Holiday destinations | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Holiday destinations

Ouch. We've been on north of 20 cruises now and even when our kids were cruising with us long ago we never paid that much for a cruise.

The last few we've been on were under $2500 for the wife and I. The last one on Oasis of the Seas this past December was $1200 with about $400 in airfare and incidentals, still under $2000 all in.

Everytime I look at all inclusives and resorts etc etc, I'm reminded how good of a deal cruising is. And you're treated well, delectable food out the yingyang at every turn, and tons of stuff to do on the ship. That's before any of the ports themselves.
I am in the same boat (excuse the pun, or enjoy it as you see fit). Never thought I'd like cruising, but ever since my first one it's now my favourite way to travel.

After cruising for a few years I looked into the price of an all inclusive resort and no thank you. We can cruise twice a year for what the average all inclusive goes for for 7 days.

You can book a 7 day Northbound Alaska trip out of Vancouver on NCL leaving this April for $2,382 pp taxes and fees in. I would also do the 7 day Southbound again to Vancouver, slightly more expensive but now I'm on vacation for 14 days for `~$5k.

Flights not included, as they are not offering included airfare since it's less than 120 days until the sail date.

Certainly not peak Alaska cruising season by any stretch, but I'm sure it has it's charms early season and it wouldn't be crowded. I picked this example because it was the cheapest currently offered. Lots of Bermuda and Caribbean offerings as well that are still less than $1k/pp for 7 days or more.

Cruise pricing can seem strange, because it is. All of the lines seem to obfuscate the actual out the door price for some odd reason. They give you a base price, but there is daily service charges and other fees that add up substantially. This is all clearly stated in the contract and on the booking pages but people miss is and ***** about it later. The important thing to do when pricing a cruise is to make sure you select to pre-pay service charges. This way the ~$20pp/day fee will be included in your original invoice, not on one you get on your last day onboard. The last day on a cruise is always busy at the customer service counter with people who couldn't be bothered to read the T&C's they agreed upon.

Wife and I are doing a 12 day Scottland, Ireland and Norway cruise that ends in Iceland in late May this year. We are at $5,485 taxes in for flights into London 2 days before cruise, transfer to the port from London, all cruise fares and service charges and our flights home. through NCL. Only thing we are paying for on top of this is our London hotel for 2 days and food and that's going to be close to $1,000 CAD when it's all said and done.

All that being said, I find a cruise ship is just a resort that moves. Crowds are not an issue and service is normally excellent. It's amazing how you can be on a ship with ~2000 passengers and you end up only seeing the same ~50 people over and over again. Where do the others go?

We have Alaska booked last week of June , fly into Alaska and take the train into Denali , hike around Mt Makinly . 3 days hiking around the park , train back to coast and 7 days southbound to Van. With flights and transfers it’s just under 15k for 2 . The side excursions are pretty steep , 5 hr sea kayak rental is $600 ea . Salmon fishing 1/2 day is 1k . But we probably won’t be back there any time soon so…

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

We have Alaska booked last week of June , fly into Alaska and take the train into Denali , hike around Mt Makinly . 3 days hiking around the park , train back to coast and 7 days southbound to Van. With flights and transfers it’s just under 15k for 2 . The side excursions are pretty steep , 5 hr sea kayak rental is $600 ea . Salmon fishing 1/2 day is 1k . But we probably won’t be back there any time soon so…

And here I am complaining about Mexico excursions for $150-250EUR/pp….

Looks like I won’t be leaving the hotel much.

I am in the same boat (excuse the pun, or enjoy it as you see fit). Never thought I'd like cruising, but ever since my first one it's now my favourite way to travel.

After cruising for a few years I looked into the price of an all inclusive resort and no thank you. We can cruise twice a year for what the average all inclusive goes for for 7 days.

You can book a 7 day Northbound Alaska trip out of Vancouver on NCL leaving this April for $2,382 pp taxes and fees in. I would also do the 7 day Southbound again to Vancouver, slightly more expensive but now I'm on vacation for 14 days for `~$5k.

Flights not included, as they are not offering included airfare since it's less than 120 days until the sail date.

Certainly not peak Alaska cruising season by any stretch, but I'm sure it has it's charms early season and it wouldn't be crowded. I picked this example because it was the cheapest currently offered. Lots of Bermuda and Caribbean offerings as well that are still less than $1k/pp for 7 days or more.

