had a licence since 1990 and I live in Toronto, I am paying $1,200/yr for a 1998 Chevy Venture minivan. There's no way that Toronto is going to be cheaper than Mississauga when it comes to insurance.

I'm with Portage now... AXA might be cheaper. Who are you with? I want to call them Tuesday and see what they will offer me.

This is for my car, as some in this thread seem to think otherwise.
I have shopped around and my current company is still one of the cheapest, although insurancehotline.com claims AXA might be slightly cheaper - I plan to call them on Tuesday to find out for sure.
I think this was the increase that was coming for most, just slightly delayed for me. My insurance went up by about $30 a year last year.... but this year nearing $400 increase is too much for me.

I am 35, married, 18.5 years driving with no accidents and no tickets and drive an older Echo, but it is hard to find coverage for less than $2000 a year in Mississauga. If anyone has any suggested companies or brokers, let me know and I will call them Tuesday.

Funny how I was looking through all the old quotes I did online at TD insurance, and back in 2002 I was quoted $350 a year for a 1985 Golf... now, only 9 years later and it is hard for me to find coverage for less than 470% of that.

Try Primmum. I have a car and a pickup with them for less than what you are paying for your 1 car.

Hey Diesel just who in hell is that insurance company that is ripping you off? I have about the same age as you (39) and the same clean record, has had a licence since 1990 and I live in Toronto, I am paying $1,200/yr for a 1998 Chevy Venture minivan. There's no way that Toronto is going to be cheaper than Mississauga when it comes to insurance.

And what are you basing this on? Mississauga rates are some of the worst in the GTA.

Diesel,

It sounds like your insurance company adjusted their rating factors and you were unlucky enough to get hit with more than one. Since you live in Mississauga (which tends to have horrible claims experience) it is quite likely that your insurer targeted a rate increase there. Shop around and find something cheaper if you can. If you can't find something cheaper, then there's a good chance that you were simply getting a steal of a deal before.

OP - what kind of car do you have? 2 way insurance?

I'm 32, clean record, pay $990/year, one way for a '98 F-150. With Belair. Live in Mississauga.

WTF?! That is a good rate. Here are the quotes I got from Belair - it couldn't be more than double just because its a small Toyota Echo, could it?:

f2Bfq.png

Sorry to hear that :(

It can depend on a lot... age, location, bike, etc.. I'm paying $1090/year, full coverage, all perils, $250 deductible and 2mil liability through Jevco for a 2006 Honda VFR 800A, but I'm also 30 with no tickets... maybe call around?

Is the bike you got a quote for a black listed bike?

Not bad at all seeing how basic is costing me $1300 for my 750f. I to am 30 no tix and 10 years riding.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom