Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit or Flop? Ford Maverick

Another option a buddy is waiting on delivery of a 2022 GMC Sierra AT4 with a 3.0 Duramax diesel. I’m interested to see how it is.
FWIW, I have friends with a construction company. They only buy GM trucks and have for the past 40+ years. The trucks are towing decent sized trailers at least once a week (tandem dump, car hauler, tandem flatbed etc). The last diesel they bought was in the 80's. Their opinion is unless you are towing literally all the time, the diesel is not worth the premium (upfront and maintenance). They haven't had a gas engine or transmission crap out in decades. Obviously, their fuel bills have been higher than with diesels. Ymmv.

hybrid is a no brainer, we are all dreaming if you think fuel prices are going to get any cheaper.

If you look at my first few posts *years* ago on the electric car thread, several times I was preaching hybrid.

Why automakers were so slow to respond to hybrid and electric tech bewilders me to this day....
Hybrid is heavy and expensive. You need all of the parts of an EV and all of the parts of an ICE vehicle. Obviously you save decent money on battery compared to a BEV so hybrid may come out cheaper up front but maintenance and fuel costs will be far far higher over time.

Hybrid is heavy and expensive..

same was said of electric cars, yet look whats happening....

hybrid will be the norm, just as electric cars will be. mass production will bring down costs.

the problem is, carmakers look at customer needs "today", now they are understanding everybody wants a hybrid and electric.

Tesla figured this out years ago, while the giants were sleeping.

I’m debating for my next truck should I go?
F150 with 3.5 turbo with hybrid? Most power, best mpg, but $8000 option
F150 with 3.5 turbo? Meh mpg, enough power
F150 5.0 NA? Meh mpg enough power, v8 sound and long term reliability
I can't comment on the hybrid, but I used to have a 2014 with the 3.5 V6 and currently have a 2020 with the 5.0 V8. We also now have a number of 2021 2.7's in our fleet (only ones we could get). If I was buying for myself (these are company trucks), I'd get the 2.7 for mileage if I didn't need to tow anything substantial. But if you do, the economy will plummet and it'll drink gas like crazy. If I need to tow (and frankly, if you don't, why are you getting a truck?), I'm getting the 3.5. It's now very reliable, and has a good bit more more torque than the V8. The V6 pulls just as hard, doesn't have any noticeable turbo lag issues and is just as responsive as the V8, and mileage is broadly similar.

Mostly unloaded, I'm seeing an average of 13.5 l/100 km with the V8, and that drops to around 10 when driven gently at 100 km/h on the highway (all reported by the computer, haven't measured fill-ups). I was hoping the V8 would have more rumble than the 6, but it's pretty dull sounding. At least the EcoBoost gives you that turbo whine. The V6 I had got similar numbers, though it was the older steel frame body and in BC, where the climbs can destroy your economy.

On the reliability side, the five turbos we bought in 2013 (2014 models) are all still going strong with odometers reading between 200-300,000 kms. No issues with the engine or turbo that I know of. They're all maintained by a Ford dealership as per spec, but definitely not babied and are work trucks.

Overall, the differences are minimal, though. You'd be satisfied with either one, I think. Until you have to pump 120+ litres to fill up...

My new Ford did not yet have a hybrid option. But it’s 30%? Better than my F150 so far . I no longer tow so the truck was not needed .
My buddies all just went to Miami , 6 various trucks all towing identical 30ft sailboats , tall windage. Reports are $900 to $1500 fuel across the fleet . I don’t miss that at all .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I've done the math. Depending on the price of gas (I'm expecting$2/liter) it should cost about $3200 to drive the Roadtrek out to NL and back this summer.
Just money. We make it every day

Back
Top Bottom