Cruise pricing can seem strange, because it is. All of the lines seem to obfuscate the actual out the door price for some odd reason. They give you a base price, but there is daily service charges and other fees that add up substantially. This is all clearly stated in the contract and on the booking pages but people miss is and ***** about it later. The important thing to do when pricing a cruise is to make sure you select to pre-pay service charges. This way the ~$20pp/day fee will be included in your original invoice, not on one you get on your last day onboard. The last day on a cruise is always busy at the customer service counter with people who couldn't be bothered to read the T&C's they agreed upon.

Wife and I are doing a 12 day Scottland, Ireland and Norway cruise that ends in Iceland in late May this year. We are at $5,485 taxes in for flights into London 2 days before cruise, transfer to the port from London, all cruise fares and service charges and our flights home. through NCL. Only thing we are paying for on top of this is our London hotel for 2 days and food and that's going to be close to $1,000 CAD when it's all said and done.

All that being said, I find a cruise ship is just a resort that moves. Crowds are not an issue and service is normally excellent. It's amazing how you can be on a ship with ~2000 passengers and you end up only seeing the same ~50 people over and over again. Where do the others go?
What site are you using to look these up? Do you have to go to each individual cruise line to get prices or is there a similar search engine to google flights that lets you see everything. The cheap 1k ones sound tempting just to get away for a week with good food.

Book a big AirBnB if there’s a bunch of you going. You can filter for properties with a pool etc. No getting up at dawn to throw towels over chairs.
Too late now. 100% paid so maybe for next time.

23 of us going.

Holy crap man…I know a bunch that big that booked a whole Italian ranch with olive groves etc for a song (way less than a hotel). Once you get to big groups the opportunities can really open up for properties but I would switch to VRBO rather than AirBnB at that size.
Ya…our group grows fast. 2 families = 10 people right off the bat.

Just between us, cousins, and close friends we have 16 people.

Then add a brother of one friend (4), another brother that just his wife (1) and then their father who lost his wife.

Adds up fast.

Ya…our group grows fast. 2 families = 10 people right off the bat.

Just between us, cousins, and close friends we have 16 people.

Then add a brother of one friend (4), another brother that just his wife (1) and then their father who lost his wife.

Adds up fast.

I just had a quick browse through VRBO. There was an entire multi cabin property for 28 people on there. Lots of houses that sleep 10 (book 2 or 3 in the same place/same gated community). If we head off with friends we are definitely getting one big property to share, as it is we usually get one big place just for the two of us and it’s always less than a hotel would be.

This is where I’d pick again for something different, Nicaragua. Look at the prices and what you can get… example

Check out this place in Granada I found on Vrbo: https://t.vrbo.io/25eHEQZoJGb

Or private beach?

Check out this place in Comarca el Guayabo, I found on Vrbo: https://t.vrbo.io/RiwlDncpJGb

Or push the boat out (literally) for a private island

Check out this place in Granada I found on Vrbo: https://t.vrbo.io/7J9OlVipJGb

One more….lots of bedrooms, great price. Check out this place in Granada I found on Vrbo: https://t.vrbo.io/MNHu4urpJGb

Have a look at my friends new “hotel “ in Nicaragua. Google Casa cha cha cha . Yeah seriously.

When we did Italy last , we rented a house in an olive plantation in Tuscany that slept 16 comfortably. 10k for the month high season. Outdoor grill , pool hot tub , ping pong table in the orchard . Spit into 1-2wk blocks , some stayed the month , it was about $300 per couple for a week , with groceries.

Have a look at my friends new “hotel “ in Nicaragua. Google Casa cha cha cha . Yeah seriously.

Of course it is in San Juan Del Sur...

Also in San Juan Del Sur

1706458903295.png

Last year we paid $2800 for the 5 of us. For that price I can forgive a lot!

But $4500 for Cuba V $5200 for Mexico is an easy decision.

Never been on a cruise or felt the urge of a cruise.
That's pretty good we pay 15 to 20k for the 4 of us to go for 2 weeks at Christmas. The place we go chairs aren't an issue and 5 huge pools. Even when full is never busy or crowded

Sent from the future

I like to avoid the nagging wife so I try to usually vacay alone

That buys you 7-14 days a yr then the cycle starts again . I vacay without her sometimes because we do different stuff, she doesn’t like cold so ski / snow sledding / out . 10 days at sea she would kill someone. Anything involving fishing is out . But beach/ sun/ big boats , hiking and she is all in and never nagging . Great solution to nagging is called divorce.

From what I understand chilaquiles are usually not in sopa form, but damnit this was good(heck of a breakfast)
IMG_2801-compressed.jpeg

How’s your cholesterol?

Temporary sacrifice im afraid, keeping my portions in check and still managing to hit the gym regularly though

Back
Top Bottom