Hit by a cab today... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit by a cab today...

dru9

...while walking! I suppose it's my own damn fault for walking near a cab, but I had to go there.
Cab is parked in front of another cab, about 10 feet of space between them. I looked both ways (I was taught that as a small child), then stepped off the curb between them, coffee in hand. Bam! Cab in front backs straight into me. Didn't knock me down, but hard and fast enough that I had no time to move - even spilled my coffee a bit.
I walked to the driver's window and he just looked at me... then continued to back up while the cab behind him was honking away. I knocked on his window and gave him the universal symbol to roll down the window, which he does staring at me like nothing happened. I said, "If you're going to drive into me, at least say sorry!". To which he replied, "Sorry, sorry," very meekly.
I was quite proud that I didn't freak out. At least I wasn't on my bike!

Cabbies - to be given a wide berth unless you're drivin' a big rig, in which case, you're doing the world a favour every time you squish one or three :cool:

...while walking! I suppose it's my own damn fault for walking near a cab, but I had to go there.
Cab is parked in front of another cab, about 10 feet of space between them. I looked both ways (I was taught that as a small child), then stepped off the curb between them, coffee in hand. Bam! Cab in front backs straight into me. Didn't knock me down, but hard and fast enough that I had no time to move - even spilled my coffee a bit.
I walked to the driver's window and he just looked at me... then continued to back up while the cab behind him was honking away. I knocked on his window and gave him the universal symbol to roll down the window, which he does staring at me like nothing happened. I said, "If you're going to drive into me, at least say sorry!". To which he replied, "Sorry, sorry," very meekly.
I'm glad someone's proud of your actions. I would have AT LEAST gotten a cab number and reported it to his company.

I use to drive truck in the down town core. Some how we have a worse rap the cabbies.

In general, the cabbies win it hands down. For over a decade, I've been telling people that the truckers are the most professional drivers out there and that I'd trust them over any others. Unfortunately, with the recent increase in the focus on cutting costs, they are under more stress and the companies are beginning to hire guys who got their licenses out of crackerjack boxes instead of paying for proper professionals, so I have seen an increase in truck driver stupidity, including:
1) Camping in the passing lane of a major highway.. Cops don't seem to give a **** [No.1 peeve, by far]
2) Using their size to force unnecessary lane-changes (yes, I know that the cagers don't like letting trucks merge, but sometimes, there's no need for it and they still go there come hell or high water)
3) Dangerous tailgating - I've seen one big rig tailgate cagers at distances that I wouldn't dare follow in a car - the dude was really raging - the trailer belonged to a major grocery chain

I was in cab last year. coming off jarvis exit from gardiner. cab takes inside left lane with truck in right lane both making a left. the cab either should have gunned it out to make the left first or wait behind truck to give him his needed wide birth to make the left. cab didn't do either so trucks back wheels ended up riding over the front of the cab.
funny cops were right there. the cab driver instantly tries to tell me that it wasnt his fault. and that i should tell the cops that it was the truckers fault. ya right. sure thing cabby.
I got a free cab ride and walked on home.

I use to drive truck in the down town core. Some how we have a worse rap the cabbies.
I have a lot of respect for truck drivers, especially downtown. Having people honking and swerving around you has to be stressfull when you're trying to back into a loading dock.

But I agree with FiReSTaRT - the crop seems to be lacking skill.

I'm glad someone's proud of your actions. I would have AT LEAST gotten a cab number and reported it to his company.
I may be wrong, but I don't think this would have mattered a hell of a lot.

I agree... you shouldn't have let it go. I would have reported it for sure!! They never look where they are going and to tell you the truth... I don't think they give a $^@*! I hear about this sort of thing happening every other day by my work and everyone complains but never does anything about it!

I liked your response. I hope in the same situation I have the same coolness.

To all those suggesting the firing squad for the cabby - the guy screwed up. That happens. He was called on it. He even, begrudgingly, apoligized. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Have you never screwed up while driving?

I liked your response. I hope in the same situation I have the same coolness.

To all those suggesting the firing squad for the cabby - the guy screwed up. That happens. He was called on it. He even, begrudgingly, apoligized. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Have you never screwed up while driving?

I'm sure everyone has screwed up while driving, but the fact that he didn't bother apologize to begin with and had to be prompted to do so is kinda messed up!

EVERYONE who screws up publicly acts exactly the same way. I have about 4 vids so far of people majorly screwing me to the point of near collisions.. and what does EVERY single person do.. look the other way and pretend they saw/heard/felt nothing. Its normal now to not give a crap about your neighbors...

I'm sure everyone has screwed up while driving, but the fact that he didn't bother apologize to begin with and had to be prompted to do so is kinda messed up!

EVERYONE who screws up publicly acts exactly the same way. I have about 4 vids so far of people majorly screwing me to the point of near collisions.. and what does EVERY single person do.. look the other way and pretend they saw/heard/felt nothing. Its normal now to not give a crap about your neighbors...

+1!!!! i dont understand where people picked this up from.... saying sorry or making it right doesn't even bleep in they're minds i guess...

if he hit me and didnt say sorry, i would pour my hot coffee all over his hood and promptly give him the finger and walk away. he can either get out of his damn cab and clean it himself or let the coffee eat through his paint.

Anytime I see a trucker do something wrong or be agreesive I think, how homicidal would I be being behind the wheel for 8 hours in Toronto all the time. Then I give them a wide berth and hope their day gets better.

I always assumed it was because maybe the country they came from didn't have the courtesy we were taught here as kids. There is no real way to know though. I just record as much of it as possible. Documenting retardedness, people go ape **** when they know I am recording them.. its quite funny.

+1!!!! i dont understand where people picked this up from.... saying sorry or making it right doesn't even bleep in they're minds i guess...

if he hit me and didnt say sorry, i would pour my hot coffee all over his hood and promptly give him the finger and walk away. he can either get out of his damn cab and clean it himself or let the coffee eat through his paint.
I got a bit on his trunk, but I really wanted to keep the rest ;)

Maybe not, but if you complain to the cab company AND your municipality, eventually something will happen.

Anytime I see a trucker do something wrong or be agreesive I think, how homicidal would I be being behind the wheel for 8 hours in Toronto all the time. Then I give them a wide berth and hope their day gets better.
Excellent point... You know that radio antenna climber job (video around here somewhere), I'd rather do that then drive a semi through Toronto

Back
Top Bottom